EMT or Respiratory Therapist??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMike

MS4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had the option to get one of the above paid for, which would you do? Im sure that EMT gives you more broad range of opportunities, but what else can you do besides be an ER tech or on an ambulance?

Also, can this be done while taking a full course load of pre-reqs in the fall? Or, would that be overload?

Would it look awesome on med school apps?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Many people on SDN would tell you that you should not do an activity solely for the sake of med school apps. True advice, yet we all do it. ;)

Both of these sound good. You'll get a copious amount of clinical exposure for either. That being said, do the one that you love the most, and would feel good about dedicating your time to.

I am not an EMT nor am I an respiratory therapist, so I don't know how much time it consumes. I can imagine it will be time-consuming, so do it only if you know it won't interfere with your grades/ other important ECs.

Good luck! :thumbup:

If you had the option to get one of the above paid for, which would you do? Im sure that EMT gives you more broad range of opportunities, but what else can you do besides be an ER tech or on an ambulance?

Also, can this be done while taking a full course load of pre-reqs in the fall? Or, would that be overload?

Would it look awesome on med school apps?

Thanks!

A basic EMT class could easily be done while taking a full load of other sundries. You'd also get some clinical exposure in the ER and in the field via the ambulance runs as you'll have to participate in both arenas as a component of the class. Going on further to be an advanced EMT (Paramedic) you'll find less time to do a full load, but it is doable. I can testify to that because I did it. Respiratory therapy will be more difficult to do, and you most certainly won't be able to become an RRT after one semester of training as you could become a certified EMT after one semester. I'd personally pursue the EMT route. If you go EMT-Intermediate you'll get IV skills and you might can get hired as a phelbotomist, and If you do paramedic you might can get hired as an EKG tech so there are a few options. The shortest attainable goal would be EMT.

Members don't see this ad :)
A basic EMT class could easily be done while taking a full load of other sundries. You'd also get some clinical exposure in the ER and in the field via the ambulance runs as you'll have to participate in both arenas as a component of the class. Going on further to be an advanced EMT (Paramedic) you'll find less time to do a full load, but it is doable. I can testify to that because I did it. Respiratory therapy will be more difficult to do, and you most certainly won't be able to become an RRT after one semester of training as you could become a certified EMT after one semester. I'd personally pursue the EMT route. If you go EMT-Intermediate you'll get IV skills and you might can get hired as a phelbotomist, and If you do paramedic you might can get hired as an EKG tech so there are a few options. The shortest attainable goal would be EMT.

True. Most RT programs run two years after you meet certain prereqs. So if you are not already an RT or almost finished with an RT program, I would not suggest it.

resp therapy no doubt.

EMT jobs are harder to find, and even then you'll just be hauling patients around. it's more like a taxi service really, at least for EMTs.

Previous two both have solid points, as an RT a job will be much easier to come by and have better pay. The education for an EMT-B is only a semester long vs. an AA or AS that is now the minimum to be credentialed as an RT.