EMSAM a flop? No kidding!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anasazi23

Your Digital Ruler
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Members don't see this ad :)
There's been an extensive thread about this on our psychopharm listserv. The general impression is that EMSAM is NOT a treatment for treatment refractory depression, and (my favorite quote) "EMSAM is very effective at producing one result in all my patients on it - poverty."

MBK2003

Not that it matters much now.....

1. How often have you seen skin irritation?
2. How were the s/e for the 9 and 12 patches? (All I kept hearing and reading was about the 'wonders' of the 6mg)

-t

I'd consider giving it--if an SSRI failed.

I inherited a couple patients on it in the clinic.
I don't think it'll accomplish anything that I can't achieve with a tricyclic or an augmented ssri. I'd have to go through most of my gamut of augmenting strategies, which are a lot, to get to this....unless the patient was interested in it as a higher option.

Going over the 6mg is almost mandatory, and also brings in the dietary restriction, which is a real PITA for some patients.

Still, I think that overall, the more methods of delivery we have available to us, the better. There are times when we need liquid ssri's and the like.

I think delivery systems can definitely improve....though I wasn't really sure why they chose try an MAOI patch....I'd think that would be a bottom of the list choice. Pts in general have a hard enough time with med compliance, what makes them think they will actually change their dietary intake?

I'd like to see more dissolveable gels (like the Listerine tabs)....I wonder if anyone would consider them for pre-existing meds?

-t

Still, I think that overall, the more methods of delivery we have available to us, the better. There are times when we need liquid ssri's and the like.

Agree.

I haven't even prescribed one patient on this thing yet, but I'm glad there is a transdermal delivery system just in case.