1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

EMS Medical Director as Resident

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by corpsmanUP, May 14, 2007.

1. corpsmanUP

corpsmanUP Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Please tell me how you guys function as medical directors of EMS agencies as a resident? Tons of programs seem to offer this but I know residents are not paying their own malpractice for this. How do programs cover it for you? I am the first to be a medical director at my program and I am operating under a staff EP. But other residents wish to do the same for other agencies and I have heard my chair is not sure how to cover us or if he is willing to. I need some concrete facts on this issue. Thx.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jeff698

Jeff698 EM/EMS nerd
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Being an assistant medical director is required in our program (we cover many different services in our regional system so there's more than enough to go around). Since it's required, we're covered under our resident malpractice insurance.

I'm not sure about being covered for direction of systems not affiliated with your residency. The good news is that administrative policies for EMS medical direction are available and pretty reasonable. You should be able to have the system cover your policy.

Take care,
    Jeff

4. corpsmanUP

corpsmanUP Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I guess my next question is what makes one of the systems in your area "affiliated" with your residency other than one of you residents serving as their medical director? I doubt all the systems under your program have the same protocols right? So who actually is the medical director for these individual systems at the state level, and who carries their malpractice? Does S&W know they are the carrier for each little system then in the area? I'm confused a bit.

5. Jeff698

Jeff698 EM/EMS nerd
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Each of these systems contracts with S&W to provide medical direction and pays for these services. Each has the same medical director, Dr. Greenberg, who is one of our faculty.

Each system does, in fact, have the same protocols with some variations based on local resources. Not all systems have 12 leads, for example. Also, our helicopter EMS and critical care EMS have much different training and resources so their protocols are more extensive than most other ground units within our system.

The hospital certainly knows that our malpractice insurace covers both Dr. Greenberg's administrative activities (he's our department's vice chair, in addition to our EMS guru) and the EMS administrative activities of each resident assistant medical director. Dr. Greenberg is given release time from his clinical duties in order to perform his EMS administrative duties.

Additionaly, our EMS fellow is also covered under the hospital's malpractice insurance. He is also considered an asssitant medical director of all services within the S&W medical control system.

Each resident in our program is assigned an EMS service within our medical control system. We work with Dr. Greenberg, the primary medical director for each system, in everything we do.

Hope that clears up your confusion. If not, let me know and I'll take another shot at it.

Take care,
    Jeff

6. corpsmanUP

corpsmanUP Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Now that makes perfect sense! I was thinking that you guys were the actual medical director without serving as an assistant. That clears things up, and maybe we can do something similar to that here in Iowa. I know we have tons of agencies within our area and most use some internist to simply sign things for them. That helps a lot Jeff.