Energy/Matter-Carrying of Different Waves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaintJude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So can someone please look if the associations I made are correct?

Types of wave: what it transports

Mechanical waves: energy only (Are all mechanical waves standing waves?)

Electromagnetic wave: energy & matter

Radio waves: energy & matter

Are there any waves that carry matter only? That would kind of impossible, I imagine.

Members don't see this ad.

Energy only, for all of them.

Not all mechanical waves are standing waves. Standing wave means that it stays stationary along the direction of propagation of the wave. They are result either of interference of two other waves or of media moving in direction opposite to the wave.

Members don't see this ad :)
So can someone please look if the associations I made are correct?

Types of wave: what it transports

Mechanical waves: energy only (Are all mechanical waves standing waves?)

Electromagnetic wave: energy & matter

Radio waves: energy & matter

Are there any waves that carry matter only? That would kind of impossible, I imagine.

Why make a distinction?

E = mc^2

Is a photon a particle or a wave? Does it really make a difference?

Ok, so when I see an AAMC question, "What does xyz wave transport?"

It's always:
A: Energy only

for real?

Why make a distinction?

E = mc^2

Is a photon a particle or a wave? Does it really make a difference?
Wouldn't that imply if waves are transporting energy, they're transporting mass?
Ok, so when I see an AAMC question, "What does xyz wave transport?"

It's always:
A: Energy only

I'll find the AAMC or the TPR that had it. Tomorrow. I think it was AAMC10 btw.

Wouldn't that imply if waves are transporting energy, they're transporting mass?

Yes, and mass and energy are interconvertible. Masses of particles are sometimes given in energy units, for convenience. With that said, I would stick to waves transporting only energy, at least for MCAT purposes.

I'll find the AAMC or the TPR that had it. Tomorrow. I think it was AAMC10 btw.

**** it, I don't have time to look through 10 exams, but it's energy only like milski said.

Yes, and mass and energy are interconvertible. Masses of particles are sometimes given in energy units, for convenience. With that said, I would stick to waves transporting only energy, at least for MCAT purposes.

I think the issue that the OP has is that his source classifies photons as matter.

I think they usually would be considered energy (since they have no rest mass), not matter, but the distinction is kind of arbitrary.

Aha, yes therein lies my confusion. Now I understand why EM waves can be considered carrying energy only but also carry photons.

I think the issue that the OP has is that his source classifies photons as matter.

I think they usually would be considered energy (since they have no rest mass), not matter, but the distinction is kind of arbitrary.

Right. I really dislike questions for which I can justify more than one answer based on context/assumptions.

bumb!

all waves carry energy only, True!

someone correct me if I am wrong please :)

Reactions: 1 user