1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Endothelial damage leads to formation of a fibrin clot

Discussion in 'Step I' started by BlondeCookie, May 12, 2008.

1. BlondeCookie

BlondeCookie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

This is what I've always thought. That is, that endothelial damage (referring to bl vessel walls here), leads to formation of a fibrin clot. I was just going through some old notes, and it contradicts my logic. My notes have that...
    • endothelial damage -> activated Hageman factor (factor 12) -> thrombin -> finbrin clot degradation

:confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DwyaneWade

DwyaneWade Reiging *** Cynic
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Those notes are wrong.

It is right until the end. Thrombin (the common endproduct of both extrinsic and intrinsic clotting systems) causes fibrinogen to be converted into a fibrin clot. Plasmin late can degrade this clot to recanalize the vessel.

4. docmd2010

docmd2010 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think what activates Hageman's factor is actually exposed collagen, when the endothelial cell is damaged. This will activate the intrinsic pathway. Tissue factor (thromboplastin) and will activate the extrinisic system. The common pathway will then ensue and thrombin will form the soft tissue clot. Factor XIII will then come in and cross link the clot to make a more sturdy clot.