End of combined Pulm/CCM on the horizon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jazz79

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking with my CCM attending and he said that the ABIM is considering ending the combined Pulm/CCM fellowship and making you either decided between the two or doing both. Rationale is that with the Pulm/CCM combo, you simply do not get enough hands on experience running ICU's compared to a pure CCM fellowship. Anyone else out there heard about this?

Members don't see this ad.

jazz79 said:
I was talking with my CCM attending and he said that the ABIM is considering ending the combined Pulm/CCM fellowship and making you either decided between the two or doing both. Rationale is that with the Pulm/CCM combo, you simply do not get enough hands on experience running ICU's compared to a pure CCM fellowship. Anyone else out there heard about this?
Yes, I heard the same from a fellow and an attending that they r going to separate these two since both specialties esp CCM have been grew significantly and u need at least 2 years to get enough experience in CCM.
On the other hand pulmono guys have sleep/interventional to combine with pulmonary.

Hmmm.... I'm a pulm/cc fellow, and I haven't heard about this at all. FYI, pulmonary and CCM are already separate. As pulm/cc fellows, we have to satisfy the rotation requirements for both specialties, and we take 2 different board exams -- pulmonary boards we can take after the 2nd year of fellowship, and the critical care boards can be done after 3 years of fellowship.

There is talk, however, of requiring a minimum of 24 months of clinical time for combined pulm/cc programs instead of the current required 18 months. Don't know when that will happen, though, or what the breakdown will be of required critical care vs pulmonary months.

AJM said:
Hmmm.... I'm a pulm/cc fellow, and I haven't heard about this at all. FYI, pulmonary and CCM are already separate. As pulm/cc fellows, we have to satisfy the rotation requirements for both specialties, and we take 2 different board exams -- pulmonary boards we can take after the 2nd year of fellowship, and the critical care boards can be done after 3 years of fellowship.

There is talk, however, of requiring a minimum of 24 months of clinical time for combined pulm/cc programs instead of the current required 18 months. Don't know when that will happen, though, or what the breakdown will be of required critical care vs pulmonary months.

Thank you for the input AJM.

jazz