PhD/PsyD Emotional beliefs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MattMVS7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that there are two types of beliefs. One is rational and the other is irrational (emotional). If someone has lost his/her spiritual belief in the afterlife and absolutely needs it in his/her life to function and is traumatized without it, then how would one at least give him/her an irrational belief in the afterlife even though he/she knows rationally that it's not true?

Having this irrational belief is all that he/she needs. It is just to make him/her feel better and to give him/her a sense of hope and comfort even though he/she knows rationally that it's not true. Is there any sort of therapeutic process one can go through in order to give this person an irrational emotional based belief in the afterlife?

Members don't see this ad.

There's no scientific basis for any of these assumptions.
Emotional based beliefs are known to exist. For example, with pseudo skeptics, they have an irrational emotional based belief in skepticism. They are irrational materialists who don't believe in the afterlife.

Members don't see this ad :)
P
L
A
C
B
O

Reactions: 1 user
This question presumes a lot. First and foremost, it presumes that the only course of treatment is to establish a single outcome (i.e., return to previous belief set). This is not congruent with pretty-much literally every practice for treating disorders (e.g., PTSD and irrational beliefs of not being safe with triggers around, Depression and irrational beliefs about the self/world/others, etc.). I'm not sure why this is being assumed. As Psydr mentions, there is no scientific basis for this.

This question presumes a lot. First and foremost, it presumes that the only course of treatment is to establish a single outcome (i.e., return to previous belief set). This is not congruent with pretty-much literally every practice for treating disorders (e.g., PTSD and irrational beliefs of not being safe with triggers around, Depression and irrational beliefs about the self/world/others, etc.). I'm not sure why this is being assumed. As Psydr mentions, there is no scientific basis for this.
Well, aside from that, would there be any sort of process that could be done to give this person an irrational emotional based belief in the afterlife?

I realize that there are two types of beliefs. One is rational and the other is irrational (emotional). If someone has lost his/her spiritual belief in the afterlife and absolutely needs it in his/her life to function and is traumatized without it, then how would one at least give him/her an irrational belief in the afterlife even though he/she knows rationally that it's not true?

Having this irrational belief is all that he/she needs. It is just to make him/her feel better and to give him/her a sense of hope and comfort even though he/she knows rationally that it's not true. Is there any sort of therapeutic process one can go through in order to give this person an irrational emotional based belief in the afterlife?
I don't think you grasp meaning of the concept of rational/irrational beliefs, at all. You're mixing them both up into nonsense.

Reactions: 1 user