Energy of photons and frequency- Doubling Frequency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Metabolics

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am trying to figure out this statement:

"E=hf. This equation gives energy per photon. It turns out that if we double the frequency, we also double the number of photons increasing the intensity by a factor of four as expected"

1. How does doubling the frequency result in a doubling of photons?
2. Do I assume then that doubling frequency results in 2 photons with 2 times the frequency previously, meaning the energy will be 4 times as great?
3. What occurs if I triple, quadruple the frequency, does the same rule apply?

*confused*

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I am trying to figure out this statement:

"E=hf. This equation gives energy per photon. It turns out that if we double the frequency, we also double the number of photons increasing the intensity by a factor of four as expected"

1. How does doubling the frequency result in a doubling of photons?
2. Do I assume then that doubling frequency results in 2 photons with 2 times the frequency previously, meaning the energy will be 4 times as great?
3. What occurs if I triple, quadruple the frequency, does the same rule apply?

*confused*
i think they're assuming you double the frequency and this object thats undergoing photoelectric effect can only go to 1 excited level if so then
yes doubling the frequency should yield twice as many photons because energy levels are quantized

however this assuming were dealing with ONE excited level or else no it would not yield more photons smh EK makes stupid mistakes like this

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=315570