Endo residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dent'16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a 3rd year dental student looking to apply to endo. Just wondering what your thoughts were on class rank and how much they look at that when choosing an applicant. I have a highly competitive class (top quarter have 3.8+). I am right in the middle of the pack with about a 3.4. Obviously I can't change my gpa or class rank a whole lot at this point since most of the graded classes are over. I have been highly active at my school doing research since undergrad at the college and have served as a class officer and on many liaison committees. Endodontics really excites me like no other dental specialty does and I would love to get into a program right out of school.

Anyone been in the same situation or know how the admissions committees usually chose applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I had better news, but it's really tough to get into an endo residency right out of school unless your class rank is great. The good news is that you can make up for a mediocre class rank by doing an AEGD/GPR and working for a couple of years. If I were you I would apply every year to show interest and stay in touch with program directors as best you can. The easiest way to get into a residency if you aren't a highly competitive applicant is to know someone. G'luck!

I agree, I think you'll have a tough time getting in straight out with that GPA. It's not bad, but programs are normally big on either experience or grades/class rank, and a lot of times both. I would recommend applying to AEGD/GPRs first if you're dead set on endo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ya see that?

Yeah. YA SEE THAT?

JesusWalksOnWater.JPG

That's a dental student getting into ENDO right outta school--with no experience.

Here ends the reading.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user