End of freshman year stats...how do they look?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by drpduck, Jun 6, 2002.

1. drpduck

drpduck Senior Member

Dental Student
    I just finished up my freshman year..my GPA is 3.08 overall/science is about the same. I'm taking calc and chem 2 and chem 2 lab over the summer. I'm still interested in applying a year early to schools. I go to school in Baltimore, about 15 mins from UMaryland dental school(I'm also a MD resident). I plan on volunteering in the UMaryland hospital next year. I'm kinda scared about the whole early applying thing though....the assistant dean of admissions at UMaryland said they admit generally less then 5 students a year that apply without a degree. I talked to Su-Ann from Nova and she is mailing me some materials about early admissions. I really want to be a dentist, so I don't feel like hanging around college for any longer then I have to. Also, a concern of mine is when you apply early, do you get your B.S. degree at the end of the first year of dental school? Thanks for your help everyone :)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member

I suspect that you will want to be much closer to 4.0 on your sophomore and junior GPA's if you want to be a competitive candidate for dental school without a bachelors degree. Many dental schools give B.S. degrees to early entrants after successful completion of the first year of dental school.

4. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    I thoroughly agree with groundhog's advice. The vast majority of early applicants have stellar stats, along with extracurricular activites. If this is truly what you want to do, then go for it.

You said "I don't feel like hanging around college for any longer then I have to". Early applicants who are successful show schools that they don't need to hang around college any longer. It's one thing to feel something, and another to show those feelings to the admissions committee.

By the way, don't waiver if you don't get in through early admissions. Nearly all applicants have a BS/BA, so you'll be competing against them. Just work hard and you'll reap the benefits in due time.

-G

5. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor

Dentist
    drpduck,

That is a good thing that you are totally confident in going to dental school. But like the other posters stated you need to bring your gpa up quite conciderably at least to a 3.5 and do superb on your DAT's. Motivation is a big factor and you have that, but now you need to motivate yourself to get at least solid grades next year and the year after. Good luck.

DesiDentist

6. EVN3331

EVN3331 Member

My stats are 3.33 overall/3.4 science after freshman year....I really haven't done any volunteering or shadowing yet, but I think next semester I am going to. Did most of you guys shadow a dentist over the summer or during school and are most dentists willing to take part?

7. Pi_Guy1

Pi_Guy1 Member

Yeah, I shadowed a dentist for like a total of 20 hours. I pretty much just did it to put it on my application. But, I did work at UIC O.S. department for a year...so that helped. You definitely want to work in some sort of dental environment at some point. I would just ask your personal dentist and see if you could shadow him for a day or two/week during the summer. that should do...

8. Dr. Pedo

Dr. Pedo Senior Member

drpduck,

Unfortunately you have a lot of work ahead. The good thing is starting with a low gpa (3.00) will give you a chance to prove yourself the next 3 years. Not to insult your smarts, but you have to know that a 3.00 based on fresh. classes doesn't really set you apart from the avg. beer drinking college kid. What is even more scary is the fact you haven't even taken your tough prereqs yet! (organic I, organic II, physics II, etc...)

Like I said above----you have a wonderful opportunity next year to set yourself apart from the avg. That is what professional schools (med. or dental) are looking for in a candidate.

9. Dr. Pedo

Dr. Pedo Senior Member

drpduck,

Unfortunately you have a lot of work ahead. The good thing is starting with a low gpa (3.00) will give you a chance to prove yourself the next 3 years. Not to insult your smarts, but you have to know that a 3.00 based on fresh. classes doesn't really set you apart from the avg. beer drinking college kid. What is even more scary is the fact you haven't even taken your tough prereqs yet! (organic I, organic II, physics II, etc...)

Like I said above----you have a wonderful opportunity next year to set yourself apart from the avg. That is what professional schools (med. or dental) are looking for in a candidate.

10. Regina330

Regina330 Senior Member

Don't get discouraged! I had a 3.26 coming out of my freshamn year. For the rest of my undergrad, I never got less than a 3.9! I dramatically improved my GPA just by becoming a little bit more focused. You know what your goal is, now work toward it. And you feel as strongly about being a dentist as you say you say you are, apply to many schools in the first round, and if you don't get in, wait another year and your chances will be much greater. Good luck!