End of semester burnout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fleur de Me

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Only a week left, four exams, and my brain is totally over it!! I'm having such a hard time pushing through this last bit!!

I've had things under control throughout most of the semester, kept a good balance in my life and still did really well in my classes, but I'm seriously feeling like I've hit a wall.

Just one week...I really hope I can get through these exams. Motivation has taken a back seat to pure mental exhaustion. Anyone else? Ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Only a week left, four exams, and my brain is totally over it!! I'm having such a hard time pushing through this last bit!!

I've had things under control throughout most of the semester, kept a good balance in my life and still did really well in my classes, but I'm seriously feeling like I've hit a wall.

Just one week...I really hope I can get through these exams. Motivation has taken a back seat to pure mental exhaustion. Anyone else? Ideas?

a heavy workout at the gym and a good night's sleep? it always does the trick for me

get used to it

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, im in the same boat.. exam on thursday and im just wiped out!! its so hard to even care right now...

The worst that could happen is that you end up practicing family med in a rural area. You might get to take up farming on the side. Or trail running. Or amateur archaeology. Honestly, it doesn't sound too bad.

I feel the same way. My finals are this week and I have no motivation to study. I've had a heavy load this semester (22credits) and I have been diligent about studying, but now it;s so difficult. I really want to just seat down and focus and get stuff done, but that's easier said than done. I am tired mentally and physically, really hope I can make it through to the end of this week,

I feel you bro. Right now I am so sick of memorizing metabolic pathways. They feel like the most worthless #%@& I could be wasting my time on.

OP, im in the same boat.. exam on thursday and im just wiped out!! its so hard to even care right now...
Thursday? Are you complaining that you have that long to study for it?

Just wait until 2nd year.. I imagine that it reaches it's peak about 2 weeks before step 1.

I promise you, medical students everywhere are feeling it. Find what works for you, and do the crap out of it.

Usuaully I waste an hour or 2 on the internet watching stupid videos, check my fantasy football team, watch some spongebob, whatever.

I've got to find a way to get through Thursday, and I'm all out of give-a-darn. We'll all get through this, though.

It is a natural thing. Nearly every med student I know has several walls they hit. During MS1 it always seemed to be because the material was kind of boring and you weren't acclimated to going that hard yet. By MS2, it seems to happen to everyone near the end of every exam block and then one or two major down periods where you just want to throw something and scream, "I'm gonna burn this motha down!" as you run out.

Friends can help. Everyone is pretty good at pulling others through at my school. Sometimes I take a sanity day off where I just try to feel human again, even if I know it'll put me a bit behind. Extra long workout, watch some Dr. Who, get a haircut, maybe buy something to perk me up...the usual kind of junk.

You will have this feeling many times.

One of my classmates told me that knowing the break was coming really helped his motivation. I feel exactly the opposite. I just want to sleep for days, starting now. I don't care about the holiday break, and I definitely don't care about biochem. :hungover:

I like MossPoh's perspective, though! Sounds like angrier burnouts come next year.

Thursday? Are you complaining that you have that long to study for it?

its our cardio block - path,pathphys, and pharm, and histo - and they really piled a lot of info on us in 2 weeks...

its our cardio block - path,pathphys, and pharm, and histo - and they really piled a lot of info on us in 2 weeks...

I've definitely noticed a certain acceleration of the presentation of new material as exams near. A more even distribution, or even front loading, would be more convenient, but I don't run the show.

I've definitely noticed a certain acceleration of the presentation of new material as exams near. A more even distribution, or even front loading, would be more convenient, but I don't run the show.

+1

The week before biochem exams, we often had 8-10 lectures. On a normal week we have 4-6. That was always convenient.:mad:

+1

The week before biochem exams, we often had 8-10 lectures. On a normal week we have 4-6. That was always convenient.:mad:

Talk about it. We have 6-7 lectures up until Wednesday, and our exam in on Friday. In addition to lectures, we also have 4 problem-solving sessions. A couple weeks ago, we had 22 lectures in a week. o_O Biochem...ugh.

heh..
thankfully passing went down to 65 from 70% for cardio.. we'll see how the exam goes..