EMVS vs. Hackensack Meridian (full tuition scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

albear

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deciding between the two. I’m from CA and have family in Philly. Free tuition for four years at Hackensack. Hackensack is a very new school and I feel like I didn’t like the area as much as I did with EVMS. Cost of tuition at EVMS is around $56k for OOS. Hackensack has a 16 month core curriculum compared to 24 months at most other med schools, so the summer break would only be 2 weeks, not two months. I’m worried about the impact that will have on my mental health. Help!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd recommend adding a poll as not everyone wants to write something out.

Tough choice. It's hard to turn down that kind of money, but Hackensack has not even graduated a class. Did you ask EVMS what financial aid they can provide based on full tuition elsewhere?

Sorry... I am pretty useless in this case.

You're not going to have a summer break as a 3rd/4th year, as a resident, or as an attending. It's probably better to ease into it early.

Assuming you take out grad plus loans and pay a negligible amount during residency, your loans will hit $300K by the end of a three year residency. Paying $5000 per month once you become an attending, this will take you about 6.5 years to pay back. Compare that to just not having to pay anything, and getting to take full advantage of your attending salary as soon as you have it (or potentially one year sooner if you graduate from Hackensack in three years). It's up to you, but to me that sounds super not worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
You're not going to have a summer break as a 3rd/4th year, as a resident, or as an attending. It's probably better to ease into it early.

Assuming you take out grad plus loans and pay a negligible amount during residency, your loans will hit $300K by the end of a three year residency. Paying $5000 per month once you become an attending, this will take you about 6.5 years to pay back. Compare that to just not having to pay anything, and getting to take full advantage of your attending salary as soon as you have it (or potentially one year sooner if you graduate from Hackensack in three years). It's up to you, but to me that sounds super not worth it.
Thanks! Good point on the easing into it.

Reactions: 1 user