EMT Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would getting my EMT certification help my application? I am applying in June.

Just getting the cert alone is not gonna help you any. However, getting your EMT cert and working as an EMT to gain clinical experience will help you

Just getting the cert alone is not gonna help you any. However, getting your EMT cert and working as an EMT to gain clinical experience will help you

This. So many applicants are EMT certified, so it really depends on the level of experience you get with it. Don't get certified if you're not willing to put in the hours to do the job and get the experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to agree with everyone else. I got my EMT cert and worked for an EMT for about 1.5 years (both full time and part time) and it was talked about in every one of my interviews. If you are willing to put the time in to work as an EMT it can also be a great way to begin to learn good bedside manner and how to talk to patients.

I have to agree with everyone else. I got my EMT cert and worked for an EMT for about 1.5 years (both full time and part time) and it was talked about in every one of my interviews. If you are willing to put the time in to work as an EMT it can also be a great way to begin to learn good bedside manner and how to talk to patients.

I did the same but only worked for a year. Arguably the most life-changing experience i've ever had. However, a lot of the work I did was with the mentally ill, prisoners, and dialysis patients.

I did the same but only worked for a year. Arguably the most life-changing experience i've ever had. However, a lot of the work I did was with the mentally ill, prisoners, and dialysis patients.

I've been an EMT with a volunteer organization (over 50 hours a month) for more than 4 years. Its probably the most rewarding part of my high school and college experiences. Not only do you learn a tremendous amount of clinical skills, just by observing the paramedics or talking to the ER docs, but you'll improve your interpersonal skills.

It does help you gain the clinical experience, but Ismet said you gotta dedicate the time.

Agree with everybody else! It'll look pretty bad if you just get the cert and don't put the hours in.

That being said, none of my interviewers have asked me extensive questions about my EMT experience (or about shadowing, for that matter). The most any one of them did was say, "Oh, so you were an EMT," and left it at that.