Emphasis on extracurriculars in admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lorbah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good for you for pushing through those struggles! I don't think you should use them as an excuse, but as evidence of perseverance. Other things like GPA, letters of rec, and your personal statement seem to be more important for admissions.

I'd recommend squeezing in a couple things, but nothing major. Maybe at least observing a couple audiologists in various settings. I've found that most programs just want to see your passion for audiology and know that you're in it for the long run! That can speak towards your potential for success much better than volunteering at a soup kitchen once a week. I would do what you can and focus on crafting an awesome personal statement. Hope that helps!

You have stellar GPA and if you do well on the GRE your numbers will be fine. Doing the thesis will get you some experience to talk about your passion for audiology in your personal statement; and working closely with your mentor will create a positive professional relationship. Have your mentor write one of you letters and maybe someone you work with from the literary magazine as well if you think they could speak well about your passion/work ethic. All those extra curriculars are great boosts but you are doing well already. It's better for you to keep doing what works for you now and keep your grades up than to add something in that you can't balance and suffer everywhere because of it. If you feel that you can do more, do more but you are in no way behind the curve when it comes to applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your responses, guys; I might be panicking a little more than is necessary. Senior year, in lieu of all of the slp-oriented electives, my adviser is looking to place me into one of the graduate audiology program's foundation courses. Is that something that I might be able to bank on a little in my personal statement that might demonstrate commitment to the field to supplement for a lack of extracurriculars?

I would also suggest maybe writing a brief short, maybe an educational brief on a subject in Audiology that interests you. Because your writing can very easily be spun as an extracurricular activity. You just need to mention in the statement and paint a picture of your work. Maybe include an excerpt, or even bring a children's story to any interviews you might have. Anything creative in a field dominated by science can be taken as an advantage. Creativity is the future. If your writing is an extracurricular activity to you, then tell them that and it will be enough. (plus a couple hours of shadowing, and maybe a few volunteer ventures, but as previously mentioned, nothing major) Good Luck!