EMT/Medical Student...Transfer of care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not done here, never heard of it being allowed anywhere else.
Cheers
It's done all the time as per the previous posters, and also done all the time here in British Columbia, Canada. Any time there is a layered response, ALS will routinely hand off a patient to a BLS crew if they have determined they are stable. This isn't always an easy decision and we all err on the side of caution, but come on, there are certain patients that do not need an ALS transfer.

Members don't see this ad.

Honey you are not to tell me what is and isn't done here. I am glad to hear things still worked where you are tho ;)

Honey you are not to tell me what is and isn't done here. I am glad to hear things still worked where you are tho ;)
He said that's how it works "here in BC, Canada" which is where he works. He didn't tell you how it is where you are however it seems as if the majority of folks so far work in systems where transfer to BLS units is common. Perhaps you are arguing as to how you think things should be rather than how they actually are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not at all. Alberta has the highest level of care of all the provinces, possibly most parts of the states. We all know that not all systems work the same way but having worked here most of my life and having been in the system, I would be one to know. Regardless of how things function else where outside of Ab, that doesn't answer the initial question.

If you to work on the truck (even tho you have more A & P), you are working under your pre-hospital licence. Your residency would not put you in a different position on the units. One thing I don't know for sure is whether or not an ambulance service would ever carry insurance to cover you if you were to treat outside your scope.

Not at all. Alberta has the highest level of care of all the provinces, possibly most parts of the states. We all know that not all systems work the same way but having worked here most of my life and having been in the system, I would be one to know. Regardless of how things function else where outside of Ab, that doesn't answer the initial question.
AB doesn't have the highest level of care, but even if it did, I don't see how that affects the ability to hand off to BLS for stable patients.

My partner is an EMT and if the patient doesn't require ALS interventions the EMT rides in back with the patient and I drive.. It is very common for a medic to allow an EMT to attend to the patient and or hand off to a BLS unit if the patient doesn't require ALS..

My partner is an EMT and if the patient doesn't require ALS interventions the EMT rides in back with the patient and I drive.. It is very common for a medic to allow an EMT to attend to the patient and or hand off to a BLS unit if the patient doesn't require ALS..

I SOOO wish we could do that. We are only allowed to do that if it is a hospital to hospital transfer of psych patients(or something similar).
We would get fired if we did that on a 9-1-1 call. Even if the patient was only complaining of a stubbed toe. It's kinda silly.

AB doesn't have the highest level of care, but even if it did, I don't see how that affects the ability to hand off to BLS for stable patients.

:rolleyes:

waw...

What IS it about this forum? It seems like every thread turns into some weird tangential pissing contest, usually with one side that refuses to listen or substantively respond to the other.

I don't know mate. It's actually the first time I have had to deal with this.

This is getting off topic and is devolving. I think we're getting into the situation where everyone is trying to extrapolate the laws, rules and regs where they work and were trained to every other jurisdiction and we're talking about two different countries here. Remember that the guy who says "This is how it is where I am." is less likely to be wrong than the guy who says "This is how it is everywhere."

Regardless, we need to stay civil and constructive.