End of my 2nd year of undergrad but have a 2.58 gpa... Is it too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amdo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first time posting a tread on the forum. First off, im a profound hearing impaired student. I'm currently working on my Community Health major at FGCU and will be taking courses in American Sign Language and some communication & science disorders as electives next semester and on. I'm at the end of my sophomore year and my GPA is at 2.58. I'm wondering if I get things together during my final two years ill be able to have a chance for an Au.D program. USF and Nova both want a minimal gpa around 3.2. I have a lot of shadowing and experiences from a few audiologists. It's just that the 2.58 gpa bothers me.

The reason why I want to aim for the Au.D program is because that I can relate to many patients and understand how they feel so I know what would be a perfect solution for their needs. Because I would know what it sounds like with a hearing aid at different situations. I believe that I would be successful and go for my passion to help.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a chance as long as you get it up to 3.0 which isn't impossible and attain 300-400 hours of volunteer service.

Last edited:
thanks! I just hope that its possible to take it up to 3.0 with the remaining 60 credits of my undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks! I just hope that its possible to take it up to 3.0 with the remaining 60 credits of my undergrad.

It's possible. I was in your position during my undergrad (around the same GPA) If you're willing to work hard and get all As i'm sure you'll be able to get it over a 3.0. What i did was calculate the number of classes i had to take and what grades i'd have to get to get it up to a 3.0. I do not recall my grades, but i know majority were all As and maybe just 2 Bs (after realizing i need to boost my gpa asap!). Also, i took a few extra classes just so i could get an easy A in so it could give my GPA a little boost.

As for volunteer hours, I don't think it's necessary to have 300-400 hours. I had about 200 hrs shadowing an audiologist. i would try to have at least one year of volunteering experience. Good luck.

I would keep in mind though to not assume that's it's easy to get into USF or Nova because they want a minimal gpa of a 3.2. I know several applicants this year that were wait listed/eventually rejected from USF with high GPAs (3.7) and tons of experience/shadowing. I know it gets harder and harder each year to get in, but I assume you'll have an awesome personal statement about why you want to be in this field. As long as you get high grades these next few semesters, you can definitely get your GPA up. Most of the universities are really more concerned about the last 2 years. I agree with the poster above- you don't necessarily need 300-400 hours of volunteer service (obviously it wouldn't harm you though). I only had near 100 hours of shadowing. If you could try to do research/work with a professor that'd be a bonus as well. PS. Fellow Floridian over here =) Good Luck!!

I agree that the focus should not be solely on GPA. My undergraduate degrees are non CSD related so the experiences I had as an undergraduate were very different. I did not have any observation hours with audiologists but i worked as a therapist helping stroke, TBI patients and children with autism. Despite this, i made sure to show my interest in the field by doing independent research, and CSD related electives.