End-of-block National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skillfullhello

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
We have these at the end of each block. Where can i get practice questions that resemble these type of questions?

I am MS1 and we will be done soon with "fundamentals", i want to pass.

are they these

"Comprehensive Basic Science Self-Assessment (CBSSA)"

https://nsas.nbme.org/home

I am trying to purchase, but it just says
Comprehensive Basic Science w/ Expanded Feedback (Form 15)
Comprehensive Basic Science w/ Expanded Feedback (Form 13)

etc this form and that form. How do i know what form goes to what topics?

right now we are doing biochem and cell bio/genetics. What forms correspond to those topics?

thank all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Look up shelf threads and blog/amazon recommendations for each of the shelves. A good rule of thumb for a stellar score is one shelf review (Eg. BRS anatomy) + 2-3 question sources (eg. Pretest+Lange+Webpath) + 1 reference text (Eg. Moore).

To just pass, usually 1 review source (and possibly one question source) is usually enough if you're a decent test taker.

These a pre clinical shelfs

I don't know if that changes anything?

We are doing fundamentals so it's a bit of
Biochem
Cell bio
Genetics

What are good places to get practice questions for them?
What's pretest, Lange and web path?

Again I am a ms1 and this is not for rotations

Members don't see this ad :)
We have these at the end of each block. Where can i get practice questions that resemble these type of questions?

I am MS1 and we will be done soon with "fundamentals", i want to pass.

are they these

"Comprehensive Basic Science Self-Assessment (CBSSA)"

https://nsas.nbme.org/home

I am trying to purchase, but it just says
Comprehensive Basic Science w/ Expanded Feedback (Form 15)
Comprehensive Basic Science w/ Expanded Feedback (Form 13)

etc this form and that form. How do i know what form goes to what topics?

right now we are doing biochem and cell bio/genetics. What forms correspond to those topics?

thank all!
Those aren't subject separated. If you read the link, those are only to simulate Step 1.

hmm my school has EOB NBME exams as well. first aid has everything you need to know even for "fundamentals." the professors pick questions so they won't test you on things you guys haven't learned. at my school, people actually do better on NBME than their weekly/biweekly tests because the questions are written better (more objective, clinically relevant, none of the phD crap).

I don't think practice questions are that helpful, because they will tend to be integrated. since you are an MS1, you probably won't get the knowledge base to solve multidiscipline questions. the block directors CHOOSE the questions for you guys (well, that's the case at my school), so it may be a better use of time to review lecture stuff and look at first aid. my block directors manage to find questions that are nitty gritty and not even mentioned in first aid, so I would not neglect lecture notes completely.

if you are neurotic, you can purchase qbanks (kaplan, rx) that allow you to get questions for a specific subject like biochemistry. the CBSSA may be too comprehensive for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
hmm my school has EOB NBME exams as well. first aid has everything you need to know even for "fundamentals." the professors pick questions so they won't test you on things you guys haven't learned. at my school, people actually do better on NBME than their weekly/biweekly tests because the questions are written better (more objective, clinically relevant, none of the phD crap).

I don't think practice questions are that helpful, because the practice questions will tend to be more integrated. the block directors CHOOSE the questions for you guys, so it may be a better use of time to review lecture stuff and look at first aid.

Oh god its such a relief the block directors choose the questions,

thank you all for your help and support! So the questions on the NBME end of block exam are written by NBME right? Because we have a lot of this phd stuff and i just don't want to be caught off guard not knowing how to prepare for the NBME exams. I would had to fail the whole block bc i failed the EOB NBME exam ( we need to pass all these different criteria in order to pass the block as a whole, fail any then you fail the block)

Consensus is:
look at class lectures and know first aid?

, you can purchase qbanks (kaplan, rx) that allow you to get questions for a specific subject like biochemistry. the CBSSA may be too comprehensive for you.

wouldn't these be geared toward step 1 prep? Is that what i should be looking for to prepare for the EOB NBME exams?

Consensus is:

If you are not at my school then your school's set up is eerily similar to mine. Either way my school uses NBMEs as finals and the consensus among the class (and my personal opinion as an M2 who did pretty well on the NBME finals) is to know class lectures and board review resources of your choosing. IMO the bare minimum is first aid and pathoma.

thank you all for your help and support! So the questions on the NBME end of block exam are written by NBME right? Because we have a lot of this phd stuff and i just don't want to be caught off guard not knowing how to prepare for the NBME exams. I would had to fail the whole block bc i failed the EOB NBME exam ( we need to pass all these different criteria in order to pass the block as a whole, fail any then you fail the block)

Consensus is:
If it's an NBME exam then the questions are written by the NBME writers. Hence why people are recommending getting a good subject specific review book with a question book (Case Files/Pretest, etc.). Professor class powerpoints might not be as helpful.

wouldn't these be geared toward step 1 prep? Is that what i should be looking for to prepare for the EOB NBME exams?
Yes, NBME questions are geared toward the USMLE although not exact, are predictive.