EMT-1 to a EMT-2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedrod

youtube ruined my apps
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone here become an EMT-2? if so, what did you have to do to become one, how long did it take and did you find it useful? if you have anymore info that you think would be helpful, please feel free to tell.

Members don't see this ad.

I looked at your mdapps and notice your from CA. If you are considering getting certified as an EMT-Intermediate, I wouldn't bother with it. You can't do much in CA as an EMT-Intermediate (or EMT-2). In other states, particularly more rural, an EMT-2 can allow you to do a lot more things like start IVs.

Being an EMT to just gain health care experience, I'd say just save your money and time and stay as an EMT-Basic. I don't think its worth it. If you really want good experience and knowledge, become an ER Tech. I've been doing it for a little over a year and its been amazing.

Members don't see this ad :)
rafatech, how did you get a job as an er tech? I checked online job listings of nearby hospitals and they don't seem to having anything like that available. maybe I'm just not looking right :(
Also, do you need to be an EMT to qualify?

-also, I second the unimportance of getting an EMT-I; there's basically no difference btwn that and an EMT-B. Although I do know a couple people that became paramedics and that has given them more medical exposure.

rafatech, how did you get a job as an er tech? I checked online job listings of nearby hospitals and they don't seem to having anything like that available. maybe I'm just not looking right :(
Also, do you need to be an EMT to qualify?

You do need to be an EMT to become an ER tech. Also, most hospitals require experience working on an ambulance for 6 months to 1 year before they'll consider you for a job.

I live in Southern CA which has a bunch of hospitals. I applied to a whole bunch of places before I finally got a job. You just have to be constantly be checking hospital websites for new postings. Some months there are jobs, other times there aren't. Where I work, the Techs are constantly leaving to go to med school, nursing school, etc. so there are always jobs opening up at my hospital every few months.

One other important thing...sometimes the positions are not always listed as "ER Tech". Many time if found the jobs as "Emergency Department Tech" or Emergency Services Technician" or "Emergency Care Technician". I usually just searched for ancillary jobs on the hospital websiteds with the key word "emergency" or "ER"

PM me if you want more info.