Endo Qusetion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Rosenrose

HELP
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I take synthroid for hypothyroidism, I also take ritalin, My question is will the ritalin speed up the metabolism of the synthroid. I lately have felt tired and it is getting hard to concentrate, symptoms I had that led to the hypo dx. Since then I have had my TSH checked a couple of times but always in the morning right after (hour or so) i take the synthroid. My TSH is normal at that time but this early in the day and I usually haven't taken ritalin at all yet that day. I'm wondering if the TSH is accurate at this time or should I take it in the morning go to school like normal (ritalin) and have it checked in the afternoon to see if there is an affect on TSH level?

Members don't see this ad.

According to med check on Epocrates there is no interaction between ritalin and levothyroxin. Unfortunately I do not have Micromedex access at home. The half life on thyroid hormone in the blood is several days. Much of your T4 is actually bound to thyroid horemone binding globulin. Think of it as natures sustained release formula. So taking your syntroid before your TSH draw should not effect the results of the TSH level. Also synthroid is a hormone that, to my knowledge, does not have any appreciable first pass metabolism, and the point is to maintain a physiologic level of the hormone in your blood. This is my long winded statement of saying no your synthroid should not effect your ritalin.

General fatigue could be caused by many things like not sleeping enough, stress, depression, another illness.

I hope this helps.