Endocrinology "lifestyle"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HH Holmes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From a few various threads on SDN and talking to an IM resident I had the pleasure of traveling with, it seems that the general consensus is that endocrinology in hospitals, for the most part, is taking care of diabetes patients who don't take their meds, or those without insurance. What is the validity of this and how does it differ from PP?

Also, solely from SDN, it seems that endo is not a competitive fellowship to match into (I can't see why, endo seems awesome). Why is this? Lack of salary? Lack of substance?

Thanks.

Note: Please leave all of your "YOU'RE ONLY A PRE-MED YOUR QUESTION IS IRRELEVANT" comments at the door. I'm asking a question to better gain my understanding of a field, not to make a life choice. /rant

This is probably very true in PP, but the academics see a lot of not so normal things that make it more interesting.

To answer your question about competitiveness, yes, it is all about money. If endos made twice what they made now, it would very competitive. You could make the same or more doing general medicine.

endocrine has become super competitive this year...its not easy to get into it anymore...check out nrmp match statistics in june after match date.

Members don't see this ad :)
endocrine has become super competitive this year...its not easy to get into it anymore...check out nrmp match statistics in june after match date.

Will do. Any speculation on why this is happening?

unlikely.

the only thing that makes endocrine somewhat competitive is the low number of fellowship spots. if you were to compare the applicant pool to that of cardiology and gi it wouldn't even be close.

@ staup...check the attachment...i calculated this from 2009 nrmp match statistics...

This cleary suggests... competitiveness
1.GI
2.Endo
3.Cardio
4.Heme onc
5.Nephro
6.Rheum
7.PCC
8. Allergy and Immunology
9. ID

Attachments

• 2009 nrmp stats.docx
    11.2 KB · Views: 124
sorry its 2010 nrmp stats and not 2009....i just wonder whether endo is going to overcome GI this year

@ staup...check the attachment...i calculated this from 2009 nrmp match statistics...

This cleary suggests... competitiveness
1.GI
2.Endo
3.Cardio
4.Heme onc
5.Nephro
6.Rheum
7.PCC
8. Allergy and Immunology
9. ID

actually it doesn't. looking at numbers alone works if the applicant pools are identical, but they certainly are not. There are a lot of IMGs who want to do fellowships, and a lot of them try for less competitive specialties they have a better chance at matching at.

Just curious to know when everyone is talking about the competitiveness of the different fellowships-what is the salary compensation for each--or rather a range that one would expect?

Just curious to know when everyone is talking about the competitiveness of the different fellowships-what is the salary compensation for each--or rather a range that one would expect?

I'm no expert, but I know that totally depends if you're going to work in an academic setting or a private practice setting.

wow, would have thought cardiology to be on top

wow, would have thought cardiology to be on top

It may be. GI and Cards are close, GI probably slightly ahead right now.

There is no chance Endo is more competitive than either.

It may be. GI and Cards are close, GI probably slightly ahead right now.

There is no chance Endo is more competitive than either.

From the recent IM residents I have talked to, it seems that the most competitive IM Subs are the ones that have the most procedures, as they pay the most money. For example, getting into an interventional cardiology fellowship is probably very competitive while endocrinology or rheumatology are not.

Procedures are king right now. Where are you now in the road to medicine? Freshman in college? I'm sure you know, but it is worth repeating, in 5-10 years medicine could be a completely different monster.