EMT Clinical Rotation Only Clinical Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SarahC42

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First time poster here. I just want some advice on my application.

GPA: 3.65 cGPA/3.51sGPA
MCAT: 520
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 260 hours tutoring underprivileged kids, 90 hours soup kitchen/clothing drive, 60 hours animal shelter, 180 hours YMCA
Clinical Experience: 50 hours EMT-B Class Clinical Rotations, 30 hours hospice care (started February), 140 hours shadowing 4 different doctors
Research: 2,400 hours with 3rd author in the works
Work: 10 hours/wk for 3 years of college

My question is, will my low hours of clinical experience sink me? I took an EMT-B class in Sophomore year, but couldn't find any way to use the cert. I was unsure of my path but the 50 hours of clinical rotations in the class helped push me towards medicine. I did 30 hours in the hospital ER and 20 on the ambulance. It was pretty intense - I was taking vital signs, filling out PCRs, etc. I originally thought high school experiences could be used (I had 400hrs of hospital volunteering), but that turned out to be false.

Right now, I am in my first gap year and just started hospice care last month. What are my chances if I apply this cycle vs. taking a second gap year and getting 600 hours of hospice volunteering? If I apply this cycle and get rejected, how bad would being a reapplicant be, if I "filled" the hole in my application next year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You also posted the same request in the WAMC thread. Delete one or you will have a confusing time managing responses.
I deleted the WAMC thread.
Do you think my app currently is doa? I know cramming a bunch of hours before applying isn't a good look either.

Members don't see this ad :)
This doesn't answer your question but do your local hospitals accept the EMT cert for ER tech positions? When I was in FL we had a few working in the ED

Reactions: 1 user
This doesn't answer your question but do your local hospitals accept the EMT cert for ER tech positions? When I was in FL we had a few working in the ED

Not trying to take away from the OP, but would only 3 months of working as an ER tech be strong/good? I'm facing the same challenge as OP in terms of making use of the EMT-B cert.

The question may help OP think as well. I've read often that 3 months of scribing will have only gotten you trained so quitting so soon isn't the best option, unless of course, you go through with it throughout the summer as well.

Not trying to take away from the OP, but would only 3 months of working as an ER tech be strong/good? I'm facing the same challenge as OP in terms of making use of the EMT-B cert.

The question may help OP think as well. I've read often that 3 months of scribing will have only gotten you trained so quitting so soon isn't the best option, unless of course, you go through with it throughout the summer as well.

I cant answer that (I'm just getting started on this journey) but its gotta be stronger than an unused certification. Plus it should count as clinical experience as most ER techs have direct patient contact. Plus it puts you in a great spot to network with physicians from different specialties for shadowing and LORs.

I dont know what a scribe is and even if it counts as clinical experience, it doesn't sound like direct patient experience. I'm not sure if programs look at the quality of the clinical experience but if they do....

I mean maybe do both if possible? One PT or PRN

Thanks. Describe any physician shadowing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

The way I worded my PS was that my EMT rotations in the ER sparked my interest in medicine, and all the shadowing I did afterwards (derm, IM, allergy, ID), gave me insight on the emotional aspect of medicine vs. research.

This is true. I'm doing full time bench research right now and going to the hospice after work, twice a week. I actually enjoy my time talking to the hospice patients more than running gels and looking at numbers. Research is cold and lonely :(.

A question to you all: I am currently volunteering at food banks/hospice/hospital and will have about 400 hours of service in a few months (along with hopefully a 3rd author paper). Should I send medical schools a letter detailing my activities in September?

Just adding my 2 cents but I do think its worth actually using the certification as a paid ER Tech/patient tech. I think clinical volunteering is good and all but working as an EMT to some degree you are making decisions about a patients pre-hospital care and also administering care. I think there are also some hospice centers and elderly care facilities that hire EMTs as patient care techs as well, so if you enjoy interacting with the hospice patients that may be something to look into.