1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

End of My Freshmen Year

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by fly1346, May 17, 2007.

1. fly1346

7+ Year Member

the chance I can

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bbabul01

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    1) Relax.
    2) You're only a freshmen and you have many more years to figure out if this is the right path for you.
    3) You're only a freshmen so you have plenty more chances to screw up or improve things.
    4) School's over, it's the summer, enjoy it. Hang out of the beach, step it up a few notches next year.
    5) You'll go to med school if you want to go to med school.
    6) Relax. Seriously.

4. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Take fewer credits in the fall. Do better in those classes. You're not screwed by any means, but you need to change what you're doing so that you don't get screwed.

5. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Figure out, before fall, what is wrong with your study strategy. Ask your professors questions, utilize their office hours, get a tutor, or whatever it takes. Get As from now on, even if it means taking the lightest course load. Have less fun. Get serious if you want to go to med school. You still have time to redeem your GPA. I'm surprised they will hire you to be a Chem TA with a B grade. Do you really think you have the time to devote to a job and still study as much as you need to?

6. fly1346

7+ Year Member

I had a B+, I did hire tutors also, and the sad part is both times.... Ive been .03 and .06 points away from an A- in chemistry. Thats why Im soo depressed rite now

7. old_boy

old_boy Contrarian
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Your bio and chem grades aren't bad (not great, but not bad). Your grades aren't so bad that they'll put you out of the running for med school. That is good news!! Don't be too bummed. It accomplishes nothing. Take a critical look at your study habits and class selection now, perhaps with the help of an advisor. The key to getting decent grades (A-s and B+s) in college is consistency, not brilliance. In classes where you've done poorly, look at why you didn't do as well as you hoped? Did you slack-off for one test that set you back? Did you do all of the homework? Did you skip class or not get enough sleep? Did you just plain not study enough? Work smart and work hard and your grades will improve.

8. Divine Furor

Divine Furor Academician
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Seriously, relax. You are SO far away from your future...please, from this non-trad direct to you, take time to NOTICE YOUR LIFE AND ENJOY IT. There must be something direct you can address in your study habits, your extracurricular "activities"--legitimate or otherwise, heck, it may even be your choice of undergrad. Are you happy in school? Are you aware that you don't need to take every prereq in one year? It's terrific that at, what, 17-18 you have your eyes on the prize, but there's a lot of growing/learning/self-stuff to be done to prepare for medical school....grades are not the be-all and end-all.

9. tredici

tredici Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That's definitely manageable. At the end of my first year I had a 2.8 or so but I've brought it up to almost a 3.6 by graduation so I think you'll survive.

10. bigDee

bigDee Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My friend was just telling me yesterday that since I'm in cc I need a 4.0 and that I might not be able to get into med school with a 3.2 here for first year. I was telling him that it depends on the teacher and the classes could be just as hard. He was like "blah blah doesn't matter CC is for continuing education you should have a 4.0."

I'm in CC and I know I have a chance of getting into med school so of course you do.

11. On3H34rT

On3H34rT Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You have to chill out. Find something you love doing such as a hobby and enjoy it. From my experience, worrying and stressing only makes matters worse. I just finished my freshmen year as well, and I must say it feels good to relax this summer. The past is the past. You can only look forward to the future. Do better next semester.