Endocrine Fellow Applications: '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone interviewing at wake forest this weekend?

Members don't see this ad.

invitation from Iowa
rejection from Rush
why so much silence all of a sudden?...

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody getting any interviews. or it's over now.

Hi everybody!
I hope everything is going smooth with interviews, etc :thumbup:

I want to buy a textbook for endocrinology. Any recommendations?
should I buy Williams?
something that will help me through my first months during fellowship.
:)
please reply!
thanks

Hi everyone,

I will be interviewing at the following institutions. I was wondering if anyone had more information about these programs, such as reputation, research vs clinically oriented, workload, the city etc:

NYU
Rush
Georgetown
Harbor-UCLA
Cedars Sinai LA
UCSD

Thank you so much in advance!

Hi!
anybody knows anything about Scripps clinic in La Jolla, California.
They invited me for an interview in May. Isn't it too late?
It is my only interview, so I don't think I have a great chance:(
thank you in advance...

Hi escosary, no.. may is not too late!!
chin up and prepare well for it. best of luck! :thumbup:
scripps is a great program and la jolla a beautiful place to live!

norelag: Harbor UCLA has both a clinical (2 year) and a research (3 year) path . It is combined with City of hope. Some fellows spend more time in one place or the other, depending what your interests are and your mentors. You will get to decide who your mentor will be after several months of starting your fellowship once you get to know them better.

City of hope is located in a nice rea of town. Harbor UCLA is not as nice area. You have to deal with traffic of course since we are talking about LA area and all the good and bad stuff LA has to offer.
hoe it helps
dont know about the rest fo programs
good luck!!

No news (14):
Stanford, UCLA, UCSF, Yale, U Chicago, Boston Medical Center, Mass General, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, U Penn, Thomas Jefferson, U Wash in Seattle

A lot of those programs you mentioned above, are notorious for filling their program with their own residents. So don't be surprised if you don't get an interview, and even if you do, you probably won't have much of a shot unless you're a resident there.

Hi!
anybody knows anything about Scripps clinic in La Jolla, California.
They invited me for an interview in May. Isn't it too late?
It is my only interview, so I don't think I have a great chance:(
thank you in advance...

The question is, is there a Scripps Internal Medicine resident who wants to do endocrinology? I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, there is only one clinical spot at Scripps. If the answer is yes, you probably don't have much of a chance unless that person doesn't rank Scripps high.

Last edited:
I am new to this forum. I am very desperate and hopeless. applyed to 40 endo fellowship programs but didn't receive single interview this means taht I should move on and forget about endo?

Wow, really, you applied to 40 programs? Are you a foreign grad that needs a Visa? If so, that's probably why you didn't get any interviews.

As a graduating endocrine fellow, I can tell you that many programs are downsizing the number of fellows they are taking...both clinical and academic. There just isn't any money. So if you are in need of a Visa, that is even worse.

So it is very highly competitive this year, you need to have stellar credentials. Gone are the days of just about everyone getting an endocrine spot. The lifestyle is great. The job market is huge. I will be making double what my attendings make when I start my new job in the summer in private practice.

good luck everyone.

Last edited:
I have an interview at Harbor -UCLA
Any idea about this program?

For all of you that got the Harbor-UCLA interview. If you truly want to be in Southern California, it is probably your best shot to get in, that is with Harbor UCLA. UCLA, USC, Cedars are much more difficult to get in simply because they favor their own residents. With Harbor-UCLA, there usually are 2-clinical spots, and 1- academic (3years). If you're not a stellar applicant but you are desperate to get into endo fellowship, think about the 3-year academic spot. You will have many people competing with you to do the 2 year track, but much fewer going for the 3 year track. And having known people who completed the 3 year track, they ended up doing clinical anyways and joining a private practice or working for a large group. yes it's an extra year, but I guess you'll have to weigh whether your objective is to get into sunny CA or if saving a year is more important. That academic spot there is much easier to get than the clinical spots. And it probably goes for all the academic positions versus clinical positions around the country.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
can you share your experience at emory?

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been on vacation. Anyway, Overall I have nothing but positive things to say about my interview at Emory.

Positives: Very supportive faculty! Dr. Umpierrez was a former faculty member at my med school and a really awesome clinician and researcher. Dr. Thule also seemed to be very enthusiastic about teaching. I am interested in diabetes, and a lot of research there is focused on this so it was a plus for me. Also, all the fellows were down to earth and supportive.

Negatives: Nobody hid the issue of driving distance from grady to emory or emory to the VA at my interview. Although the three hospital system in itself is a plus, Atlanta traffic is another story. Also the interview day is very, very long.

PM me if you have any other q’s.

For all of you that got the Harbor-UCLA interview. If you truly want to be in Southern California, it is probably your best shot to get in, that is with Harbor UCLA. UCLA, USC, Cedars are much more difficult to get in simply because they favor their own residents. With Harbor-UCLA, there usually are 2-clinical spots, and 1- academic (3years). If you're not a stellar applicant but you are desperate to get into endo fellowship, think about the 3-year academic spot. You will have many people competing with you to do the 2 year track, but much fewer going for the 3 year track. And having known people who completed the 3 year track, they ended up doing clinical anyways and joining a private practice or working for a large group. yes it's an extra year, but I guess you'll have to weigh whether your objective is to get into sunny CA or if saving a year is more important. That academic spot there is much easier to get than the clinical spots. And it probably goes for all the academic positions versus clinical positions around the country.

I don't really understand your reasoning. Harbor UCLA has a IM residency program and they also favor their own residents. Fellowship application is a crapshoot in a way, some years there are no internal candidates and other years multiple, so if you really want to be at a certain geographical location, may as well apply to all of the programs there.

boF

ps: i would not recommend ranking that 3 year track unless you are really ok with a 3 year fellowship. that extra year could be a long time...

Guys,
I am new to this forum... I know it is kind of late to join. How many programs are you guys planning to rank.... Is there a good number...
Can anybody comment on these programs.

1. univ of alabama
2. univ of maryland
3. goerge washington univ
4. univ of vermont.

I am on a visa and I had very few calls this time. I am planning to rank only 5 in total. can anybody give me suggestions.

I:) would really appreciate this
thanks a lot

I don't really understand your reasoning. Harbor UCLA has a IM residency program and they also favor their own residents. Fellowship application is a crapshoot in a way, some years there are no internal candidates and other years multiple, so if you really want to be at a certain geographical location, may as well apply to all of the programs there.

boF

ps: i would not recommend ranking that 3 year track unless you are really ok with a 3 year fellowship. that extra year could be a long time...

I think if the program didn't favor their own residents, I would be suspicious. Why would their own residents want to go elsewhere? The fellowships are often supported by the department of medicine...they probably SHOULD take their own residents (all else being equal).

Why would you want to apply to a 3 year program if you didn't want to do research? You'd just be miserable and everyone would know it was a lie. Two years is not that long...find a program that fits your needs.

Last edited:
Can some body tell me the number of programs they are ranking? Is 5 a good number.

how many does one need to match.................

This wait until June 17th is going to kill me. Ugh.

Guys..
It is going to be a painful wait for another two months.
I attended 6 interviews, but planning to rank only 4
can anybody please tell me the number of programs u guys planning to rank.......

I attended 10 interviews, will rank all 10.

I don't know how many you have to attend to "guarantee" a match. I'm not sure anyone does because the match is so new for this specialty. I know CCM folks who interviewed at 8 and didn't match, yet someone who interviewed at 1 or 2 and matched.

boF

Harbor-UCLA is a smaller internal medicine program(17 categoricals) compared to the other programs. With the number of Endocrine fellowship spots, they often take people outside of the harbor system. Also it is in a nice location. Torrance in awesome.

Has anyone else been getting emails or letters from programs essentially asking where you ranked them?

I know they're not supposed to do this, but clearly they do. If they are your first choice, then its easy...you tell them that. What do you do if its your last choice, or #8?

I don't want to ruin my chances of matching at a lower ranked spot if I don't get my top ranks, but I don't want to lie either. Any suggestions?

Dear Treesap,
I am surprised that they emailed u. I havent got a single email from them. I dont know if that means that I wont be ranked. Did u get those emails form program in the west/mid west or the east coast.

Can u kindly share with us.

Interesting, now that you mention it. West and midwest, but not eastcoast programs. Maybe it is related to location (but this isn't exactly a scientific study)?

hey sorry
I was not planning for a study. I applied to the east coast only:) I dint hear anything from anybody so far.
Good Luck withy ur match
:)

Did anybody interview there?

Do you know how many people did they interview?

Any inputs?

Thanks

Good luck to everyone in the upcoming endocrine fellowship match. I'm sure this is a nerve-wracking time, but hang in there!

Anyone going to ENDO in DC? Hopefully, a good time will be had by all :)

See you there!

How do you know you are going to DC? did u rank the DC program high?

Good luck anyways:)

I am sorry I just realised that u meant the ENDO conference.......
Good luck

I am sorry I just realised that u meant the ENDO conference.......
Good luck

Yep - sorry, I should have clarified: Endocrine Society meeting in DC. I'm finishing up my first year of fellowship - so I don't have to worry about the match (not to rub it in) :) However, my problem is that I have to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life ha ha ha

Again, good luck to those applying!

I hope everyone is happy with their match. I will be going to Emory!

I hope everyone is happy with their match. I will be going to Emory!

Brigham and Women's for me! Good luck to everyone, hope you got your top choices!

Hi all - I matched at my 2nd choice.Attended 12 IVs and ranked all 12 .I didnot get any positive feedback from top 3 programs after the interview but some how made it.A friend of mine got excellent feedback from the programs but unfortunately didnot match.

Hi all - I matched at my 2nd choice.Attended 12 IVs and ranked all 12 .I didnot get any positive feedback from top 3 programs after the interview but some how made it.A friend of mine got excellent feedback from the programs but unfortunately didnot match.

I'm not surprised. Fewer spots overall now because of budget cuts, and more people interested in endocrinology (especially women, since it's a great lifestyle).

Hint to you future applicants, fellowships are looking for people who are interested in academics and doing research and staying on as faculty. Even if you want to just be a clinician, go into private practice, or work for a big HMO later....just say you are interested in academics...that's how you will get in. I was part of the admissions selection committee for my fellowship program last year, and we liked almost everyone we interviewed, but we chose people who liked research and would be likely to stay on as faculty.

Hey All,

Hope the fellowship application experience is going well! I'm preparing for my Endocrinology fellowship interviews and just curious to hear about people's experiences. In general (questions you've been asked, unique challenges, impression of programs, helpful tips, etc.) and whether you've had the opportunity to interview at the following programs and impressions:

1. University of Rochester Medical Center (NY)

2. University of Utah School of Medicine

3. NSLIJ

4. Jackson Memorial Hospital/University of Miami

Thanks in advance!
gordo8319

Are you a foreign grad?. Are you interviewing in those places?.. I do not have any interviews yet..I am freaking out!!!:scared:

Hey All,

Hope the fellowship application experience is going well! I'm preparing for my Endocrinology fellowship interviews and just curious to hear about people's experiences. In general (questions you've been asked, unique challenges, impression of programs, helpful tips, etc.) and whether you've had the opportunity to interview at the following programs and impressions:

1. University of Rochester Medical Center (NY)

2. University of Utah School of Medicine

3. NSLIJ

4. Jackson Memorial Hospital/University of Miami

Thanks in advance!
gordo8319

Good effort on resurrecting the topic! But, there is another Endo Fellowship thread that was started this year. It has decent activity so you may want to post there instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.