End of M1 burn out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fldoctorgirl

IM PGY-1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends!
I'm posting this for some motivation, not because I think there is some magical answer out there. We just got back from spring break this Monday and I already feel like I haven't had a break in months lol. It is getting really hard to force myself to study; I hate anatomy and I'm tired of taking practicals and answering obscure 3rd order questions about random embryology on exams. It seems like there just aren't enough hours in the day, and I end up caged inside a study room all day staring at 4 walls and it's starting to drive me crazy.

This is our last class before switching to our more path/pharm-focused curriculum, so I'm trying to use that to keep me motivated because I feel like I'll enjoy school a lot more once I get to that point, but I just feel like I'm hitting a wall. I just spent an hour browsing SDN because I literally couldn't make myself process my lectures anymore. I don't attend lecture, so I'm caught up with watching everything, but I find it really hard to push myself to keep going through material over and over. I should mention that the block we're on is neuro, which has been one of my least favorite subjects since high school anatomy. I loved learning our material in endo/repro, because I actually found it interesting-- but this material is more difficult, and I need to put in the work, but I just feel like I can't anymore.

Did any of you deal with this at the end of M1? I'm so close to the finish line (of this year, obviously), and yet I'm worried that I might not make it. I do realize that I should be so grateful for the opportunity to even be complaining about this, but that's something that's easier said than done. If you went through it, do you have any tips? I just feel like school has swallowed most of my life, and I'm really struggling to find the motivation to continue trudging through boring information.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Hi friends!
I'm posting this for some motivation, not because I think there is some magical answer out there. We just got back from spring break this Monday and I already feel like I haven't had a break in months lol. It is getting really hard to force myself to study; I hate anatomy and I'm tired of taking practicals and answering obscure 3rd order questions about random embryology on exams. It seems like there just aren't enough hours in the day, and I end up caged inside a study room all day staring at 4 walls and it's starting to drive me crazy.

This is our last class before switching to our more path/pharm-focused curriculum, so I'm trying to use that to keep me motivated because I feel like I'll enjoy school a lot more once I get to that point, but I just feel like I'm hitting a wall. I just spent an hour browsing SDN because I literally couldn't make myself process my lectures anymore. I don't attend lecture, so I'm caught up with watching everything, but I find it really hard to push myself to keep going through material over and over. I should mention that the block we're on is neuro, which has been one of my least favorite subjects since high school anatomy. I loved learning our material in endo/repro, because I actually found it interesting-- but this material is more difficult, and I need to put in the work, but I just feel like I can't anymore.

Did any of you deal with this at the end of M1? I'm so close to the finish line (of this year, obviously), and yet I'm worried that I might not make it. I do realize that I should be so grateful for the opportunity to even be complaining about this, but that's something that's easier said than done. If you went through it, do you have any tips? I just feel like school has swallowed most of my life, and I'm really struggling to find the motivation to continue trudging through boring information.

Sorry to hear you are getting burned out. I was at the same position at M1 TBH.

If you can, try not to push yourself to hard. As scary as it is, you should give yourself more time for yourself. I like calling this "study hygiene". Make a deal with yourself that you will study hard for 1 hour and then take 15-20 minutes to do whatever. Stop your studying at a decent time at night. It motivates you to be more efficient with the time you have.

Hopefully, this will help a bit. Feel free to PM me for more questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Unless you are one of those who NEEDS to get all A's (who doesn't but you know what I mean), it might serve you better to take it easier.
From what I've been told by others, your class GPA doesn't matter a whole much.
What I am trying to say is, instead of wasting time looking at walls while trying to study for 10 hours to get that A, study for 8 hours and use the 2 hours to help you get through medical school. Does that make sense?
Yea you might not be 1st in class or what not but if you can do well enough academically, mentally, and social by taking that B and allocating that 2 hours to something "fun," it might be worth it in the long run.
Better to take it easier and get Bs than burn yourself out.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying you shouldn't study or learn.
Of course it'll be best if you can study 5 hours and get all As and do super well on Step but that's not the case for every one.
We need to pick our battles.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Another vote for @AlteredScale’s study hygiene method. 1 hour per topic in two hour chunks with 10 minute breaks in between was my system throughout MS1 and MS2. I was not the strongest pre-clinical student in the world, but it got me where I needed to be and more importantly helped me not go crazy.

Also, think about changing up your study locations. You mentioned the same four walls and maybe that’s figuratively, but sometimes just a change of scenery can invigorate you for a few hours. If you’re normally a library person, try a study room. If you normally study at home, try a coffee shop (or vice versa). If the weather tolerates I’m a big fan of studying outside; somewhere out there there’s a table with a power outlet and WiFi, or if you need to cut yourself off from internet, a table WITHOUT power or WiFi.

MS1 spring burnout is super common, you’re not alone, hang in there.

I identify with literally everything in your post right now. This block is horrible and I can barely stand to study it for more than an hour before my mind starts wandering.

Reactions: 1 users
M1 spring semester was my most burnt out. Honestly I just pushed myself through it and then re-evaluated my priorities over that summer. I was burning my candle on both ends during first year.

Any tips for people who study like 10 hours a day and still average? What are some ways to studying smart instead of studying hard? I’m ok with the grades, just wanna have more time to wind down.

I feel you OP. @JustPass, you articulated it really well: We need to pick our battles. That’s something I wish I was aware of and practiced earlier in the schoolyear.

One thing I find super helpful is an intentional “stuff that’s not school” day. 24 hours just dedicated to rest and recoup. It sounds counterintuitive, but the benefits are real. Whatever it is that makes you happy (other than sketchy binge-watching)...do those things in that time. Coming out of that there’s an incredible second wind effect and motivation to get back to business. The brain defragments things somehow and certain things just click. It’s freaky. I’m rooting for you, you got this! :clap:

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts. As always, it helps to hear words of encouragement.

Sorry to hear you are getting burned out. I was at the same position at M1 TBH.

If you can, try not to push yourself to hard. As scary as it is, you should give yourself more time for yourself. I like calling this "study hygiene". Make a deal with yourself that you will study hard for 1 hour and then take 15-20 minutes to do whatever. Stop your studying at a decent time at night. It motivates you to be more efficient with the time you have.

Hopefully, this will help a bit. Feel free to PM me for more questions.
This sounds like a good plan that I can try. Thank you!

Unless you are one of those who NEEDS to get all A's (who doesn't but you know what I mean), it might serve you better to take it easier.
What I am trying to say is, instead of wasting time looking at walls while trying to study for 10 hours to get that A, study for 8 hours and use the 2 hours to help you get through medical school. Does that make sense?
Yea you might not be 1st in class or what not but if you can do well enough academically, mentally, and social by taking that B and allocating that 2 hours to something "fun," it might be worth it in the long run.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying you shouldn't study or learn.
Of course it'll be best if you can study 5 hours and get all As and do super well on Step but that's not the case for every one.
I am definitely not one of those who needs to get all A's. After a couple of weeks in med school I basically made the decision that I would rather keep my personal life happy and my relationships going than ignore everything and get A's. My problem is more that I'm worried about passing-- the averages were really low on our first exam & practical, so I'm okay, but I'm just concerned as things go on that I won't be able to do well. I just really hate this subject, and where everyone else seems to get a boost from the anatomy practicals, they always bring me down. I'm just not a visual person.

Reactions: 1 user
Just use your timers, take breaks, force yourself to start. You can also use leechblocker on your browser if you find that certain websites *cough* youtube *cough* distract you alot. Anki is one of the biggest helpers to me, but if you have to make all the cards yourself, you will probably suffer. I also recommend rotating between time-based and goal-based studying. Sometimes doing 25 minutes on 5 minutes off can end up getting you out of the flow to fast. In those cases, I recommend setting a specific goal (i.e. reading thru and quizing yourself on 3 powerpoints) rather than time based.

Its a grind, just got to push through it sometimes.

Just use your timers, take breaks, force yourself to start. You can also use leechblocker on your browser if you find that certain websites *cough* youtube *cough* distract you alot. Anki is one of the biggest helpers to me, but if you have to make all the cards yourself, you will probably suffer. I also recommend rotating between time-based and goal-based studying. Sometimes doing 25 minutes on 5 minutes off can end up getting you out of the flow to fast. In those cases, I recommend setting a specific goal (i.e. reading thru and quizing yourself on 3 powerpoints) rather than time based.

I normally do use Zanki for the corresponding system that we're in, but this block there has just been no time. They condensed this block for us, taking away like 2 weeks because they made our summer longer than it was for the M1s last year. I'm still keeping up with my Zanki reviews, but I've had absolutely no time to go through the neuro cards. The day back from spring break, we had 8 hours of lecture; our schedule has been jam-packed, and it's been rough.

The problem is not so much that I'm getting distracted by certain websites, just that I'm so sick of studying this material that I physically feel like I can't anymore, and then I go do something else instead.

Yep! I am absolutely feeling the burnout. Everything for us comes so fast and furious and in such large quantities at times—there’s so much to do you don’t want to do anything! But I do agree regarding study breaks, I have been trying to be more diligent about them and it really does help.

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts. As always, it helps to hear words of encouragement.

This sounds like a good plan that I can try. Thank you!

I am definitely not one of those who needs to get all A's. After a couple of weeks in med school I basically made the decision that I would rather keep my personal life happy and my relationships going than ignore everything and get A's. My problem is more that I'm worried about passing-- the averages were really low on our first exam & practical, so I'm okay, but I'm just concerned as things go on that I won't be able to do well. I just really hate this subject, and where everyone else seems to get a boost from the anatomy practicals, they always bring me down. I'm just not a visual person.

That just means you are weak in anatomy. So what?
Unless you are going to be a surgeon or radiologist, anatomy doesn't really help (I mean it does but not to the extent that you might imagine. I don't believe there is a single question in Step or other tests that test your anatomy).
Get through it. Push through it. If you are struggling, struggle more and get through it. Just pass it.
Don't let anatomy be the wall that cause you to stop pursuing being a doctor.
You have to put time in for anatomy. I know you are but utilize other studying resources.
I studied in the lab, used photo books, used anatomy drawing books, used anatomy apps on tablet. Do whatever it takes to just get through it.
It's only a few more months then you'll never have another anatomy practical in your life (pending which specialty you go into but I figured you won't be doing autopsy or reading CT/MRI films).

And guess what?
Once you get over this bump, there will be new bumps down the road.
When you get to those bumps, get through it.
I know this sounds lame and useless but it'll be all worth it.

And if you can't get over those bumps, time for a career change. Better to change now than after more debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi friends!

Hit the gym and MAKE time to have for yourself, even if if only for short periods of time.

Learn mindfulness techniques.

Reactions: 6 users
Neuro is the class that broke me too. After our second neuro exam I stopped caring about a lot of stuff that I should care about. It was literally like someone turned a switch off after our exam. Neuro will take you down if you don't take care of yourself, & you need to be mentally healthy when MOD starts.

That extra point or two you get on the exam may seem important now, but in the long run nobody will care that you got an 88 vs. a 90 in MS-1.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi friends!

Im in the same boat-Were in this together! another month or 2 and well be done with first year. I try to workout and study or study with friends by talking stuff out I also try and change my study spot like changing starbucks or going to panera instead of starbucks or a different room at school than I normally do. Ive recently been putting lectures on double while on the stairmaster I absorb material while exercising and it makes it all less miserable since ur releasing endorphins and BDNF lol. I try different music too sometimes you have to switch it all up to get through it.

Hit the gym and MAKE time to have for yourself, even if if only for short periods of time.

Learn mindfulness techniques.
Staying in the gym is huggee @Goro Really like this piece of advice. it kept me sane through the long stretches during the fall and winter!

This is an incredible piece of advice OP-using timers! I only study using timers. I do 50 mins on 10-15 mins break rinse and repeat. it is VERY helpful and helps you retain more and helps you avoid burnouts.

Reactions: 2 users
Any tips for people who study like 10 hours a day and still average? What are some ways to studying smart instead of studying hard? I’m ok with the grades, just wanna have more time to wind down.
Use timers. 50 mins study 10 mins break of walking around or calling or talking to a friend. During 50 mins study period phone and all social media is off!

Hey OP, definitely understand where you're coming from. I'm a former med school student and I was in the exact same boat as yours multiple times throughout med school but especially 1st year because I had to repeat it. I sturggled a lot with med school and made it all the way to the end of 3rd year, but after going through clincals and not getting the reward and satisfaction from the job I expected, I made the decision to get out and pursue another career. About a year out from making that decision now, I don't regret leaving med school, I wish I got out earlier. I was very miserable in school and I felt third year didn't change anything for me and residency/practice wouldn't either.

I work in HR for the military now, and although its not as glamorous as med school, its a lot more rewarding and enjoyable for me. I bring this up because if I could do it all over again, I would have gotten out after first year knowing now it wasn't a natural subject for me and the type of people interaction involved with being a doctor was just not fufilling for me. Plus I would have more of a head start in my new career if I had entered it at a younger age.

Unfortunately its a decision you have to make for yourself and its hard to see if the grass is actually greener on the other side, but at least for me it was totally worth it to quit pursuing to be a physician.

Hi friends!

Hey OP, definitely understand where you're coming from. I'm a former med school student and I was in the exact same boat as yours multiple times throughout med school but especially 1st year because I had to repeat it. I sturggled a lot with med school and made it all the way to the end of 3rd year, but after going through clincals and not getting the reward and satisfaction from the job I expected, I made the decision to get out and pursue another career. About a year out from making that decision now, I don't regret leaving med school, I wish I got out earlier. I was very miserable in school and I felt third year didn't change anything for me and residency/practice wouldn't either.

I work in HR for the military now, and although its not as glamorous as med school, its a lot more rewarding and enjoyable for me. I bring this up because if I could do it all over again, I would have gotten out after first year knowing now it wasn't a natural subject for me and the type of people interaction involved with being a doctor was just not fufilling for me. Plus I would have more of a head start in my new career if I had entered it at a younger age.

Unfortunately its a decision you have to make for yourself and its hard to see if the grass is actually greener on the other side, but at least for me it was totally worth it to quit pursuing to be a physician.

You are suggesting she quit med school because she’s burnt out after first year when most people are? First year is rough and the adjustment alone burns a lot of students out. None of @fldoctorgirl other posts hint that she should think about quitting. It’s one thread asking to survive the final weeks of 1st year.

Last edited:
I think that is just how first year is for most people. Neuro was awful for me, and I had to kick it into high gear for the last exam so i didn’t fail the entire course.

Of course, I am on my surgery rotation now and I’m just done mentally. Same thing after step 1. You’ll get there. Frequent breaks and doing thing for yourself are really important.

You are suggesting she quit med school because she’s burnt out after first year when most people are? First year is rough and the adjustment alone burns a lot of students out. None of @fldoctorgirl other posts hint that she should think about quitting. It’s one thread asking to survive the final weeks of 1st year.
Yeah, definitely not thinking of quitting lol. I'm very happy to be here and can't imagine myself doing anything else. Just burnt out in a difficult course that happens to unfortunately be on subject matter that I don't like. Not trying to get an A, just trying to pass.

Thank you everyone for your support and sharing that many of you also struggled at this point of first year. I am doing my best to keep myself motivated, because in 2 weeks I will never have to set foot in the anatomy lab again.

I have been trying to implement the study advice shared here: I studied outdoors yesterday, which was a nice change of scenery and made me feel really good. I've also been taking more breaks! Thanks again :)

AAAC (grades for anatomy first year). Not bragging because I got a C in block 4, which is neuro. Hated neuro and because I was trying to study for neuro, it effected other parts of studying, including anatomy, which was my strong point up to block 4.
You are not alone.

That just means you are weak in anatomy. So what?
Unless you are going to be a surgeon or radiologist, anatomy doesn't really help (I mean it does but not to the extent that you might imagine. I don't believe there is a single question in Step or other tests that test your anatomy).
Get through it. Push through it. If you are struggling, struggle more and get through it. Just pass it.
Don't let anatomy be the wall that cause you to stop pursuing being a doctor.
You have to put time in for anatomy. I know you are but utilize other studying resources.
I studied in the lab, used photo books, used anatomy drawing books, used anatomy apps on tablet. Do whatever it takes to just get through it.
It's only a few more months then you'll never have another anatomy practical in your life (pending which specialty you go into but I figured you won't be doing autopsy or reading CT/MRI films).

And guess what?
Once you get over this bump, there will be new bumps down the road.
When you get to those bumps, get through it.
I know this sounds lame and useless but it'll be all worth it.

And if you can't get over those bumps, time for a career change. Better to change now than after more debt.

There are definitely Level one questions that require knowledge of and test anatomy and anatomic principles.

OP, I am with you 100%. This block has been tearing me down as well. I just keep telling myself it will get better. Not much, I know. But it is one block out of the many we have. I do not know if it will help you, but I talked with a few classmates, and we have been trying to give each other pep talks. Really just having classmates to support you and support each other helps. We are all going through it together and not letting each other lose track of the ultimate goal. It is painful now but it will get tons better. I firmly believe that. At least I have to keep telling myself that to get through the block. Try to take a break for you. Watch your favorite show. Take a bubble bath. I am not much of a gym person (I probably should be better about exercise) and I have not had as much time to cook like I want to but I have been putting in little things to break up the studying. I believe it is harder to retain much if you run yourself to the ground. It is a lot and you may never feel caught up (me either), but take care of you. Just pass. Then MOD will be here before we know it.

Do a hard analysis on your study days. Are you studying through the entire time? Or are you on your phone or on facebook on your laptop?

Are you reading things passively and having to read things over and over again to memorize it? If so, try to be more active in your reading and either written or verbally, start creating concept maps of what you need to retain. These are just methods to be more efficient with your time to study so that you can be don early.

--

Also I am very familiar with the MOD course if we are talking about the same place. Best of luck to all of you. Dr. D and Dr. S have high expectations but will really help you in the long run with your test taking strategies and reading capabilities if you listen to them.

There are definitely Level one questions that require knowledge of and test anatomy and anatomic principles.

I'm talking about "what is this nerve that you see in the picture?" or "where is flexor carpi radialis in relation to radial nerve?"
I'm sure you require anatomy knowledge and principles but not like how you are tested on anatomy practicals and school specific anatomy exams.

Thank you everyone for your support and sharing that many of you also struggled at this point of first year. I am doing my best to keep myself motivated, because in 2 weeks I will never have to set foot in the anatomy lab again.

I have been trying to implement the study advice shared here: I studied outdoors yesterday, which was a nice change of scenery and made me feel really good. I've also been taking more breaks! Thanks again :)
Glad to hear the changes are helping you a bit :). I know everyone here says "we've been in your shoes" but every experience and response to these hurdles are different for everyone. Best of luck to you.

Also I am very familiar with the MOD course if we are talking about the same place. Best of luck to all of you. Dr. D and Dr. S have high expectations but will really help you in the long run with your test taking strategies and reading capabilities if you listen to them.
Yes, we are talking about the same place :)

I can’t wait for MOD— no more lab, no more anatomy, much more freedom in our schedule.

This x1000000000.

If everybody in med school just took a chill pill every once in a while, the stress level would drop. Instead you got person A studying 15 hrs a day and getting pissed because they got a 91 and not a 95 which then stresses out person B who feels like they're not doing enough which then stresses out person C.

I am terribly sorry to say, but second year was, albeit much more interesting, significantly more time consuming. And I’m not someone who crushed school and every exam was “easy” (you know those people in your class).
It’s not time consuming that I have a problem with. I’ll just be glad when I can control my studying and my time more efficiently instead of spending like 4 hours back to back in labs several times a week lol. But I guess we’ll find out in the coming months!

I am terribly sorry to say, but second year was, albeit much more interesting, significantly more time consuming. And I’m not someone who crushed school and every exam was “easy” (you know those people in your class).

I'm hoping you only say that because you did not have to do the further-condensed year one that we're doing. Then again, maybe I'm just naive to the realities of what next year will be like. I do not know how some of these blocks could be more time-consuming when we have lectures all morning and then labs all afternoon. The only thing left for them to do at this point is to start lecturing in the evening lol. Whatever the case may be, I agree with fldoctorgirl, it's less about the amount of material and more about the sheer number of labs and required attendances we've had this semester on top of a condensed curriculum.

Hi friends!

Welcome to a cycle that you will repeat basically every year except fourth year until you are done with residency

I'm also on the "first year was worst year" bandwagon, but that is largely due to the way they structured first year vs second year. Second year had all-inclusive systems-based exams and three blocks per semester, first year was subject-based a block every six weeks and split exams in which a failure in any one exam would get you thrown out of school should you fail to remediate. Much less room for error led to a need for over studying, while the relatively lax systems-based approach of second year left ample time to study for boards etc

And you guys don’t have the same material as we did in a shorter time frame, they simply removed crap. So it’s not actually condensed, it’s just shortened

Do you actually know that for certain, or is that a rumor? I only ask because we've had a number of lectures upperclassmen never had, so it's apparent KCU changes the curriculum between years and doesn't necessarily just remove info.

Hey girl, I am the same school and yeah this is hell. I've never been this beat down before. Anatomy written questions are the worst for me I have a really hard time visualizing them in a 3D arrangement. Just one week left and we will be done with it for good. You are notalone and you can do this.

At least they moved that CPA lol

Hi friends!

A meme from reddit that accurately describes my current feelings
85C968DE-320E-4F0D-A7FD-1B46DD70E4CD.jpeg

A meme from reddit that accurately describes my current feelings
View attachment 255608
Super relatable lol

Overall, I'm hanging in there guys! Feeling much better this week as I did better than expected on my second exam and I'm not really worried about not passing at this point, which for me is enough :)

Right there with you. Required attendance and no spring break has me just ready to lay in bed for months at this point, haha.

I had the same outlook as you.

I was able to make 3-4 passes of the material first yr, easily. Sometimes 5. I never made more than 2 for any path exam.

And you guys don’t have the same material as we did in a shorter time frame, they simply removed crap. So it’s not actually condensed, it’s just shortened
This is 100% not true. I’m a second year and was in SGA first year and sat in the curriculum meeting with faculty about this. They were very explicit about the difficulty of shortening courses but delivering the exact same amount of material.

delivering the exact same amount of material.
Yeah, this is the consensus I've gotten from most of the second years. I've been straight up told by multiple second years that we are being screwed this year, and if anything I've been told that our neuro structure list is more detailed than it was for them. Definitely at least the same in less time, if not slightly more.

Yeah, this is the consensus I've gotten from most of the second years. I've been straight up told by multiple second years that we are being screwed this year, and if anything I've been told that our neuro structure list is more detailed than it was for them. Definitely at least the same in less time, if not slightly more.
Yeah Neuro is definitely harder for you guys. That said your summer is double the length of ours. My class would gladly have taken a harder Neuro for an extra month summer break. Just one of the trade offs.

Yeah Neuro is definitely harder for you guys. That said your summer is double the length of ours. My class would gladly have taken a harder Neuro for an extra month summer break. Just one of the trade offs.
With you for sure. I've heard some classmates say "oh I'd rather have more time to learn this info and have a shorter summer" but I'd definitely rather have the longer summer. The averages reflect the time constraints we've had so it should all balance out in the end.