energy storage potential of trans fats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeblossom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EK says saturated fats have greater energy storage potential than unsaturated fats. what about trans fats? I know they're terrible for your health but what's their energy storage potential compared to unsaturated and saturated?

Members don't see this ad.

EK says saturated fats have greater energy storage potential than unsaturated fats. what about trans fats? I know they're terrible for your health but what's their energy storage potential compared to unsaturated and saturated?

according to wikipedia:

Trans fat is the common name for unsaturated fat with trans-isomer (E-isomer) fatty acid(s).

so I would guess it also has less energy stored?

Great question.

Think about where the energy from cellular metabolism is originally derived from.

We oxidize these metabolic substrates and take away their high energy electrons to utilize their potential energy toward ATP synthesis (oxidative phosphorylation via ATP synthase).

Thus, any compound containing a larger number of high energy electrons will possess a greater potential to produce energy than a compound containing fewer available electrons. Now compare this notion to the question you have posed.

Unsaturated fatty acids possess degrees of unsaturation and therefore fewer high energy electrons to donate relative to the saturated variant (review how electrons can be transferred in biochemical redox reactions if this explanation seems lacking).

Hope this helps