Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

EMTs going to med school in LA

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Trekkie963, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Trekkie963

Trekkie963 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anyone have any advice for obtaining reciprocity in Los Angeles County? I am coming from Texas (state certification, not National Registry) and the LA Department of Health website isn't all that helpful. They say they grant reciprocity, but in various unnamed cases it requires various extra testing and classroom time. I am not even sure who to contact to get the process started, since there doesn't seem to be any sort of reciprocity request form or anything.

On a side note, does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not it is worth maintaining your EMT certification while going to med school?

Thanks for your help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. flighterdoc

flighterdoc Rocket Scientist
    7+ Year Member

Second answer first, probably not.

As far as the first question goes, you can always call the Kern County HD (in Bakersfield, 90 miles N of LA), they're a lot more helpful for LA EMT's, and will actually answer questions - check their website for phone numbers.

In Californa, an EMT licensed in any County has statewide state scope of practice privs, so it doesn't make much difference where you do it, especially if you're not going to be working as a medic.

4. Trekkie963

Trekkie963 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The California county-level certification is weird to me.

I guess I can also look into Riverside County, since that's where my family is. Chances are I won't be working as an EMT during med school, but it would be nice to have that option rather than letting my certification just lapse. I guess it all will come down to how much trouble reciprocity will be.