Empowering patients to be active participants in their care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
"For all the articles advocating for “patient-centered care,” this is the change that we ultimately must be willing to make: Rather than having patients as passive recipients of care, they must be active producers of their care, in partnership and coordination with physicians and clinical staff. So what are the requirements for getting to that end state?"

http://www.mdpi.com/2227-9032/3/1/50/htm

https://hbr.org/2016/11/giving-pati...1523048&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm, people must not be living in America. I think it is called learned helplessness and these folks assume a sick role. It defines chronic patient mentality. Only cure would be no insurance.

Reactions: 1 users
"For all the articles advocating for “patient-centered care,” this is the change that we ultimately must be willing to make: Rather than having patients as passive recipients of care, they must be active producers of their care, in partnership and coordination with physicians and clinical staff. So what are the requirements for getting to that end state?"

https://hbr.org/2016/11/giving-pati...1523048&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin

LOL just LOL

Wont fly in America 2017

Members don't see this ad :)
you know what, empowering patients to actually be proactive in their care is what will make them better, drcommonsense.

better is also a very relative term. im not sure why "better" is so associated specifically with decreased VAS.

better can be with improved qOL, improved functioning, improved mood, improved outlook. this is how chronic pain patients "get better"....

you know what, empowering patients to actually be proactive in their care is what will make them better, drcommonsense.

better is also a very relative term. im not sure why "better" is so associated specifically with decreased VAS.

better can be with improved qOL, improved functioning, improved mood, improved outlook. this is how chronic pain patients "get better"....

cool story bro. Get those obese patients to lose weight, its been really successful over the last 20 years.

I suggest the "Dr Oz" method of helping fat people lose weight by "telling them how beautiful they are" because this has been proven in medical "studies" that "fat shaming" doesn't work.

Oz really told that guy Roosh. I mean its worked really well!

I mean if there have been "studies published in medical journals" they must be accurate right?

Last edited:
And your alternative is so much more effective?

Oh wait you don't have an alternative. Never mind.

I'm not curing anyone. I'm suggesting that drugging them up, doing unnecessary surgery etc - things you have derided - are not as important as empowering ppl to take care of themselves from a psychological pathway.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

"Triple Aim"? for healthcare. Not hearing that phrase thrown around as much these days. Sounds like the authors of the 2nd article are still pining away for Obamacare.

Their premise; patients are so overburdened, that if we just do more spoon feeding and hand holding, e.g. i-phone apps, higher tech medical information exchange, then patients will really start to take responsibility for their health and overall well being. I can only see Kaiser being able to implement a fully formed system of this type.

And, if we're talking about the type of patients that most on this forum don't want to see, then (enter drusso maxim about your services being perceived as worthless). This proposed type of "patient centered" care sounds more appropriate for a direct care/retainer type practice.

In terms of public health, I think 101Ns views are more applicable here, i.e. you're unlikely to change the mind-set of fully formed adults.

Reactions: 1 users
And your alternative is so much more effective?

Oh wait you don't have an alternative. Never mind.

I'm not curing anyone. I'm suggesting that drugging them up, doing unnecessary surgery etc - things you have derided - are not as important as empowering ppl to take care of themselves from a psychological pathway.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My "alternative" is more Roosh and less "Dr" Oz BS at a societal level.

Only after some healthy "shaming" of bad behavior, can we change these issues.

You won't do jack squat yapping at some pleasantly pump middle aged housewife that you are "beautiful but could you pretty please lose some weight because of health reasons" during a 5 min OV.

The few I attempt to broach this subject with (that are open enough to speak to about it) never seem to long term change their eating habits. I offer them all kinds of diet plans and "nutritionist" consultations as well for "help" in a "nice" manner.

I am not going to say anything more aggressive because we all know how that physician will be perceived as "mean" or "insensitive", so to be honest, its not worth fighting too hard about the issue.

Last edited:
"Triple Aim"? for healthcare. Not hearing that phrase thrown around as much these days. Sounds like the authors of the 2nd article are still pining away for Obamacare.

Their premise; patients are so overburdened, that if we just do more spoon feeding and hand holding, e.g. i-phone apps, higher tech medical information exchange, then patients will really start to take responsibility for their health and overall well being. I can only see Kaiser being able to implement a fully formed system of this type.

And, if we're talking about the type of patients that most on this forum don't want to see, then (enter drusso maxim about your services being perceived as worthless). This proposed type of "patient centered" care sounds more appropriate for a direct care/retainer type practice.

In terms of public health, I think 101Ns views are more applicable here, i.e. you're unlikely to change the mind-set of fully formed adults.

Kaiser hasn't done jack **** to control the obesity epidemic in America, lets be honest.

All their "metrics" of "improved quality" are smoke and mirrors on a societal level.

But hey maybe I can get an MBA to become an administrator and pay me bonuses based upon "improvements" as well right?

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/american-women-obese-article-1.2663494

Last edited:

Just speaking about the obesity epidemic in a newspaper column these days gets you fired:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4243950/Fat-shaming-columnist-sacked-newspaper.html

Good luck controlling this issue with the hokum "methods" some MBAs from Harvard made up. Damn, that MBA is looking more and more attractive these days.

Only after some healthy "shaming" of bad behavior, can we change these issues.
do you have any data that shaming makes obese people lose weight? body shaming does drive young women to become anorexic and bulimic, for sure, so I guess in an obtuse way, one can from a societal standpoint make "obese" thin young women lose weight.

only if we as a society change how we view food and the pleasures of food consumption will we make a difference long term in obesity, both individual or societal. shaming wont do it.

I hate to say it, but I did read his editorial. I wouldn't necessarily have recommended that he be fired, but heck, he's an unpaid columnist, and he makes no real point other than to belittle a fat southerner. he seems to spend as much time lambasting a southern Georgia drawl than the fact that the guy is fat.

do you have any data that shaming makes obese people lose weight? body shaming does drive young women to become anorexic and bulimic, for sure, so I guess in an obtuse way, one can from a societal standpoint make "obese" thin young women lose weight.

only if we as a society change how we view food and the pleasures of food consumption will we make a difference long term in obesity, both individual or societal. shaming wont do it.

I hate to say it, but I did read his editorial. I wouldn't necessarily have recommended that he be fired, but heck, he's an unpaid columnist, and he makes no real point other than to belittle a fat southerner. he seems to spend as much time lambasting a southern Georgia drawl than the fact that the guy is fat.

do you have any "data" that shows all this "fat positivity" crap has decreased the obesity rates?

All I know is during the 1950s-1990s, "fat shaming" was normal. The obesity rates were FAR lower than today.

How are you going to "change the pleasures of food consumption"?

Members don't see this ad :)
do you have any "data" that shows all this "fat positivity" crap has decreased the obesity rates?

All I know is during the 1950s-1990s, "fat shaming" was normal. The obesity rates were FAR lower than today.

I really doubt " fat shaming" was the reason Obesity issues weren't as prevalent.

Couple reasons off the top of my head.
..people used to be physically active and were not tied to their , phone, Tablet, computer playing mindless video games.
..People had physical jobs which have lessened with automation.
..There was not a Burger/chicken joint with processed food on every corner
..People smoked

I really doubt " fat shaming" was the reason Obesity issues weren't as prevalent.

Couple reasons off the top of my head.
..people used to be physically active and were not tied to their , phone, Tablet, computer playing mindless video games.
..People had physical jobs which have lessened with automation.
..There was not a Burger/chicken joint with processed food on every corner
..People smoked

Has Kaiser's program proven to lower the obesity rate in the general population in the areas they practice this program?

Sounds good until its implemented. Paper is cheap and anyone can post some "plan" that "fix" things but I haven't seen it do anything in the real world.

All I know is Jenny Craig, Slimfast, "Dr" Oz green tea extract, paleo diet, etc have NOT slowed the increase in the obesity rate in the general population.

Do you honestly think a few "positive "statements about exercising or "avoiding" Burger/Chicken joints will fix anything?

Lets be honest here.

Fat people will just listen to a few statements from a Dr for a few mins and forget it within a few hours of leaving the office.

Its far easier to eat "tasty" crap food and avoid exercise than doing it.

we don't have any "fat positivity" crap. and im not saying we should make fat people feel happy. diets don't work, but its all that we have, because we will refuse to do what would more likely work.

the reason we are fat is because corporate America found that they can make oodles of money with high fat high carb fast foods and we don't exercise the way we used to.

we need to change the social norms surrounding food, and that would start with the advertising for junk food.

we would have to limit advertising about how the Grand Big Mac is so much better than the original Big Mac, which is already sooo much better than a double cheeseburger or a plain McD burger. no one needs a double whopper with bacon and cheese. we have to get rid of all the empty calorie ads for chips - Doritos, Tostitos, Lays... stop showing how happy people are eating at essentially junk places - hint Applebes unlimited apps, Olive Garden all you can eat pasta, etc.

we as a society have to encourage healthy activities such as going to the gym, walking, biking, swimming...

just as long as we keep White Castle, mind you...

Has Kaiser's program proven to lower the obesity rate in the general population in the areas they practice this program?

Sounds good until its implemented. Paper is cheap and anyone can post some "plan" that "fix" things but I haven't seen it do anything in the real world.

All I know is Jenny Craig, Slimfast, "Dr" Oz green tea extract, paleo diet, etc have NOT slowed the increase in the obesity rate in the general population.

Do you honestly think a few "positive "statements about exercising or "avoiding" Burger/Chicken joints will fix anything?

Lets be honest here.

Fat people will just listen to a few statements from a Dr for a few mins and forget it within a few hours of leaving the office.

Its far easier to eat "tasty" crap food and avoid exercise than doing it.

My post was only in response to your argument that Obesity has increased because we don't " fat shame"

My post was only in response to your argument that Obesity has increased because we don't " fat shame"

Well we've tried all the "non fat shaming" stuff for the last 20 years with no decrease in obesity rates.

we don't have any "fat positivity" crap. and im not saying we should make fat people feel happy. diets don't work, but its all that we have, because we will refuse to do what would more likely work.

the reason we are fat is because corporate America found that they can make oodles of money with high fat high carb fast foods and we don't exercise the way we used to.

we need to change the social norms surrounding food, and that would start with the advertising for junk food.

we would have to limit advertising about how the Grand Big Mac is so much better than the original Big Mac, which is already sooo much better than a double cheeseburger or a plain McD burger. no one needs a double whopper with bacon and cheese. we have to get rid of all the empty calorie ads for chips - Doritos, Tostitos, Lays... stop showing how happy people are eating at essentially junk places - hint Applebes unlimited apps, Olive Garden all you can eat pasta, etc.

we as a society have to encourage healthy activities such as going to the gym, walking, biking, swimming...

just as long as we keep White Castle, mind you...

So how the hell does any of the crap posted at the beginning going to do any of that stuff you mentioned?

Also, we are to ban McDonald's from advertising on television now? Sounds WAY too big brother govt to me.

How is one going to change these "social norms"? Bloomberg has tried that garbage in NYC yet the obesity rate is still through the roof.

There are tons of fitness videos, P90X videos, etc that "encourage" people to workout, go to the gym, etc. Hasn't done much on an overall population level.

Alot of the "shaming" of smokers in the past seemed to get people to stop smoking pretty effectively (better than just talking about the health benefits, which is good as well).

Last edited:
we are constantly fat shaming. I see no evidence of this "non fat shaming" you are talking about.

I wonder if you have girls. one only needs to pick up a newspaper, watch TV for 5 minutes, spend 2 minutes on Facebook to see that we fat shame and degrade women who do not adhere to a waiflike image.

Playboy is back to putting nudes in their mag.
The SI Swimsuit issue came out last week.
Complaints online about the hand on one of the swimsuit models being used to cover up another model's belly.
People complained about Lady Gaga being fat and unpresentable 2 weeks ago.
your fat shaming article.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/07/health/fat-shaming-sick-study-partner/index.html
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/15/health/fat-shaming-feat/index.html

I would argue that we have been fat shaming for 30+ years with increasing obesity rate. we are doing nothing to shame excessive calorie intake.

Whats worked for smoking is public awareness of the health issues, but also bans - on marketing on TV, of smoking in public places, cigarette taxes...

we are constantly fat shaming. I see no evidence of this "non fat shaming" you are talking about.

I wonder if you have girls. one only needs to pick up a newspaper, watch TV for 5 minutes, spend 2 minutes on Facebook to see that we fat shame and degrade women who do not adhere to a waiflike image.

Complaints online about the hand on one of the swimsuit models being used to cover up another model's belly.

I would argue that we have been fat shaming for 30+ years with increasing obesity rate. we are doing nothing to shame excessive calorie intake.

Whats worked for smoking is public awareness of the health issues, but also bans - on marketing on TV, of smoking in public places, cigarette taxes...

There is a movement to accept "fat is beautiful".

Maybe you haven't been watching the Dove commercials promoting fat women, Amy Schumer, Fat women in Ghostbusters, etc.

Even SI Swimsuit was pushing "plus size models". https://www.bustle.com/p/there-are-...ed-swimsuit-issue-its-pretty-rad-photos-38330

That fraud Oz attacked Roosh for "fat shaming" as well.

Oprah and Ellen Dengeres push "fat is beautiful" to chunky housewives all the time whereby the husbands are demonized if they don't like her "for the way she is" or if they like "stick models" or some other nonsense.

Are you living under a bridge?

Also the junk from CNN confirms that people are PUSHING fat female acceptance (not really for men though but thats another issue) as "beautiful".

So how the hell does any of the crap posted at the beginning going to do any of that stuff you mentioned?

Also, we are to ban McDonald's from advertising on television now? Sounds WAY too big brother govt to me.

How is one going to change these "social norms"? Bloomberg has tried that garbage in NYC yet the obesity rate is still through the roof.

There are tons of fitness videos, P90X videos, etc that "encourage" people to workout, go to the gym, etc. Hasn't done much on an overall population level.

Alot of the "shaming" of smokers in the past seemed to get people to stop smoking pretty effectively (better than just talking about the health benefits, which is good as well).
So "shaming" obese patients, contributing to a lower sense of their self-worth, is your solution? Yup. That will probably work.

So "shaming" obese patients, contributing to a lower sense of their self-worth, is your solution? Yup. That will probably work.

Yeah it would work far better than this kind've garbage I read from the liberal website Buzzfeed celebrating morbid obesity in women: https://www.buzzfeed.com/chrissymahlmeister/anything-but-average?utm_term=.hswpv4qvO#.isklnmNnW

Read all the comments from morbidly obese women claiming this is "normal weight" and the "skinny women" aren't attractive like them.

Fat "shaming" has become thin "shaming" these days.

This is becoming normal that the media is literally bending over backwards celebrating "real women" aka Obese women these days.

That is why there is a war on Victoria Secret as well.

When I am saying "shaming", I am not saying you should say "oh you're a disgusting fat slob" or anything nasty.

We can just say things such as "I prefer thinner women to date instead of the obese body type" or "obesity is not attractive or healthy". Don't see why thats a bad thing.

Celebrating bad behavior will get more bad behavior.

Ergo, obese women are the norm these days.

Neither is of the polar extremes are the answer. Young women (and men) are presented with impossible bodies as normal in magazines everywhere, and these impossible standards are harmful to young women (and medn).

On the other hand, the liberal movement to accept obese women as beautiful and normal also doesn't do these women any favors as there needs to be a little shame in being obese.
There are a few prominent overweight women in their 20s, saying that the national average dress size is 12, to justify their personal obesity. The national size 12 thing is sad by itself, but that's including women of all ages. I doubt the average dress size of women in their early twenties is size 12.

Last edited:
Neither is of the polar extremes are the answer. Young women (and men) are presented with impossible bodies as normal in magazines everywhere, and these impossible standards are harmful to young women (and medn).

On the other hand, the liberal movement to accept obese women as beautiful and normal also doesn't do these women any favors as there needs to be a little shame in being obese.
There are a few prominent overweight women in their 20s, saying that the national average dress size is 12, to justify their personal obesity. The national size 12 thing is sad by itself, but that's including women of all ages. I doubt the average dress size of women in their early twenties is size 12.
Depends where you live

Depends where you live

Very true. One of the reasons I moved to California.

We certainly have overweight people here in SoCal, but on average the women are thinner than most parts of the county, likely because here the beach and bikini weather is 9 months of the year:)

Massive fat tax, pardon the pun. Like cigarette tax, but bigger. Proceeds go to medicare/caid and subsidies for healthy food. Make healthy food affordable. I am libertarian at heart, and more government makes me sick. But this fat nation is out of control. I don't see any other way than to just make fast food/processed food nearly unattainable.

More palatable if you make it a sugar tax. Same result but villifies the industry rather than the end user.

Yeah it would work far better than this kind've garbage I read from the liberal website Buzzfeed celebrating morbid obesity in women: https://www.buzzfeed.com/chrissymahlmeister/anything-but-average?utm_term=.hswpv4qvO#.isklnmNnW

Read all the comments from morbidly obese women claiming this is "normal weight" and the "skinny women" aren't attractive like them.

Fat "shaming" has become thin "shaming" these days.

This is becoming normal that the media is literally bending over backwards celebrating "real women" aka Obese women these days.

That is why there is a war on Victoria Secret as well.

When I am saying "shaming", I am not saying you should say "oh you're a disgusting fat slob" or anything nasty.

We can just say things such as "I prefer thinner women to date instead of the obese body type" or "obesity is not attractive or healthy". Don't see why thats a bad thing.

Celebrating bad behavior will get more bad behavior.

Ergo, obese women are the norm these days.
Actually, all available "evidence" suggests that fat shaming makes the condition harder.

before you comment again, please read the below articles, and maybe it will become clearer to you.
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...aming-slim-sanctimonious-cause-obesity-crisis

http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/02/whats-wrong-with-fat-shaming/

https://authoritynutrition.com/fat-shaming-makes-things-worse/

when someone is shamed by someone over something, the base instinct is to not change everything about their lives (and even then, it probably wouldnt work because, as everyone knows, diets dont work). the shamed victim goes to find comfort... and food as the most ubiquitous comfort mechanism.

just ask yourself. how many addicts have you shamed into stopping their drug use? odds are, most give the addict a few phone numbers for addiction specialists and boot them out the door.

how many drunks have you shamed to become a teetotaler?

how many smokers have you shamed in to stopping smoking?

how many hermits have you shamed into becoming extroverts? etc.

much more reasonable to have an effect - and probably financially affordable for our society - is a high fructose corn syrup and a sugar tax. and to limit being able to use food stamps on some of these very sugary empty calorie foods.

Duct you need to run for public office.

Agree that food stamps should not be able to be used for junk food items. It should be like the WIC program for pregnant mothers, which can only be used for healthy foods.

Actually, all available "evidence" suggests that fat shaming makes the condition harder.

before you comment again, please read the below articles, and maybe it will become clearer to you.
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...aming-slim-sanctimonious-cause-obesity-crisis

http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/02/whats-wrong-with-fat-shaming/

https://authoritynutrition.com/fat-shaming-makes-things-worse/

when someone is shamed by someone over something, the base instinct is to not change everything about their lives (and even then, it probably wouldnt work because, as everyone knows, diets dont work). the shamed victim goes to find comfort... and food as the most ubiquitous comfort mechanism.

just ask yourself. how many addicts have you shamed into stopping their drug use? odds are, most give the addict a few phone numbers for addiction specialists and boot them out the door.

how many drunks have you shamed to become a teetotaler?

how many smokers have you shamed in to stopping smoking?

how many hermits have you shamed into becoming extroverts? etc.

much more reasonable to have an effect - and probably financially affordable for our society - is a high fructose corn syrup and a sugar tax. and to limit being able to use food stamps on some of these very sugary empty calorie foods.

Funny that Japan, China, etc all have "fat shaming" as part of their culture and their women are FAR thinner.

I don't take "everyday feminism" as a source for anything since they all promote this obese crap. I would figure you would quote a feminist website though.

My wife teaches shame resiliency classes, but I find shaming to be very effective at motivating people...especially in the public arena, these Internet forums, and the work place...

Here's a 31 y/o obese PHD in "history" that is whining that she can't find a man.

TED talks has become a joke. Maybe a little "shaming" for her would help. Instead, she whines about how "beautiful and great" she basically is whereby she deserves a "tall, ambitious" man as a partner.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25248129
Escaping from body image shame and harsh self-criticism: exploration of underlying mechanisms of binge eating.
Duarte C1, Pinto-Gouveia J2, Ferreira C2.
Author information
Abstract

Shame has been highlighted as a key component of eating psychopathology. However, the specific impact of body image shame on binge eating and the mechanisms through which it operates remained unexplored. The current study tests a model examining the role that body image shame plays in binge eating and the mediator effect of self-criticism on this association, while controlling for the effect of depressive symptoms, in 329 women from the general population and college students. Correlation analyses showed that binge eating is positively associated with depressive symptoms, body image shame, and self-criticism, namely with a more severe form of self-criticism characterized by self-disgust, hating and wanting to hurt the self - hated self. Furthermore, results indicated that the path model explained 32% of binge eating behaviours and confirmed that body image shame has a significant direct effect on binge eating, and that this effect is partially mediated by increased hated self. These findings suggest that binge eating may emerge as a maladaptive way to cope with the threat of being negatively viewed by others because of one's physical appearance and the consequent engagement in a severe critical self-relating style marked by hatred, disgust and contempt towards the self. This study contributes therefore for the understanding of the processes underlying binge eating. Also, these findings have important research and clinical implications, supporting the relevance of developing eating disorder treatments that specifically target shame and self-criticism, through the development of self-compassionate skills.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26995245

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27061929
Within-persons predictors of change during eating disorders treatment: An examination of self-compassion, self-criticism, shame, and eating disorder symptoms.
Kelly AC1, Tasca GA2,3.
Author information
Abstract

OBJECTIVE:
Attempts to identify the predictors of change during eating disorders treatment have focused almost exclusively on identifying between-persons factors (i.e., differences between patients). Research on within-person predictors of change (i.e., variations within patients over time) may provide novel and clinically useful information. To illustrate, we test the theory that within patients, self-compassion, self-criticism, shame, and eating disorder symptoms reciprocally influence one another over time.

METHOD:
Seventy-eight patients with an eating disorder completed the Self-Compassion Scale, Experience of Shame Scale, and Eating Disorder Examination Questionnaire every three weeks across 12 weeks of treatment.

RESULTS:
Multilevel modeling revealed that following periods of increased shame, a patient's eating pathology was more severe than usual. Following periods of increased self-compassion or decreased eating pathology, a patient's level of shame was lower than usual. Between-person differences in the relationships among study variables also emerged.

DISCUSSION:
Results support the theory that shame and eating pathology influence one another cyclically within patients over time, and suggest that time-dependent increases in self-compassion may interrupt this cycle. If replicated, these results might suggest that assessing and intervening with increases in a patient's level of shame may help to reduce her eating pathology, and improving a patient's level of self-compassion or eating disorder symptomology may lower her subsequent experiences of shame. Findings highlight the value of administering and examining repeatedly measured within-person predictors of change during eating disorders treatment, and suggest that it may be clinically important to attend to the changes that occur within a given patient over time. © 2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. (Int J Eat Disord 2016; 49:716-722).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26789834
Self-esteem, body shame and eating disorder risk in obese and normal weight adolescents: A mediation model.
Iannaccone M1, D'Olimpio F2, Cella S3, Cotrufo P4.
Author information
Abstract

OBJECTIVE:
To investigate dysfunctional eating behaviors and psychological variables typically associated to eating disturbances such as low self-esteem, perfectionism, shame, perceived parental care and protectiveness in obese and normal weight adolescents and to examine how the main powerful eating disorder risk factors interact with each other which explains eating psychopathology vulnerability.

METHOD:
111 high school students (68 males; age range 13-19years) classified as obese and 111 age-, sex- and social status-homogeneous normal weight controls were included in the current study. All participants were asked to fill out self-report measures of parental behavior as perceived by the offspring, eating disturbance attitudes and behaviors, self-esteem, perfectionism and shame.

RESULTS:
Significant differences between the two groups in relation to dysfunctional eating behaviors emerged. Body shame had the strongest relationship to eating problems vulnerability and acted as a mediator in the relationship between low self-esteem and eating disorder risk among both obese and non-obese youngsters.

CONCLUSIONS:
These findings further our understanding of a potential underlying mechanism for eating pathology development in youngsters in general and in obese adolescents in particular, which is of great importance in terms of prevention and treatment.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26191981
Features of objectified body consciousness and sociocultural perspectives as risk factors for disordered eating among late-adolescent women and men.
Jackson T1, Chen H1.
Author information
Abstract

Body surveillance and body shame are features of objectified body consciousness (OBC) that have been linked to disordered eating, yet the evidence base is largely cross-sectional and limited to samples in certain Western countries. Furthermore, it is not clear whether these factors contribute to the prediction of eating disturbances independent of conceptually related risk factors emphasized within other sociocultural accounts. In this prospective study, body surveillance, body shame, and features of complementary sociocultural models (i.e., perceived appearance pressure from mass media and close interpersonal networks, appearance social comparisons, negative affect, body dissatisfaction) were assessed as risk factors for and concomitants of eating disturbances over time. University-age, mainland Chinese women (n = 2144) and men (n = 1017) completed validated measures of eating-disorder pathology and hypothesized risk factors at baseline (T1) and 1-year follow-up (T2). Among women, elevations on T1 measures of sociocultural-model features predicted more T2 eating disturbances, independent of T1 disturbances. After controlling for other T1 predictors, body surveillance and shame made modest unique contributions to the model. Finally, heightened T2 body dissatisfaction, media, and interpersonal appearance pressure, negative affect, and body shame predicted concomitant increases in T2 eating concerns. For men, T1 features of sociocultural accounts (negative affect, body dissatisfaction) but not OBC predicted T2 eating disturbances, along with attendant elevations in T2 negative affect, interpersonal appearance pressure, and body shame. Implications are discussed for theory and intervention that target disordered eating.
those are some of the most interesting studies in the past 1 1/2 years.

Last edited:
Funny that Japan, China, etc all have "fat shaming" as part of their culture and their women are FAR thinner.

I don't take "everyday feminism" as a source for anything since they all promote this obese crap. I would figure you would quote a feminist website though.
Yes their culture also promotes whitening products for the skin....not sure we should base on culture on theirs

Yes their culture also promotes whitening products for the skin....not sure we should base on culture on theirs

How about any other country whose members aren't morbidly obese? Most of them "shame" people for being fat.

Those are mostly gibberish.

Not one shows a "positive attitude towards weight" has been effective for long term weight loss in the general population. Its just nebulous gibberish about feeling good helps lose weight without evidence that any diet they use can do this.

that clearly is not the point of those articles. strawman argument?

those studies are not about what reduces weight - those studies are about the causes of eating disorders, and fat shaming increases the risks of eating disorders. apparently, 20 million american women and 10 million american men at one time or other have an eating disorder.

oddly enough and apropos, it is National Eating Disorder Week (Feb 26- March 3.)

might be a good time for those who are not acquainted with eating disorders to learn more

http://nedawareness.org/

that clearly is not the point of those articles. strawman argument?

those studies are not about what reduces weight - those studies are about the causes of eating disorders, and fat shaming increases the risks of eating disorders. apparently, 20 million american women and 10 million american men at one time or other have an eating disorder.

oddly enough and apropos, it is National Eating Disorder Week (Feb 26- March 3.)

might be a good time for those who are not acquainted with eating disorders to learn more

http://nedawareness.org/

Cool story bro.

I think more fat positive models would help too. That should really cut the obesity rates.

The only reason these people are fat is because people are supposedly mean to them.

Funny though how places that hold people accountable the most in terms of weight magically have thinner people. Must be a coincidence.

I'm Sure some PHD in women studies and psychology will tell me different though. I personally blame the patriarchy and Victoria secret model standards for obesity in women.

your cynicism aside, ive been reading up a lot on the differences with asian cultures (especially japan).

one of the common points is that there is not technically fat shaming there, more as thin embracing. some writers called this passive fat shaming. (instead of "she's fat, she should lose weight", its "she looks so great because she is so thin, i want to be like her")

the culture is much different. it would be great to be more embracing (of thinness, in this case), but that would also require a change in societal norms and mores....

your cynicism aside, ive been reading up a lot on the differences with asian cultures (especially japan).

one of the common points is that there is not technically fat shaming there, more as thin embracing. some writers called this passive fat shaming. (instead of "she's fat, she should lose weight", its "she looks so great because she is so thin, i want to be like her")

the culture is much different. it would be great to be more embracing (of thinness, in this case), but that would also require a change in societal norms and mores....

check this out and get back to me:

you really think fat shaming is an issue or fat acceptance particularly for women?

Yeah but notice how everyone defended her IMMEDIATELY against some anonymous posters.

That proves "fat shaming" isn't accepted and that we are VERY accepting of FAT WOMEN

Cast not ye pearls upon the swine.

Yeah but notice how everyone defended her IMMEDIATELY against some anonymous posters.

That proves "fat shaming" isn't accepted and that we are VERY accepting of FAT WOMEN

Well people need to be realistic about what they look like, and all these liberal women that defend anyone whenever a man states the obvious, have their own issues they aren't dealing with.

Gaga looked fine for the first part of her act, they decided to change into a two piece which didn't look so good, which was clear enough to everyone.
A woman can't rock a two piece outfit or bikini, when she's chubby. They should be self aware enough to stay with a once piece outfit, just like no 300lb man should be trying to pull off a speedo.