EMT or Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frodo25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am going to be a junior in the Fall and have been doing research since the spring of my Freshman year. This past summer, I received a stipend for full time research and plan to continue this research throughout my junior year. However, I feel that I am not really passionate about bench work and would like to stop after my junior year and use my summer to volunteer as a EMT. I already obtained my EMT-B, but haven't been able to use it up to this point. The problem is that my lab is expecting me to stay the summer, which I don't really want to do again. Should I spend the summer volunteering with EMS or should I just continue doing the research and please my PI/lab? What would be the better use of my time?

Members don't see this ad.

No, I have to choose since one is at my school and one is at home

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there no available EMS companies at or around your school?

There are only paid opportunities and its super competitive so I don't think I would get it without any experience. Unfortunately, there are no volunteer agencies around the school.

Well EMS is a lot of fun and you get to make direct patient contacts. You have the certification anyway so you might as well use it. A diverse set of experiences on your resume can't hurt. Applying for those paid positions can't hurt either. Worse case scenario you apply later when you do have some experience.

How are your clinical EC's in general? Has your research all this time in the same lab resulted in anything worth noting (poster, abstract, conference, pub, etc.)?

Clinical experience is vital , so if you are really lacking then perhaps you should do EMT. Although, I say forget EMT and just volunteer at a hospital in combination with research. Anything that'll give you bedside experience is neat.

If you already have sufficient clinical experience, perhaps more commitment to research would be better. A letter of rec from your professor and extensive knowledge about the research you are conducting are all very good things to include in your essay.

There's no reason to volunteer in a hospital when you already have the EMT cert. You can be told to move patients around in a hospital or you can move and treat patients under your own direction out in the field.

Looking into the long term, if you are stuck between those options, the research is going to be more helpful to you. You may get published, but just having more research experience is a good jumping-board to get into more research once you are in medical school.

More research in med school usually means publications, which help you out when residency application comes around, particularly for the more competitive residencies (and consequently, the competitive fellowships).

I fail to see anything that EMT-B will actually add to your career in medicine long-term. If you really want to do it, then do it, but there are other ways to gain clinical exposure that is relevant (ie shadowing physicians, volunteering in hospital units like the PACU).

All the above is coming from someone who dislikes doing research, BTW. But I do it anyways because it's necessary until I get that nice Attending status.

Reactions: 1 user
There's no reason to volunteer in a hospital when you already have the EMT cert. You can be told to move patients around in a hospital or you can move and treat patients under your own direction out in the field.
I'm not sure where your experience lies, but rarely do EMTs treat patients under their own direction, especially in a metropolitan area. The majority of the time, a paramedic is in charge, especially for anything life-threatening. Yeah it's hands-on, but EMS should not be considered a resume booster since it's actually a career for many people. That would be like saying "I'll just be a nurse to get clinical experience for medical school". Why would you do that when you could just volunteer in a hospital? I find it somewhat inconsiderate for some pre-med dingus who may never go to medical school to take a job as an EMT just to check off the clinical experience box on AMCAS, when someone else with a family of 4 may actually need it just to make ends meet. For some, EMS is as far as they will go, and unless you're dedicated to the field, there are plenty of other opportunities to gain clinical exposure.

I'm not sure where your experience lies, but rarely do EMTs treat patients under their own direction, especially in a metropolitan area. The majority of the time, a paramedic is in charge, especially for anything life-threatening. Yeah it's hands-on, but EMS should not be considered a resume booster since it's actually a career for many people. That would be like saying "I'll just be a nurse to get clinical experience for medical school". Why would you do that when you could just volunteer in a hospital? I find it somewhat inconsiderate for some pre-med dingus who may never go to medical school to take a job as an EMT just to check off the clinical experience box on AMCAS, when someone else with a family of 4 may actually need it just to make ends meet. For some, EMS is as far as they will go, and unless you're dedicated to the field, there are plenty of other opportunities to gain clinical exposure.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SAYING THIS. As an EMT, I can sympathize. Yes, EMS is great for clinical experience. There's no question about it, even if the paramedic treats many of the life-threatening cases. But do not treat EMS as if it's another extracurricular activity. It's much more; you'll realize when you have 40+ year old members in your squad.

If you work in a BLS service you get plenty of autonomy, including the ability to request or cancel a medic. And just as being an EMT is a career for some it is still completely worthy as an EC when you consider it is a volunteer gig for many. There are services out there that are entirely volunteer. Volunteering in a hospital isn't a bad clinical experience, but it doesn't come close as you are actually able to actually treat patients and perform assessments or skills as an EMT, particularly when OP already has the cert.

The reason why I want to volunteer as an EMT is not solely for the purpose of using it for application purposes, I truly would like to gain the experience on the ambulance. Since I would be doing it the summer before my senior year, it wouldn't carry much weight anyway as an EC so it's just for personal satisfaction. I guess my real question is, would it look bad to deny my lab the offer to work in the summer to do EMS instead?

If you work in a BLS service you get plenty of autonomy, including the ability to request or cancel a medic. And just as being an EMT is a career for some it is still completely worthy as an EC when you consider it is a volunteer gig for many. There are services out there that are entirely volunteer. Volunteering in a hospital isn't a bad clinical experience, but it doesn't come close as you are actually able to actually treat patients and perform assessments or skills as an EMT, particularly when OP already has the cert.
I agree with you on this point, but in reference to the OP, the only services around his/her school are paid, not volunteer. BLS is essential in EMS, and a good BLS assessment will go a long way in helping your patient, but in many cities (e.g.: mine), you will likely only drive the ambulance.

The reason why I want to volunteer as an EMT is not solely for the purpose of using it for application purposes, I truly would like to gain the experience on the ambulance. Since I would be doing it the summer before my senior year, it wouldn't carry much weight anyway as an EC so it's just for personal satisfaction. I guess my real question is, would it look bad to deny my lab the offer to work in the summer to do EMS instead?
As for this, coming from my personal experience in both areas, I would go for the research. EMS is a wonderful job, but it's on a different level. For the majority of EMS agencies, academia is truly the ivory tower. There is no research, there is no respect for education. I've taken a lot of classes in many different academic disciplines, but EMS is the only one I've ever seen turn down a highly educated/experienced individual in favour of the HS diploma/GED holder simply due to number of years in the field. Medicine, as a whole, needs be science-driven, but since the majority of EMS providers have only a couple of semesters of community college, at most, it is hard to change the way we operate and educate. If you stick with the research, you'll network with people who are in positions to help you, while (hopefully) making a contribution to your field. EMS won't necesarily afford you the same opportunities. Do as you wish, but that's just my $0.02. I'm a proponent of higher education and exploration of intellectual pursuits, which is why I'm advocating your research activity. It will likely help you more in the long run. Cheers!

I still don't understand why there are premeds who try to get all kinds of licenses: EMT, LPN, EKG tech, pharm tech (completely useless unless you are a pre-pharm student). Go volunteer in the hospital or hospice for 4 hours a week and spend the rest of the time doing research. Med students are not expected to come with ANY clinical skills but research is becoming more of a requirement for medical school and then a competitive residency.

I say if you really don't want to do research, then don't do it. It's a great opportunity but if you become a physician, you can't really do EMT work again. So do what you want to do. Life's too short to worry about what others (your PI, other interns, etc.) think of your decision.

As an EMT I can tell you this - it's great for clinical exposure, but I think it's only helpful if you are committed to it. I will have more than 500 hours at my volunteer agency by the time I apply. I love the rush you get when you get a call, even if it's something as simple as a sprained ankle. It's something that will help you a ton if AdComs can tell you did it because you were passionate about it. Maybe not so much if you just want to check a box. You'll be better off taking the opportunity that genuinely interests you the most.