1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

EMT Basic

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Yes Sir, May 3, 2007.

1. Yes Sir

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello, Two years ago as a freshman I became an EMT Basic. I never had any interest in med school but after this course I decided that is was I wanted to do. I had a few questions about the strength of this on my resume counting towards clinical experience. Also I have never acutally used it and it will expire soon. Is it worth my time to renew it or would my time be better spent just volunteering somewhere. Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gudog

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would hang on to it, and use it, also. Consider working some part time, both for the money and for the experience.

4. blrnystn

Medical Student
    My advice is to get a part time job working for an ambulance company. There's usually a high turnover rate, so just be persistent with applying and you'll get one. I followed a similar path as you, going for the EMT B ticket and getting seriously interested in medicine as a career. I'm now getting ready to start med school in Aug and I can say that I was asked about my 10 months of ambulance work at almost every interview.

Compared to volunteer work, as an EMT will probably play a more active role. Plus the job teaches you responsibility and ability to handle stress, two things that will be necessary for a career in medicine. And you will definitely have experiences to draw on for your personal statements and essays for med school applications.

Riding around on the ambulance with your partner sometimes it just feels like you're just hanging out and it can be a lot of fun. Other times, you'll probably be able to get homework done while getting paid if there are no calls (in my area Sundays were best for this).

5. armybound

armybound urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I renewed my certification. It's a very useful certification to have because your opportunities for employment or volunteering are a lot more varied than the typical pre-med with no prior medical experience. For example, there's a local medical center that takes care of the homeless where a lot of my fellow pre-meds volunteered. They would usually file papers or take patient histories. When I talked to them about volunteering and told them I was an EMT-B, they offered to let me draw blood and start IVs, other things that other students couldn't.

Unfortunately the EMT-B thing is so common nowadays that I'm pretty sure it will have little leverage. I don't think it's really worked to my advantage yet, except for the work opportunities it opened up to me.

6. Vvandenn

Vvandenn Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Being a certified EMT-B has opened up a lot of job opportunities for me as the guy above mentioned. If you actually put your certification to use, it'll be a positive experience for you and for application purposes. Anything will help.

7. emaj1n

emaj1n M1
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't know how much value the cert. is if you don't use it. Think about this way, if you are on an adcom and John Doe says he is EMT-B certified but never actually worked or volunteered, you're going to wonder why--as in, why is he applying if he's not interested in providing basic health care.

Stop by your local fire station and let them hook you up with the membership chair of the local volunteer department. I never worked for an ambulance service, but from my experience listening to others, you'll run more calls as a volunteer. Volunteers also have the financial support of their department, which will often pay for refresher courses and additional education.

My EMT-B expired, and I wish I hadn't let it go. Like many other things in like, use it while you still can!:laugh:

8. aliendancer84

aliendancer84 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Have you been keeping up with CE hours? If not most states won't let you renew it without retaking the class. Some states also won't let you renew it if you haven't been working as an EMT. You should check that.

9. armybound

armybound urologist.

Resident [Any Field]
    I went 4 years without any CEs and just took the recertification exam. it's basically a shorter version of the initial certification exam.

of course that's in TX, it may differ other places.

10. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Re-certification varies from state to state. Usually state re-certification is easier than renewing your National Registry.

I'm assuming the OP is finishing his junior year now, so by the time he renews the cert. and finds a job he will be well into his senior year. OP, if you are planning to take time off before you go to medical school renewing the cert. and working as an EMT would be worth your time. But if you are applying in this next cycle volunteering would be a faster way of taking care of your clinical experience.

11. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just because it's common doesn't mean it's not still very helpful. Research is common too, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. I had a great time as an EMT-B running 911 calls.

12. momtwo

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I am not sure but I'm guessing that having EMT certification is not what is valuable but rather the steady strong use of the certification and the amount of hours you put in working. Both of my daughters were EMTs (one was both volunteer AND paid) and in both admissions processes (Physician Assistant and MD) they felt the work in the EMT field impressed the admissions committees. Of course the rest of the application needed to be strong as well. I think EMT work being long shifts(12-24 hours) on top of working a paid job and going to school/studying while keeping up your grades is a good tip off to the admissions people that you can have a lot on your plate successfully.

13. armybound

armybound urologist.

Resident [Any Field]
    oh I'm not saying it's worthless, I just don't think it was the golden ticket I used to think it was.