Employment Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alibai3ah

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for those of you who have found jobs or are looking...

I had an interview today that went well except for one main thing. I told them that I am interested in medical school and hopefully will be applying for fall of 2010 cycle. I've noticed many employers (even clinical research work) have been very aversive to this.

So my question is should i just keep it subtle and say I am not sure if I want to do medicine or i am unsure of the exact time frame. I prefer to just be honest but I really want a job for this year. I'm also a bit concerned incase I am lucky enough to get interviews this fall (I would have to request to take days off so I do not want to come off as a liar). So just curious as to how others are dealing with this......

Members don't see this ad.

Never lie, lol. It won't be doing justice to you or the employer. I guess the main reason they're frowning on your intent to go to medical school is that your employment will be on a countdown from the beginning.

Maybe you're better off finding short-term research positions? You probably won't be able to partake in case studies and such which take months (or years) to complete, but there are plenty of labs willing to hire students for a semester or two to complete portions of a larger study.

What kind of jobs are you looking at?

Question for those of you who have found jobs or are looking...

I had an interview today that went well except for one main thing. I told them that I am interested in medical school and hopefully will be applying for fall of 2010 cycle. I've noticed many employers (even clinical research work) have been very aversive to this.

So my question is should i just keep it subtle or lie and say I am not sure if I want to do medicine. I prefer to just be honest. But at the same time I want a job for this year. Also I'm a bit concerned incase I am lucky enough to get interviews this fall (I would have to request to take days off so it would be difficult to just lie). So just curious as to how others are dealing with this......

seriously? you noticed huh? nah my bad for being a douche but this is def a learning curve for everyone.

if you need to make money, make money. DO NOT tell them you are applying to medical school. In fact, you would be better served by not telling anyone but your immediate family. Do not put your mcat score on your resume, no matter how high it is.

I have actually applied for the same position over the course of 4 months with 2 different resumes and cover letters. don't explain yourself on the cover letter either saying some cute crap like i was thinking about med schools but found my passion is blah. no, just say you are interested in blank, and just blank. list your relevant experiences and act like you are committed.

interviewing will be tricky, but if you want the job or really need the money, you will find a way.

in this economy, companies are not looking to lose money on hiring someone for 8 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never lie, lol. It won't be doing justice to you or the employer. I guess the main reason they're frowning on your intent to go to medical school is that your employment will be on a countdown from the beginning.

Maybe you're better off finding short-term research positions? You probably won't be able to partake in case studies and such which take months (or years) to complete, but there are plenty of labs willing to hire students for a semester or two to complete portions of a larger study.

What kind of jobs are you looking at?

Clinical Research positions but I am open to lab work as well....

As for the post by witness, I am well aware of what to do on my resume and cover letter. The problem comes more during the interview when they ask you questions as to how you envision yourself? How this job is conducive to your future goals?

"Act like you are commited"....I'm not acting, I am genuinely interested in clinical research, the problem is most employers think I am using them as a time-pass or a "good extracurricular".....I really do want to work for them, I just cannot make a long term commitment.

clinical research positions as in the industry or academia

if its industry, you have to say 5 or 6 years down the line, im going to "grad" school.

if its academia, they will understand, but it will probably be a 2 year commitment

Yes, strongly agree with post above.

As I aged/matured/saw different things, I learned a bit about the difference between lying and emphasizing the important things. Does "never lie" mean admitting you chased down that member of the opposite sex in 5th grade and smooched them? 5 speeding tickets earned as a 17 year old? How about that you may meet someone great who lives in another city and you may quit in a few years to be closer to them?

Does the company have to tell you that they may be closing the division/group/lab in the future?

Most specifically, can you guarantee that you will be accepted to med school, and that nothing will happen to make you change your mind from accepting it? Presuming the answer is no, I'd suggest focusing on strengths that you have and can offer, versus what may happen sometime down the road. It's part of the game we call employment; kind of like telling your boss how excited to you are to work on that important project late at night and through the weekend.

you have to understand though, that you are not the only one genuinely interested in working for them.

do you get the frame of ref of the hiring manager though?

Clinical Research positions but I am open to lab work as well....

As for the post by witness, I am well aware of what to do on my resume and cover letter. The problem comes more during the interview when they ask you questions as to how you envision yourself? How this job is conducive to your future goals?

"Act like you are commited"....I'm not acting, I am genuinely interested in clinical research, the problem is most employers think I am using them as a time-pass or a "good extracurricular".....I really do want to work for them, I just cannot make a long term commitment.

I've worked in research positions (RA, then research coordinator) for the past 3 years and I've always been upfront about my aspirations for med school. Of course, the positions advertised 1- or 2-year commitments, so that worked to my advantage.

I would err on the side of discretion (that is, not revealing your med school plans) if they don't specify a length of employment.

^ right, but i think we need to know if this position is university/industry

industry doesn't like to mess around but it will pay you a lot more

Academic setting

As for what nontrdgsbuiucmd said, this is what really bothers me the most....medical school itself is no guarantee, so should i even be sacrificing jobs for it at this point.....

But thanks for your opinions, I guess next interview I will try to be a bit more elusive about my plans, but I am pretty sure I will not lie if they straight up ask me.

I might just send a thank you note for the interview and emphasize the fact that I do have few years off still. I'm a bit bummed, it was a very good job and a very nice research university.