Employment hx for residency app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Donkey

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is pretty mundane question, and will probably be answered with a resounding yes, but does employment history (assuming a substantial one exists for a particular person) function much into applications for residencies? For example, if one were to get fired or something for a valid reason, I would assume that residency directors would consider this incident in their evaluation of the candidate.

P.S. I'm talking about a significant job here. Not just working at Sleven or something. Oh yeah, and, of course, the job would have to be before medical school, and, uh, involve a certain someone relieving himself in the office coffee pot...j/k kidding about the last one.

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Donkey said:
This is pretty mundane question, and will probably be answered with a resounding yes, but does employment history (assuming a substantial one exists for a particular person) function much into applications for residencies? For example, if one were to get fired or something for a valid reason, I would assume that residency directors would consider this incident in their evaluation of the candidate.

P.S. I'm talking about a significant job here. Not just working at Sleven or something. Oh yeah, and, of course, the job would have to be before medical school, and, uh, involve a certain someone relieving himself in the office coffee pot...j/k kidding about the last one.

Thanks guys.

While Employment History is on your ERAS stuff that we download, in all our candidate selection meetings, I've never heard anyone comment in detail about employment prior to medical school (other than, he/she was an investment banker, researcher, nurse, etc.) with an eye to why they left that position. I suppose if this was a significant career switch to medicine, you would have to come up with some politically correct reason as to why you left - ie, changed interests, differing goals, etc. So long as you aren't outwardly lying - but I don't know of anyone who actually contacts prior employers for residency candidates (unless you left a residency program, natch). Frankly, many people have left other careers for medicine so it won't be unusual if you say you simply decided to "follow your dreams" or something else equally cheesy.

On that note, moving to General Residency Forum...