EMT Training--How long?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GymClassHero

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much training is required to become certified as an EMT?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how much training is required to become certified as an EMT?

About 140 hours. You can do it in a month through an accelerated or summer course or over a semester at a community college.

as little as 2 weeks full time. as long as 4 months part time. search around on google and past threads on sdn for more info.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can usually find one that does 18 hours/week for about 2.5 months. My school had that, and while it is a lot of time if you're doing it during a semester, it's really worth it.

I will be completin mine of a 2 month span at a community college. I am really looking foward to it:)

Mine was 3 months and then practicals... every tue and thurs for 2-3 hrs. I took it at the fire training center. (EMT Basic-defib)...I know I'm dental but it's a good thing to know.

Mine was a semester. It started in late January. Finished it 4 days ago. It's not that hard of a course, but it does take up quite a bit of time and has a lot of busy work. Good luck. EMT is a great job for a pre-med. I hope you actually use your cert to work or volunteer after you are done. Don't just get the cert to make yourself look good on med school apps like many premeds do.

I did mine in 2 weeks at EMTinc. in Bloomington, Indiana. The program was fairly cheap, the instructers were really nice, and it was a good experience.

Thanks for the input everyone; I definitely want to use it to work or volunteer and not simply to boost my app...in fact, my primary and probably most secondaries will be done before I can become certified since I'm applying this cycle.