pesanserinus

5+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone!

I am a premed senior attending a reputable undergrad with a cGPA of 3.25 and sGPA of 3.00 (steady improvement in grades. i did not realize the sheer statement of numbers until last year). For the MCAT, I got a 32 (11/11/10) the first time around and a 29 (9/10/10) the second time due to nerves/taking it so soon after- I took it in May the first time, studied the whole summer and retook in August. My ECs are as follows:
- e-board and finally vice president of largest cultural club on campus
- hospital internship program in HS with extensive shadowing and a summer and semester of hospital volunteer experience in college
- research job my sophomore year, came back this yr to pursue research at same lab for credit
- freshman resource advisor
- tutoring
- community service trips during my last two spring breaks- one of which was to New Orleans where I also got to shadow physicians

I applied broadly to 14 schools this past application cycle and have received 6 rejections and 0 acceptances and after coping with that, I am now looking forward to a) decide on what to do and b) figure out what I can do differently the next time around.

(a) after reading advice on this website and speaking to my premed advisor, i have not been able to decide whether i should attend a graduate program or pursue an SMP.
pros of grad pgm
- easier to get high grades
- cheaper tuition
pros of SMP
- best way to prove that i am med school material particularly since my sGPA is low

- i am leaning towards pursuing an SMP because it will be more similar to "med school material" and more enticing for me but am afraid of the rumored competition at these programs. It's not that i can't take the competition it's just that after going through the rejections this year there was a time when i seriously considered giving up medicine. i wondered why i was acting in such a masochistic manner pursuing a path that put me through so much agony to become a doctor. my vision of my future is not of a cushy lifestyle either. perhaps the sample of doctors i have come across is not representative of all doctors, but of the ones that i have met i have been told a) if i am not doing it for money, i should quit and if he could do it all over again, he would not have chosen medicine. perhaps my fellow ex-premed friend said it best when i asked him why he was giving up being premed (particularly when he did better than me in all our premed classes) he said to me: "why work hard so just you can work even harder in the future? it never ends." but then i cracked open my gross atlas and watched an episode of boston med and i was back to being my premed self again. :laugh: so i suppose i am not too concerned about that.

b) what to do differently next time around
- i will most definitely submit my AMCAS the day it opens next time around (i submitted late july and had all my secondaries in 1st week of sept this time around)
- i called the schools that i received rejections from and asked if they could tell me any specific ways i could improve my application and was quoted things from their websites-aka completely not helpful.
- i will retake the MCAT

i would really really appreciate it if anyone could provide any insight on my situation, an assessment of the weak parts of my application, suggestions on what i could do next and perhaps an anecdote if you went through the same thing yourself. im not trying to sound cocky by saying my endgoal is MD but i have realized how important this is to me and i am ready to make it happen.

thank you!

OP
P

pesanserinus

5+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Why did you retake a balanced 32?
i mistakenly thought i could do better :( although i ended up doing worse the second time around, i cannot say for certain that i would not have made the same decision again if given the chance. my GPA was low/borderline so a much higher MCAT in the 35-36 range i believed would significantly help me