Emotional Support Animal on Medical School Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LTUbluedevil

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an emotional support dog living with me at school to help with my anxiety. I was wondering if this will affect my acceptance to Medical School? Or if it will even come up on my applications My anxiety does not affect my academic performance but I am unsure if having that show up somehow on my record will affect how medical schools view me.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight.

Members don't see this ad.

How would anyone every find out? And more importantly why would they care? Many of my classmates have pets...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have an emotional support dog living with me at school to help with my anxiety. I was wondering if this will affect my acceptance to Medical School? Or if it will even come up on my applications My anxiety does not affect my academic performance but I am unsure if having that show up somehow on my record will affect how medical schools view me.
How would anyone every find out?
Might any of your LOR writers mention it?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight.
I can't sugar coat this, if your anxiety is that bad, medical school will kill you. But I can't see how this would affect you unless you ask for accommodations for the animal..I can't see your getting this granted.

Or on rotations? There is one sdner who posted about their experience bringing a therapy dog on rotations.

Good point. I have a friend who is a medical student, and one of his classmates failed their surgery rotation because she was not allowed to bring her dog in the OR.

OP, I'm sure after you get accepted you can ask to bring your dog with you to classes.

ESAs do not have any public access. Medical facilities are subject to different sets of rules and regulations under the ADA. Service dogs are generally allowed in the waiting area, but not back in any sterile rooms (such as surgery). ESAs are only allowed in apartment housing that is not dog-friendly, or on airplanes. That is it. My biggest pet peeve is when dogs are places they should not be. It's annoying for service dog handlers, it's annoying for patrons of the facility, it's annoying to everyone around. Therapy dogs are completely different and require specific training, they must pass a test, provide support to others, and they are only allowed into hospitals, nursing homes, schools etc. with an invitation.

^ sorry that was a lot, but I'm sick and tired of all the misinformation surrounding service dogs, ESAs and therapy dogs. This isn't targeted at anyone, just wanted to clear up the three.

To OP:
Your ESA shouldn't come up at all on interviews or applications. The only time it may come up is in your rental history when finding new housing for medical school, and you will have to disclose your animal as well as your diagnosis to get housing accommodation. I would suggest living outside of campus sanctioned housing for medical school if you want to keep that part of your life private as you don't need to disclose your ESA to medical schools unless you plan on living in their housing.

Reactions: 8 users
Or on rotations? There is one sdner who posted about their experience bringing a therapy dog on rotations.
No, it's more of a dog for comfort at home. I function very well with my anxiety and have for years. It is just an emotional boost after a long day.

ESAs do not have any public access. Medical facilities are subject to different sets of rules and regulations under the ADA. Service dogs are generally allowed in the waiting area, but not back in any sterile rooms (such as surgery). ESAs are only allowed in apartment housing that is not dog-friendly, or on airplanes. That is it. My biggest pet peeve is when dogs are places they should not be. It's annoying for service dog handlers, it's annoying for patrons of the facility, it's annoying to everyone around. Therapy dogs are completely different and require specific training, they must pass a test, provide support to others, and they are only allowed into hospitals, nursing homes, schools etc. with an invitation.

^ sorry that was a lot, but I'm sick and tired of all the misinformation surrounding service dogs, ESAs and therapy dogs. This isn't targeted at anyone, just wanted to clear up the three.

To OP:
Your ESA shouldn't come up at all on interviews or applications. The only time it may come up is in your rental history when finding new housing for medical school, and you will have to disclose your animal as well as your diagnosis to get housing accommodation. I would suggest living outside of campus sanctioned housing for medical school if you want to keep that part of your life private as you don't need to disclose your ESA to medical schools unless you plan on living in their housing.
Thank you! this was very helpful and much appreciated.

I can't sugar coat this, if your anxiety is that bad, medical school will kill you. But I can't see how this would affect you unless you ask for accommodations for the animal..I can't see your getting this granted.
No need to sugar coat anything, honesty is always appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: 2 users

To OP:
Good post.