energy of covalent bonds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tammie123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does this mean: 'covalent bonds are very strong- 30 to 100 x 10^-20J >> KBT (thermal energy of molecule)'. Does this mean that the energy of the bond is greater than the thermal energy of the molecule? If it does then what significance does this have?

Can someone please help me?

Members don't see this ad.

Before i attempt to answer, this is just a guess! I am not a genius.

Thermal energy of molecule is how fast the molecules are vibrating which causes heat which gives molecules energy. Covalent bonds are energy thats is stored between atoms. The statement is trying to give you a prespective of how strong covalent bonds are. Think about it this way, if the thermal energy was stronger tham covalent bond energy then the covalent bond would break. In order to hold atoms together in bonds, you need a bond thats has greater energy than the atoms thermal energy to keep.

I have no idea if that made sense.

Reactions: 1 users

Thermal energy of molecule is how fast the molecules are vibrating which causes heat which gives molecules energy. Covalent bonds are energy thats is stored between atoms. The statement is trying to give you a prespective of how strong covalent bonds are. Think about it this way, if the thermal energy was stronger tham covalent bond energy then the covalent bond would break. In order to hold atoms together in bonds, you need a bond thats has greater energy than the atoms thermal energy to keep.

That makes a lot of sense to me. And the fact that you are doing both hs AND college AND taking the PCAT AND applying to pharmacy schools even before graduating from hs impresses me a lot !! :thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
That makes a lot of sense to me. And the fact that you are doing both hs AND college AND taking the PCAT AND applying to pharmacy schools even before graduating from hs impresses me a lot !! :thumbup::thumbup:
Thank you so much for that comment! :biglove:

This also made alot of sense to me too :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:. Thank you! :happy: