Endorsements from doctors

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by med student, Feb 16, 2002.

1. med student

med student Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

This topic came up earlier today in another thread that was closed and sent to the advertising section. But I am curious as to what other people think about doctors endorsing products. This what I wrote in the other thread

In an ideal world I think it is okay for a doctor to endose a product once they have taken the time and the effort to make sure that the product is safe and useful. The reason I use the ideal world part is I believe a doctor can make a legitamate judgement on a product but when money gets involved it can cloud a person's judgement. But if you think about it doctors endorse products everyday but on just a smaller scale. Right now I am in a peds office and the doctor is constantly telling parents that she likes/dislikes a product and that they should switch products. This is considered completely appropriate because money is not clouding the doctors opinion. So I think it is possible a doctor can endorse a product but they must be extremely careful to do it on the product's merits for both their own integrity and that of the profession.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dr.evil

dr.evil Senior Member
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    "Endorse?" Well, endorse implies kick-backs or remuneration for a service. This, I don't agree with. However, I do believe physicians can say that they believe this product works better than this on. I've never had a problem with advertising saying, "#1 Physician recommended" as long as the statement is true.

Marketing and advertising are always a sensitive issue for physicians. The line of ethics is always being ridden with drug reps buying physicians dinner or golf or whatever. Everyone will have a different opinion.

4. cchoukal

cchoukal Senior Member
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think the problem with saying things like "#1 doctor recommended" in ads is that we don't really know what that means. Did they ask 1 doctor? 500? I think it's easy to assume that the advertiser is being up front with us, but corporate greed knows few bounds; they don't really have to have anything to back up a statement like "#1 doctor recommended."

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'll move this interesting topic over to The Lounge...