SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Endorsements from doctors

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by med student, Feb 16, 2002.

1. med student

med student Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 6, 2001
    New York
    This topic came up earlier today in another thread that was closed and sent to the advertising section. But I am curious as to what other people think about doctors endorsing products. This what I wrote in the other thread

In an ideal world I think it is okay for a doctor to endose a product once they have taken the time and the effort to make sure that the product is safe and useful. The reason I use the ideal world part is I believe a doctor can make a legitamate judgement on a product but when money gets involved it can cloud a person's judgement. But if you think about it doctors endorse products everyday but on just a smaller scale. Right now I am in a peds office and the doctor is constantly telling parents that she likes/dislikes a product and that they should switch products. This is considered completely appropriate because money is not clouding the doctors opinion. So I think it is possible a doctor can endorse a product but they must be extremely careful to do it on the product's merits for both their own integrity and that of the profession.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. dr.evil

dr.evil Senior Member Physician 7+ Year Member

Oct 30, 2001
    "Endorse?" Well, endorse implies kick-backs or remuneration for a service. This, I don't agree with. However, I do believe physicians can say that they believe this product works better than this on. I've never had a problem with advertising saying, "#1 Physician recommended" as long as the statement is true.

Marketing and advertising are always a sensitive issue for physicians. The line of ethics is always being ridden with drug reps buying physicians dinner or golf or whatever. Everyone will have a different opinion.
  4. cchoukal

cchoukal Senior Member Moderator 10+ Year Member

Jul 10, 2001
    SF, CA
    I think the problem with saying things like "#1 doctor recommended" in ads is that we don't really know what that means. Did they ask 1 doctor? 500? I think it's easy to assume that the advertiser is being up front with us, but corporate greed knows few bounds; they don't really have to have anything to back up a statement like "#1 doctor recommended."
  5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    I'll move this interesting topic over to The Lounge...