Engineer to Med School Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mscott32

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, hopefully I placed this in the correct sub forum.

Anyways, I was curious whether Medical school would still be feasible for me at this point in my undergraduate career.

Firstly my major is in Mechanical Engineering.

GPA is currently 3.204 with sGPA ~3.25. I still have 2 full semesters and a summer semester left of school, of which I need to take Biology 2 (lab), Chem 2 (lab), Orgo1&2 (labs) still. Could I bring my sGPA up to a respectable grade with these classes left to go?

As far as work and EC's:

I have done 3 Co-Ops (6 month full time work) during my undergraduate career
~1st in Manufacturing Engineering with Department of Defense,
~2nd in Research&Development Medical Device field, endoscopy (had thorough lab work including cadaver work and biomechanics simulations)
~3rd in Research&Development Medical Device Field, Orthopedic surgery (lots of biologics including dissecting/harvesting, chemical testing, and biomechanics)

As far as volunteering I have ~300 hours of patient contact care,
Shadowing should be up to about ~50 hours including orthopedic surgeon, and primary care physicians.

After graduation I plan on working in the orthopedic surgery medical device field, whilst studying for MCATs and application process.

Basically I'm looking for some validation that I'm going down the right path with my current plan of attack. I'm very concerned that I will be red-lighted simply because of my GPA, without them even considering major and EC's.

As far as which schools I would be considering, it would mainly be SUNY schools as I'm a NY resident. Also would seriously consider NYMC as I could commute from home to campus. Realistically could I become competitive for these schools with my current state?

Thanks for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyways, I was curious whether Medical school would still be feasible for me at this point in my undergraduate career.

GPA is currently 3.204 with sGPA ~3.25. I still have 2 full semesters and a summer semester left of school, of which I need to take Biology 2 (lab), Chem 2 (lab), Orgo1&2 (labs) still. Could I bring my sGPA up to a respectable grade with these classes left to go?

As far as work and EC's:

~2nd in Research&Development Medical Device field, endoscopy (had thorough lab work including cadaver work and biomechanics simulations)
~3rd in Research&Development Medical Device Field, Orthopedic surgery (lots of biologics including dissecting/harvesting, chemical testing, and biomechanics)

Shadowing should be up to about ~50 hours including orthopedic surgeon, and primary care physicians.

After graduation I plan on working in the orthopedic surgery medical device field, whilst studying for MCATs and application process.

Basically I'm looking for some validation that I'm going down the right path with my current plan of attack. I'm very concerned that I will be red-lighted simply because of my GPA, without them even considering major and EC's.

As far as which schools I would be considering, it would mainly be SUNY schools as I'm a NY resident. Also would seriously consider NYMC as I could commute from home to campus. Realistically could I become competitive for these schools with my current state?

Thanks for any insight!

I feel you man. You gotta try to get that GPA up even though I think engineering is waaayyy tougher than some of the other majors. Keep working as hard as you can (I think your ECs are decently good...) Do good on the MCAT and up that GPA (I saw somewhere it was like a 3.7 avg or median, so you gotta get as close to that as possible - the higher the better lol)

Adcoms won't be very forgiving of your GPA just because you're an engineering major. Even if it is unfair, GPA is by far the most important factor, not course rigor or course load. At your GPA, you should consider applying to DO schools as well. If you could do extremely well in the rest of your classes you might be able to get somewhere near a 3.5, which would be high enough for MD schools. Of course the MCAT is important as well in gauging how competitive you'll be. A mid to high 30s score would do a lot for you. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Current GPA is too low for any NY MD school, and probably too low for NYCOM and Touro-Harlem as well. If you can ace the science req's, that should hopefully boost things up to be more comeptetive. You might get into NYMC with a GPAS as low as 3.4.

Do not think that good performance at an engineering school is equivalent to that needed for medical school. I've seen engineers come into our program and as a rule they tend to stuggle, because they have touble with the load (ie, the drinking from the fire hose thing) and the conceptual differences.

As far as work and EC's:

Thanks for any insight!

Current GPA is too low for any NY MD school, and probably too low for NYCOM and Touro-Harlem as well. If you can ace the science req's, that should hopefully boost things up to be more comeptetive. You might get into NYMC with a GPAS as low as 3.4.

Do not think that good performance at an engineering school is equivalent to that needed for medical school. I've seen engineers come into our program and as a rule they tend to stuggle, because they have touble with the load (ie, the drinking from the fire hose thing) and the conceptual differences.

Goro, this is the first I've heard this about engineers struggling in medical school due to load. If an engineer has taken the normal heavy loads throughout their ug how should they prove to medical schools that they can handle the load? I don't need a gpa boost but took my prerequisites one at a time while working full-time. Did not taking them all at once hurt my chances? Are you suggesting I go back to school to prove my bio skills mettle?

Goro, this is the first I've heard this about engineers struggling in medical school due to load. If an engineer has taken the normal heavy loads throughout their ug how should they prove to medical schools that they can handle the load? I don't need a gpa boost but took my prerequisites one at a time while working full-time. Did not taking them all at once hurt my chances? Are you suggesting I go back to school to prove my bio skills mettle?

SMP program will fix that right up for you.

So sorry! I confused you with the OP!

It's cool. I really should start my own, but I'm waiting til I take the mcat. Occasionally I peruse these threads for engineering related stuff and goro's post caught my eye. I've always been told that my background is more than adequate but I'm curious to see what his take is.

I appreciate all of the insight provided thus far.

Couple of thoughts I had, I can potentially ditch some of the Pre-Req courses during my undergrad and get a minor (highest level my university offers) in Biomedical Engineering. Would this help my chances greater then just filling the Pre-reqs?

As a result of getting this minor I would have to inevitably take some pre-reqs post BAC. After looking at some of the programs offered including SMPs, I'm a bit confused. From my understanding these SMP programs are very structured and are generally for people who haven't fulfilled many pre-reqs, would I be able to jump into these programs and only fulfill my needed pre-reqs (and go further to get the Masters) and not have to retake classes?

If so is there a significant difference in taking these classes at a CC opposed to Columbia/Fordham University?

Thanks

1) Couple of thoughts I had, I can potentially ditch some of the Pre-Req courses during my undergrad and get a minor (highest level my university offers) in Biomedical Engineering. Would this help my chances greater then just filling the Pre-reqs?

2) From my understanding these SMP programs are very structured and are generally for people who haven't fulfilled many pre-reqs,

3) would I be able to jump into these programs and only fulfill my needed pre-reqs (and go further to get the Masters) and not have to retake classes?

4) If so is there a significant difference in taking these classes at a CC opposed to Columbia/Fordham University?
1) Adcomms will not care if you have a minor. It won't enhance your chances in any way.

2) SMPs are for those who've taken all the prerequisites and already have an MCAT score. There is a different type of postbacc for career changers who have few of the prerequisites and need to prepare for the MCAT, who wish to engage in a formal program. See SDN's Postbaccalaureate Programs forum, attn to Dr Midlife's sticky for a list of each type. Read there further for response to #3.

4) If you'd like to do an informal do-it-yourself postbacc, that's fine too. Most adcomms will prefer you to take the most rigorous coursework you can afford, which as a rule means a 4-year school. Those with limited means or those working full-time during the day might be cut some slack with this expectation, though.

OK, small n here, based upon what I've seen with the few engineers who have come into our program. If you get into, say, PCOM, you might do fine there.

Goro, this is the first I've heard this about engineers struggling in medical school due to load.

SMP would be my take on it.
If an engineer has taken the normal heavy loads throughout their ug how should they prove to medical schools that they can handle the load?

OPs GPA does need a boost for any MD program. The avg matriculat has a 3.6. You''re on the low end of competetive for DO programs...their avg's are 3.3-3.4.

Yes, exactly. We've wait-listed people with a similar background. We do NOT view working full time and taking 4 credits as the same as taking 115-17 credits full time.

I don't need a gpa boost but took my prerequisites one at a time while working full-time.
Did not taking them all at once hurt my chances?

Yup!
Are you suggesting I go back to school to prove my bio skills mettle?

All at once, no. one at a time, yes
... is there a significant difference in taking these classes at a CC opposed to Columbia/Fordham University?

As far as work and EC's:

Thanks for any insight!

A 3.2 is pretty low, but it's not the end of the world.
I agree with the other posters regarding the SMP.

My advice is

1. Take your MCAT. If you get over a 35, apply to med schools ASAP.
2. Anything under that and you should apply to an SMP. Georgetown type (1 year) and BU (2 year) is up to you.
3. You've got a shot at SUNYs. There's Downstate, Stony Brook, Upstate, and Buffalo, all of which are great institutions. I highly suggest applying for those. Saving time and money by commuting to NYMC v. spending the same amount (possibly less) at a SUNY is a clear choice to me, but I don't mind being far from home.

Yes, that uGPA is a red light. It's up to your MCAT score to settle whether you still have a shot at MD.

Speaking from personal experience an SMP helped me a great deal.
My submitted AMCAS cGPA was a 2.68, and sGPA was a 2.60, with a 37 MCAT before I applied to an SMP.
Submitted my primary in mid July (way later than I should have in my situation), and my last secondary was finished in the first week of September.
4 interviews: 1 acceptance (SUNY), 2 wait lists, and 1 withdrawal.

In short, I can tell you first hand that SMPs work great for the science oriented people who had trouble in undergrad managing their drinkin time with study time.

Ace that MCAT!
Then wear the **** out of that stethoscope and rock your short short white coat.