Endurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JP2740

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I'll get flamed for this or not, but does anybody have any tips for building up my endurance for standing up for 5+ hours and not getting out of it? Besides exercising and all that?

I'm sure other people feel this way at times...

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if I'll get flamed for this or not, but does anybody have any tips for building up my endurance for standing up for 5+ hours and not getting out of it? Besides exercising and all that?

My experience is limited to just a couple surgery rotations, but here's what I did if I knew I would be in a 6+ hour case: I made sure I had food in my stomach before the case starts, wore a comfortable pair of shoes that didn't hurt my feet/legs/back by the end of the case, had a piece of gum in my mouth, have some chap stick on since my lips get dry, went to the bathroom before the case, moved my legs/didn't lock them in one place, tried to maintain a decent posture with my shoulders pulled back (I get thoracic back pain if I slouch my shoulders). I try to strengthen my core (especially abs and lower back) as well as pecs and traps when I exercise.

The key is mental imagery. Next time you're going into a long case picture yourself as a real man.

Members don't see this ad :)
eat before case, pee before case, drink before case

Also, make sure what you're eating is high-protein and low-sugar/carb. Maybe its just me, but I learned the hard way earlier this year when I slammed down a bagel and a juice right before a bunch of peds cases. Between the french fry light and the swings in my blood sugar, I almost passed out into the field. Luckily I had the presence of mind to say I needed to scrub out, and luckily it was an attending that didn't give a crap if he had a resident with him or not, but my pride still took a hit.

No more pre-surgery bagels for me and no problems since.

swings in your blood sugar? sounds you've got an insulinoma

Well, maybe I exaggerated there. :rolleyes: I didn't actually do an accu-check or anything. :) But I also keep a fairly balanced diet and typically do not drink juice unless I cut it with seltzer. So n = 2 situations where I eat a bagel and large juice in less than 3 minutes and then find myself passing out 30-40 mins later was enough for me. I haven't nearly passed out after downing a bunch of hardboiled eggs or cottage cheese so I'm sticking to my advice.

But hey, if all this extra time at the gym doesn't take the rest of my intern weight off, maybe I'll get it checked out. My thyroid is fine so nothing else to blame but laziness so far. :D

Love it.

That's what I say to med students who ask for special treatment because they have "hypoglycemia."

Passing out? Are you exaggerating again Lucid Splash? ;)

No. 2 near syncopal episodes. :cool: Not exactly awesome for any resident, let alone one of the rare women in the program... also, somehow people always feel the need to ask if you are pregnant when this happens? :rolleyes:

You're all laughing now, but when I get my insulinoma diagnosed and remove it myself, I'll have the last laugh. :rolleyes:

Once you become staff, you'll have alot more endurance- largely since you are actually responsible for the case outcome!

sometimes in tough cases, hours can go by without noticing, but you certainly pay for it when you crash after the case

No. 2 near syncopal episodes. :cool: Not exactly awesome for any resident, let alone one of the rare women in the program... also, somehow people always feel the need to ask if you are pregnant when this happens? :rolleyes:

You're all laughing now, but when I get my insulinoma diagnosed and remove it myself, I'll have the last laugh. :rolleyes:

I get what you are talking about. I have had similar things happen to me, and one of the times I actually did get my sugar checked-it was fine. Everyone always seems to not believe you when you say you aren't pregnant, which I hate.