Employment for Home Loan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrB

Family Medicine Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The lender told me today that I needed to have employment for her to prequalify me for a home loan. I am working now, but when medical school begins I will only have financial aid. Is anyone able to get a loan in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have very good credit, you can try for a no-documentation loan...you do not need to provide documentation of your income; they do however increase the rate a bit.

Thank you mpp I will try that in the morning.

The lender also mentioned FSH (? something like that) and using a cosigner.

I have very good credit, problem being I do not have a down payment

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry I meant FHA

By the Way: FSH is the folicle stimulating hormone... :rolleyes:

if you have good credit 700+ you shouldn't worry about having to get a cosigner and should be able to get up to 100% financing with a no doc loan ot at least up to 95% depending on your lender.

As for FHA - you could go government, that is another option, but that is a full doc loan.

You do NOT need to disclose you are going to med school as long as you have a method of paying your mortgage.
If you are working now, roll with it and use your current income. If you don't qualify with your current income then go no doc. You might need a downpayment though of some sort.

Check the major "big" institutions - Chase, Bank Of America, Countrywide, Washington Mutual, Cendant Mortgage (will now be PHH as of Feb 1st). For their no doc programs.

Good luck.

I purchased a home a couple of months before med school, and had no problem getting a loan even though I didn't have a job. You should be fine as long as you have a job right now. Just don't say that you are planning on quitting soon! They approve you for a loan based on your current income and will never know if you quit your job, as long as you keep making your payments. Lenders will not consider financial aid as income, and they will actually count that against you because it increases your debt, even if you aren't making payments yet. I advise you to get your loan before your financial aid comes through and you quit your job.

Another option is to do a no-doc loan, low doc loan, get a cosigner, or do the FHA Kiddie Condo loan, which is designed for people in school. At first I was going to get a no-doc loan, which is based only on your credit score. The interest rate was only supposed to be about a half point higher than a full-doc loan. Once I got closer to buying the home, the interest rate changed to be almost a couple of points higher than a conventional loan. Anyway, I was able to use my Dad as a cosigner to the loan and they basically ignored the fact that I have no income, and approved me based on my dad's income. I got the same interest rate that anyone would who had a job. My loan is not an FHA loan, although that is an option if you don't have enough of a down payment to get a regular loan. My loan is through Charter Funding (a division of First Magnus), but I also looked into Countrywide and National City Mortgage, and they all had similar programs.