Employment/Honors Section of AACOMAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irishlaydi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all. anyone have advice on the following:

1. what awards/honors are appropriate to write in the additional data section? It says if applicable, but just wanted to know what is proper to add.

2. what amount of information is appropriate for the employment section? anyone know what the limit on words/characters is? What did you all put for each employment experience, like how much detail, hours, supervisor, address, etc...?

Members don't see this ad.

I put down awards or honors I had received in the college. Its pretty explanatory, if you got honors for your GPA, write that down. or if you got some community service award write that down too.

For the experiences, I wrote to the max which was very little. just test out the limit, they'll tell you when you get to hte max. it was extremely frustraitng cuz the limit was so small.

Thanks for your input. So, in regards to honors did you put things such as Dean's List, scholarships...???
Also, for example, I won a NIH training grant award, would that be appropriate?
And, for employment, how would you recommend formatting each employment? ie. postition, company, dates, job description???

***The question says: start with current...what if you are currently a grad student and no "employment"? and aamcos rep told me grad student doesn't count as employment, even though i get paid. so, it will look like i haven't worked since 2002! what do i do???

thanks a million to u or whoever else answers! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep getting the msg that my employment section of AACOMAS has to be under 700 words, but when I put it into word it says its like 598 or something, definately not 700. should i just go by AACOMAS or do u think something is wrong?
anyone know?
THANKS

Two things if you are getting paid for going to grad school then you were a TA or RA I'm assuming and you would be able to put that on your app (I don't remember where off the top of my head). As far as the number of characters, if you have it formatted with returns and other things, there are a few things that count as characters on the AACOMAS app but not in word. Regardless it won't let you save that part of the app until your within the character limit anyways.

Hi. i'm not a TA or RA. I'm in a PhD program which gives me a salary (as a stipend). The AACOMAS rep said this wouldn't count...so I guess i should listen to her :) but what do u think?

So you're not being paid to do research as a research assistant??? You must be doing something other than taking classes to be getting paid for it. Even so this wouldn't go under employment necessarily I think it would be under a section for internships (if I remember correctly) or something like that, but either way this info or the fact that you are enrolled in a PhD program would show why you are not working so that they don't just think your a lazy bum....not something to really worry about

ok
no, after 1st year the major part of PhD, atleast here is lab research...no classes. So, its technically an award as part of the program, which is basically a salary, but yah i have to be in lab. I am not considered a research asst. or anything, just a student.
so, should i listen to the aacomas lady?
would u put this in vol/internships or in employment? i thought employment b/c i get $$$ but i don't know

I would probably put in the internship section, but I don't think it would make a huge difference if you put it in the employment section. Like I said in my last post if your biggest concern was the "break" in your employment the fact that you are enrolled in a PhD program and are doing research (wherever you list it) will more than explain this.

ok. thanks for your help! really appreciate it.
any thoughts on where I should put conferences where I presented posters and research publications?

Activities.....if they won't fit you can also list them on your secondaries.

You are right (what else is new!!) Amy....I was referring to the Honors and Awards portion. Although some of the secondaries it was Activities, Honors and Awards...I just didn't have the AACOMAS info right in front of me at the time.

:cool: :D

You know, I wish the AACOMAS application was structured like the AMCAS sections. They give you space to write a good description and you were able to put up to 15 things if I remember correctly. It is easier to determine where to put things.

Bottom line, put things where you think they best fit and don't worry about it. Adcoms are used to just about everything. Good luck all.