Endocrine Fellow Applications: '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

endodoc

Endocrinologist (MD, PhD)
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to see who applied to Endocrine and where. I know that programs cannot open until 12/1/05. I sent my applications on the first day 11/15/05, as soon as ERAS allowed. I sent to 30 top programs, so hope it works as planned.

Also, is it better to get the applications sent in early vs. waiting until the programs open on 12/1?

Members don't see this ad.

endodoc said:
I would like to see who applied to Endocrine and where. I know that programs cannot open until 12/1/05. I sent my applications on the first day 11/15/05, as soon as ERAS allowed. I sent to 30 top programs, so hope it works as planned.

Also, is it better to get the applications sent in early vs. waiting until the programs open on 12/1?

No one??
Bump

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately it seems that not too many fellowship applicants have been frequenting this forum for whatever reason.

From conversations with various attendings, it seems to me that having your application complete sooner rather than later is always is a positive thing. Some fellowship programs basically offer rolling interviews and rolling offers. If you applied to the top 30 endocrine programs as you put it, there is no doubt that you will certainly end up in a really nice endocrine program.

There is no way that you will end up without an endocrine fellowship.
For a few fellowships like pulm, heme/onc, endocrine, etc personal recommendations carry a good deal of weight as you probably already know. In addition to the usual letters, having your medicine program director or medicine chair or a senior endocrine attending put in a good word for you would help get you into the location that you would most prefer.

inositide said:
Unfortunately it seems that not too many fellowship applicants have been frequenting this forum for whatever reason.

From conversations with various attendings, it seems to me that having your application complete sooner rather than later is always is a positive thing. Some fellowship programs basically offer rolling interviews and rolling offers. If you applied to the top 30 endocrine programs as you put it, there is no doubt that you will certainly end up in a really nice endocrine program.

There is no way that you will end up without an endocrine fellowship.
For a few fellowships like pulm, heme/onc, endocrine, etc personal recommendations carry a good deal of weight as you probably already know. In addition to the usual letters, having your medicine program director or medicine chair or a senior endocrine attending put in a good word for you would help get you into the location that you would most prefer.

I have letters from the Chair at Joslin Diabetes Center, my Program Dir. and Asst. Program Dir. I think I covered all bases.

One program opened all files prior to 12/1, does anyone know what this means? Should I contact them?

I have one interview already!! Hope more are coming.

endodoc said:
I have one interview already!! Hope more are coming.

Where did you get the interview if I may ask?

Jason26 Check PM.

Just wanted to drop a line and say hello! I am in the process of applying for endo fellowships (mostly on the East Coast and South) and was excited to see a thread dedicated to endo fellowships. Good luck to all!

Sincerely,
Matt

Nomar5 said:
Just wanted to drop a line and say hello! I am in the process of applying for endo fellowships (mostly on the East Coast and South) and was excited to see a thread dedicated to endo fellowships. Good luck to all!

Sincerely,
Matt

Hey Matt,
I am applying to mainly east and south as well. A few northeast programs as well, but my husband and I perfer to move south again. I have one interview and I sent to 30 programs. A few have not opened yet through. What level of programs are you sending too?

endodoc,

I am in internal medicine in upstate NY. I have applied to programs of all levels. I have one interview in early Jan. so far. I hope to receive some more invites in the next few weeks. Without a match it is somewhat difficult to "rank" programs in your head. Some of my fellow residents who have gone through the process tell me that they were receiving offers for fellowship positions before even receiving interviews at some of there top choices....it would be hard to turn down an offer in the hopes of being granted an interview at a more desirable location. Any thoughts?

Matt

Nomar5 said:
endodoc,

I am in internal medicine in upstate NY. I have applied to programs of all levels. I have one interview in early Jan. so far. I hope to receive some more invites in the next few weeks. Without a match it is somewhat difficult to "rank" programs in your head. Some of my fellow residents who have gone through the process tell me that they were receiving offers for fellowship positions before even receiving interviews at some of there top choices....it would be hard to turn down an offer in the hopes of being granted an interview at a more desirable location. Any thoughts?

Matt

Matt,
Are you a FMG? I belive FMG can prematch, but a US grad cannot. I would only take a prematch at a top location because I am competive with my background. If and when time comes and I am offered at a top location I may go for it. Send me a PM, let me know where you have interview. I will also send you a PM now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I have a question about programs downloading our photograph for endo fellowship applications. On the EFDO documents page it says that program directors cannot view our photos until we have been offered an interview, but all of the programs I have applied to have downloaded my photo. Does this really mean that they are planning on extending interviews? Anyone have any thoughts?
Best wishes with the app process.

sienna said:
Hey everyone,

I have a question about programs downloading our photograph for endo fellowship applications. On the EFDO documents page it says that program directors cannot view our photos until we have been offered an interview, but all of the programs I have applied to have downloaded my photo. Does this really mean that they are planning on extending interviews? Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm curious about this too. I had heard for residency purposes programs downloading one's photo doesn't reflect an anticipated interview invite. My photo has not been downloaded and the remainder of my app has been by most programs... of course it was only uploaded just recently compared to everything else.

sienna said:
Hey everyone,

I just checked my apps, and all programs who opened also have opened my photo. If you get word on this please let us know. Very odd...

18 programs from ID have downloaded my appl and all of them have dowloaded my photo..including the top programs..so I think programs can download all applicants' photos whether they r going to offer interview or not

"Photographs are not mandatory but if you want your application to be complete, then you should provide one. Programs use the photographs to identify you when you come to interview, and as a memory aid when creating a rank list. Programs cannot view your photograph during their initial evaluation of your application. The photograph is not visible until you have been selected for interview."

This is quoted from EDFO website..does not say programs cannot download..just that it won't be visible..may be calling EDFO at 215) 966-3940
will calrify this.

Got my 2nd interview yesterday!!

Dear Endodoc,

Congrats on your interview. From reading your posts it is clear that endocrinology is the place for you. I hope the interviews continue to pile up! Just a general question....when should we hear from places regarding interviews? Will they trickle in during the winter or should one be worried if its late Jan and one has not heard from several programs? If you would like I would love to hear where you got your second interview...you can PM if you want, but do not feel obligated to share.

Congrats,
Matt

Nomar5 said:
Dear Endodoc,

Congrats on your interview. From reading your posts it is clear that endocrinology is the place for you. I hope the interviews continue to pile up! Just a general question....when should we hear from places regarding interviews? Will they trickle in during the winter or should one be worried if its late Jan and one has not heard from several programs? If you would like I would love to hear where you got your second interview...you can PM if you want, but do not feel obligated to share.

Congrats,
Matt

Got one rejection letter today via snail mail from MGH. Oh well, keep on moving.

i have applied in 26 programs, got one interview and 2 rejections but i have not heard from the rest. I don't think there is any association b/w downlaoding photo and getting interview. I guess programs download everything.
When do endocrine programs interview.

sarahgump said:
i have applied in 26 programs, got one interview and 2 rejections but i have not heard from the rest. I don't think there is any association b/w downlaoding photo and getting interview. I guess programs download everything.
When do endocrine programs interview.

All programs downloaded photos, so I do not believe in the theory that downloaded photo means interview. If thats the case, I have a lot of airline tickets to buy; which isn't always a bad thing!!
I have 2 interviews so far, and I am in hope that when the PD's get back from vacation more will come!

Does anyone know about the University of Colorado Endo fellowship?

Hi all!

Hope interviews are going well for everyone. I've gotten a few invites so far but am still waiting for most programs to get back to me. Do things seem unusually slow this year?
I'm specifically interested in California programs so if anyone has heard anything please let me know.
Also does anyone have any interview experiences / opinions to offer?

Dear bogi,

I share your frustration. I have two interviews (applied to 30 programs), but have heard nothing for a few weeks. I wonder if the common application is to blame for the slow response given that all our applications arrived on the same day.

Would love to hear if anyone has spoken to programs regarding target dates for interviews.

Best of luck with your interviews.

Sincerely,
Matt

Nomar5 said:
Dear bogi,

I share your frustration. I have two interviews (applied to 30 programs), but have heard nothing for a few weeks. I wonder if the common application is to blame for the slow response given that all our applications arrived on the same day.

Would love to hear if anyone has spoken to programs regarding target dates for interviews.

Sincerely,
Matt

Thanks for your message! At least I know that I am not alone in this waiting game. I talked to a fellow applicant today and apparently a program director told her that things were a bit slower this year due to increased number of apps (I presume because of ERAS and the ease of sending multiple applications).

Has anyone heard from Joslin Diabetes Center or Stanford?

Best wishes to everyone on the interview trail.

Anyone have insight on these programs?

Yale
NIH
Emory
University of Colorado Health
University of South FL

Thanks,

Nomar5 said:
Dear bogi,

Sincerely,
Matt

Matt I sent you a PM, please take a look.

Can anyone help me with what programs are the best from my list?

I have looked on US news, but I would like to hear from you all if possible.

My options are thus far:

NIH
Yale
Emory
University of Colorado

Thanks

Has anyone heard from UNC Chapel Hill or Wake Forest in regards to interview or has anyone had a interview there?

I got a rejection from Duke, but have not heard from the other two NC programs yet.

Endodoc,

I PM'd you

i heard offers will not go out until mid march due to the rec. of the Assoc of program dirs. Has anyone heard this or have offers yet?

Does anyone post here???? What a weak thread, it would be nice to hear from people and see who and where you are getting any offers.

Is is late to hear from other programs?

Hello all,

News on the endocrine front has been quite for a while. Sounds like applications are way up this year. I hope the process is going well for everyone. Please share frustrations/ good news!

Matt

Nomar5 said:
Hello all,

News on the endocrine front has been quite for a while. Sounds like applications are way up this year. I hope the process is going well for everyone. Please share frustrations/ good news!

Matt

I think people are choosing Endo as a safe bet, when they wait for GI and other subs. There is no way that Endo apps went up 4-fold in one year. Since it is through ERAS now, many people are applying, and taking postions, and still waiting for the match in other subs.

This is just my thought on why apps are up for 2007.

endodoc said:
I think people are choosing Endo as a safe bet, when they wait for GI and other subs. There is no way that Endo apps went up 4-fold in one year. Since it is through ERAS now, many people are applying, and taking postions, and still waiting for the match in other subs.

This is just my thought on why apps are up for 2007.

Hard to beleive that people would take an endo position, sign contracts etc and then back out once they get a GI spot. I guess it is possible. Has anyone else caught wind of this scenario?

Sounds like endo needs a match. Any thoughts?

Nomar5 said:
Hard to beleive that people would take an endo position, sign contracts etc and then back out once they get a GI spot. I guess it is possible. Has anyone else caught wind of this scenario?

Sounds like endo needs a match. Any thoughts?

This is the word on the "street." Since there is no match you can at anytime back out of the "contract." You will not make any buddies along the way, but it can be done vs. the match where it is more binding.

I find it very hard to beleive that med centers are getting over 150-200 apps for endo now. Endo=safe for GI or others higher end subs. I also find it funny that Amer. are applying to Endo now when stats show it was mainly IMG's.

Looks like only myself and one other person use this thread.... I cannot believe that no one else is using this. I see a lot of view, but come on folks, share any news. All the other IM subs have a lot of actions on there threads.

Did anyone here get a fellowship?? I did, so I hope you all did. I also must add this is one of the weakest threads I have ever been a part of. Really sad that you all do not want to share info.

I got nothing so far and only one more place left to hear from so it sucks!

endodoc said:
Did anyone here get a fellowship?? I did, so I hope you all did. I also must add this is one of the weakest threads I have ever been a part of. Really sad that you all do not want to share info.

but yours is even worse!
GL guys

Jason26 said:
I got nothing so far and only one more place left to hear from so it sucks!
Jason,
Sent you PM

So did you all get fellowships?

I just finished my third interview in California and have another one scheduled next week. It has been very competitive, the last two interviews there were 10-15 applicants interviewing for 1 space per program. The current program I may have a better chance, but I have been told that applications have tripled in a year - I think it has a lot to do with the fact there are fewer "good outpatient jobs" out there, and more hospitalists jobs for people who don't specialize. And as you all know, hospitalist work is tough and hours are long, so people are opting to specialize in endocrine for the opportunity to get good outpatient training and make a decent living without having to do hospitalist work.

Anyone get an endo fellowship?
Any advice as to how to get in to a fellowship program you really want to get into?
I'm still waiting to hear.

Thanks

where do you apply? which programs are good?

can u use u're same PS as fr residency.......it is so hard tow write essays for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.