EMR - Practice Fusion no longer free

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xavier2000

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been using Practice Fusion and starting next month they want 100/month.

Price isn't bad but thought I would check if any better/more economical options.

Really want a cloud based deal with erx as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I converted to Talk EHR. They have some bugs to work out, but I like the interface and it's free (for now).

Members don't see this ad :)
Been using Practice Fusion and starting next month they want 100/month.

Price isn't bad but thought I would check if any better/more economical options.

Really want a cloud based deal with erx as well.

Even though 100 is not bad, I was told that it is for additional functions but the basic is still free. Speaking of practice fusion are you uing it just for prescribing or also for notes/billing etc.

Even though 100 is not bad, I was told that it is for additional functions but the basic is still free. Speaking of practice fusion are you uing it just for prescribing or also for notes/billing etc.

Use it for both but just in small small side hustle and the friend or family member that needs a zpak

Nothing is free after June 1, except accessing old data already entered

. Oh well,of course nothing is for free. it's still a pretty good system. I use a combination of electronic systems, only used it for e-prescribing.

I'm separating my EHR and ERx. Switching to MDToolbox for ERx.

How much is it for ERx only? Does it include controlled substances? I'm wondering if I should get a full EMR like Luminello for $100 per month, or just use paper charting or Word, and only pay for E-rx for my eventual small side practice.

How much is it for ERx only? Does it include controlled substances? I'm wondering if I should get a full EMR like Luminello for $100 per month, or just use paper charting or Word, and only pay for E-rx for my eventual small side practice.
With the controlled substances feature it's <$40/mo.

Just curious for those taking a few decent insurances, what are you using for billing or what have you found easiest? i have used a few diff ones, office ally and therapy notes, was thinking of going to an ehr maybe practice fusion for everything, however not sure yet with all these new ones coming out.

I use Practice Fusion. I prefer EPIC but it's too expensive for a small practice.

I'm not surprised at all they're going to charge money. It was too nice to not charge money. You usually don't see really cool and nice software that's free or continues to be free unless it's relatively simply and Practice Fusion has a lot of cool features.

I'm just going to pay the money. The saved paper, saved ink, and 5 cabinets that were ever-growing and already fully packed with patient notes are worth it.

I'm using a separate E-prescribe program right now only because about 1/4 of my patients are in Illinois and Practice Fusion isn't yet approved for scripts in that state yet but when it does get that state I'll drop my E-prescription program and go PF all the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I use Practice Fusion. I prefer EPIC but it's too expensive for a small practice.

I'm not surprised at all they're going to charge money. It was too nice to not charge money. You usually don't see really cool and nice software that's free or continues to be free unless it's relatively simply and Practice Fusion has a lot of cool features.

I'm just going to pay the money. The saved paper, saved ink, and 5 cabinets that were ever-growing and already fully packed with patient notes are worth it.

I'm using a separate E-prescribe program right now only because about 1/4 of my patients are in Illinois and Practice Fusion isn't yet approved for scripts in that state yet but when it does get that state I'll drop my E-prescription program and go PF all the way.

What do you like most about PF vs other EMR's?

I already subscribed as well. Curious if any of you use it for documentation and any billing (if you accept any insurances that is). They have an area to document but I have never used it.

I've used 3 EMRs.
Epic, Practice Fusion and Avatar.
Avatar blows. It just freaking sucks. It's like using an old DOS program. IMHO using paper is easier than using Avatar.

Epic: Most people have used this because big programs with medschools and residencies are big enough to pay the expensive fee.

Practice Fusion: Here's what I like. MONEY AND LESS PAPER/Ink. I don't have to buy anywhere near as much paper. So while I haven't exactly calculated the $ I'm saving I'm estimating it's a few hundred dollars a year in paper and ink. It saves space in my office. Doctors are obligated to store records for several years and many doctors have to pay for the storage so it'll save money there too.

It's INTUITIVE. Meaning that like Windows or Macintosh the set-up makes sense. That's a problem I had with Avatar. After I used it even for more than a month I still couldn't figure out much of it and had to waste about 10 minutes a patient just trying to load something up that should've been automatic, the delay occurring because the thing was so counter-intuitive.

It's got SMART-PHRASES. I type in 2-3 letters and an entire phrase pops up for me.

It CATALOGS my patients, allows for BILLING so the doctor doesn't have to buy a separate billing program, SCHEDULES, and does E-PRESCRIBING even for controlled substances.

E-prescription programs themselves could be $500+ a year. Like I said before it doesn't work in Illinois and some other states but will likely have all states in the coming months.

LABS: It forms connections with local labs so I can have them directly put into the patient's notes.

I've used 3 EMRs.
Epic, Practice Fusion and Avatar.
Avatar blows. It just freaking sucks. It's like using an old DOS program. IMHO using paper is easier than using Avatar.

Epic: Most people have used this because big programs with medschools and residencies are big enough to pay the expensive fee.

Practice Fusion: Here's what I like. MONEY AND LESS PAPER/Ink. I don't have to buy anywhere near as much paper. So while I haven't exactly calculated the $ I'm saving I'm estimating it's a few hundred dollars a year in paper and ink. It saves space in my office. Doctors are obligated to store records for several years and many doctors have to pay for the storage so it'll save money there too.

It's INTUITIVE. Meaning that like Windows or Macintosh the set-up makes sense. That's a problem I had with Avatar. After I used it even for more than a month I still couldn't figure out much of it and had to waste about 10 minutes a patient just trying to load something up that should've been automatic, the delay occurring because the thing was so counter-intuitive.

It's got SMART-PHRASES. I type in 2-3 letters and an entire phrase pops up for me.

It CATALOGS my patients, allows for BILLING so the doctor doesn't have to buy a separate billing program, SCHEDULES, and does E-PRESCRIBING even for controlled substances.

E-prescription programs themselves could be $500+ a year. Like I said before it doesn't work in Illinois and some other states but will likely have all states in the coming months.

LABS: It forms connections with local labs so I can have them directly put into the patient's notes.

Hi, I had a question about billing, that is if you take any insurances at all that is or if you ever did, how does it work? when I spoke to them a while ago they said that you have to use something like Kareo for example, or some other external billing system that they partner with, is there a way to bypass that?

When Practice FUSION switches to $100 per month, do they drop the requirement that you allow them to monetize all your patient data for sale to pharma and other buyers? That was the deal killer for me.

I'm getting the impression that Practice Fusion is the best paid EMR for a solo psychiatrist . Any thoughts?

When Practice FUSION switches to $100 per month, do they drop the requirement that you allow them to monetize all your patient data for sale to pharma and other buyers? That was the deal killer for me.

Don't know. I'm curious myself.

Check out Luminello

I haven't started using Luminello in practice yet, but I opened an account last month and playing around with it, so far I like it better than Practice Fusion. The layout is cleaner, workflow seems to go more smoothly and more intuitively for me. It has most of the functions as Practice Fusion although they don't have built in labs yet, supposedly it's in progress and "coming soon".

I haven't started using Luminello in practice yet, but I opened an account last month and playing around with it, so far I like it better than Practice Fusion. The layout is cleaner, workflow seems to go more smoothly and more intuitively for me. It has most of the functions as Practice Fusion although they don't have built in labs yet, supposedly it's in progress and "coming soon".

I emailed them asking about labs. They responded quickly and were very friendly. Their response:

"E-labs has been signed off on by our partner, Change Healthcare. We're now waiting for Quest and LabCorp to sign off, as a formality. The labs haven't given us a timeline for their approval. Nevertheless, we anticipate having this feature rolled out in the near future. We'll be sure to contact you as soon as we have an update.

Also, It is up to Quest and LabCorp to determine whether they will enroll any individual practitioner into e-ordering. Luminello is not part of that process. Once released, providers will have access to hundreds of labs including Quest and LabCorp.

Additionally, the labs feature will be fully integrated with your Luminello account and charts. "

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think EPIC is the best EMR out there but wouldn't recommend it for a solo practice cause it's just too darned expensive.

My secretary thanked me yesterday for using Practice Fusion. All the other psychiatrists in the office are using paper charts. Mountains of paper that cost money to maintain, the ink and paper cost money and it's a hassle. Also whenever I read their notes I can't read their handwriting well.

Worth the $100 a month IMHO.

I emailed them asking about labs. They responded quickly and were very friendly. Their response:

"E-labs has been signed off on by our partner, Change Healthcare. We're now waiting for Quest and LabCorp to sign off, as a formality. The labs haven't given us a timeline for their approval. Nevertheless, we anticipate having this feature rolled out in the near future. We'll be sure to contact you as soon as we have an update.

Also, It is up to Quest and LabCorp to determine whether they will enroll any individual practitioner into e-ordering. Luminello is not part of that process. Once released, providers will have access to hundreds of labs including Quest and LabCorp.

Additionally, the labs feature will be fully integrated with your Luminello account and charts. "

Update - They still don't have e-labs or are a firm timeline for them.

Quest is linked to my PF acct.

Labcorp, however, is not and like you mentioned, it's cause of them not PF. And when I call Labcorp they play stupid.

While I could just write off Labcorp some of my patients have insurance that'll only accept them an no one else.

what are your thoughts about Valant?

funny i put a memo on my iphone about practice fusion and i was emailed about it shortly after

I have been doing paper charts and paper Rx’s for years and now have some patients whose mail-order pharmacy (Optum) is requiring e-prescribing for controlled substances, no exceptions.

I am thinking of going ahead and making the complete change to an EMR since I know I’ll eventually have to do so one way or another. I’m entirely self-pay although patients use insurance to fill Rx’s and for labs.

Practice Fusion, Luminello and Valant are the ones I’ve looked into a bit. PF and Luminello seem like the best deal. Valant is considerably more expensive from the rates I’ve seen and perhaps not as user friendly.

Current thoughts on private practice EMR for those of you doing this? Does PF still sell patient demographic data?

Thanks.

I have been doing paper charts and paper Rx’s for years and now have some patients whose mail-order pharmacy (Optum) is requiring e-prescribing for controlled substances, no exceptions.

I am thinking of going ahead and making the complete change to an EMR since I know I’ll eventually have to do so one way or another. I’m entirely self-pay although patients use insurance to fill Rx’s and for labs.

Practice Fusion, Luminello and Valant are the ones I’ve looked into a bit. PF and Luminello seem like the best deal. Valant is considerably more expensive from the rates I’ve seen and perhaps not as user friendly.

Current thoughts on private practice EMR for those of you doing this? Does PF still sell patient demographic data?

Thanks.

Write all controlled substances 30 days only via papers scripts. They can't enforce 90 day supplies on controls. Not worth the 2k to not only get a EMR but you have to pay even more to unlock the Rx for controlled meds feature on them.

Write all controlled substances 30 days only via papers scripts. They can't enforce 90 day supplies on controls. Not worth the 2k to not only get a EMR but you have to pay even more to unlock the Rx for controlled meds feature on them.
I typically write controlled substances for 30 days only. This particular patient’s insurance requires mail-order in order to cover Rx’s. I have already looked into this and they will only cover a one-month Rx if it’s a new med or a dose change. Ongoing Rx’s have to be 90-days in order for the insurance to pay and now all controlled substances with this mail order have to be e-prescribed.

The medication is Schedule IV, no generic and upwards of $300/month out of pocket; too prohibitive for the patient to pay when insurance will cover it but under their stipulations. It’s been a pretty big headache...

I typically write controlled substances for 30 days only. This particular patient’s insurance requires mail-order in order to cover Rx’s. I have already looked into this and they will only cover a one-month Rx if it’s a new med or a dose change. Ongoing Rx’s have to be 90-days in order for the insurance to pay and now all controlled substances with this mail order have to be e-prescribed.

The medication is Schedule IV, no generic and upwards of $300/month out of pocket; too prohibitive for the patient to pay when insurance will cover it but under their stipulations. It’s been a pretty big headache...

Hmm ok i have yet to run into this yet. I do have patients who also require 90 days meds with optum but even for the name brand scheduled meds they have made the exception and fill it at the preferred pharmacy monthly without issues. I had to talk to a pharmacist once under a similar situation to clarify things and they were able to process it. I still wouldn't spend 2k for 1 patient's issues. Even if your correct there has to be a way to call it into optum via fax or mailed script to them.

Hmm ok i have yet to run into this yet. I do have patients who also require 90 days meds with optum but even for the name brand scheduled meds they have made the exception and fill it at the preferred pharmacy monthly without issues. I had to talk to a pharmacist once under a similar situation to clarify things and they were able to process it. I still wouldn't spend 2k for 1 patient's issues. Even if your correct there has to be a way to call it into optum via fax or mailed script to them.
Thanks. I haven’t tried talking to a pharmacist about it. I will look into that and see what they say.

I’m still on the fence about an EMR. My preference would be to not, but all indicators I’ve seen recently suggest this is where everything is going - even private practice. So, if any of you have recent experience with any of the platforms, I would appreciate your feedback.

Love Luminello.
Pay in advance, 1k for the year, and that includes the prescribing feature.
I've done benzos (tapering off), suboxone, and stimulants with out any issue and the e-prescribing.
I like it better then Epic.
Task feature is Amazing!

Love Luminello.
I've done benzos (tapering off), suboxone, and stimulants with out any issue and the e-prescribing.
Task feature is Amazing!
Thank you! Luminello does look good from what I’ve seen.

Love Luminello.
Task feature is Amazing!

How do you deal with labs in Luminello? I’ve been getting labs faxed to my virtual fax # and uploading the pdf. It’s pretty annoying to say the least. Is there a better way?

It is annoying. But I also know that even if they got it integrated with Labcorp, Quest, Local Big Box Shop, that one of the many wouldn't work well and it we'd still be scanning, so that one would be nice but I'm not expecting great leaps there.

I scan it in as PDF, label as "lab"
I then click the 'add to chart'
I then add a comment with which lab it is: CBC, CMP, TSH

Actually, now my receptionist does all that, AND makes me a task labeled as REVIEW LABS set to the date she uploaded it.
With it added as a task, I know to get it done. So I'm now removed from managing the fax and the upload.
After I review it, I then add a comment to the task, and change the date to next appointment, so I remember to add my comments on that follow up note.
REVIEW LABS - CBC, CMP WNL, TSH 13.0, remind patient again to see PCP or Endo

Reactions: 1 users
I'm at the crossroads of Luminello vs Practice Fusion. Demo'd both and I feel like PF is better for my work. However, e-prescribing is vital for me and I can't test that out during their 2 week trial. And I don't want to commit to their minimum 1 year contract only to find out their e-prescribing is not very efficient. Need to be able to rx controlled substances also. Think I should just pony up for PF?

Luminello had DoseSpot integrated as its Rx feature, and some time back last summer they upgraded/changed their interface, and it really slowed things down. One of those upgrades that actually made things less user friendly. I believe Luminello got a enough feedback and they are dropping DoseSpot in exchange for DrFirst. They are just now starting to convert their subscribers over from DoseSpot to DrFirst. I'm optimistic it will get back to being a better interface.

But with the DoseSpot Rx feature, I have been able to prescribe controlled substances no problem.

Can't really comment on Practice Fusion. Let us know if that's what you opt for.