Engineer trying to go dental, do I stand a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dream Creek

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an engineer working in Arizona for a big high tech company for 6 year. My BS in mechanical engineer in one of the top engineer schools, but with only 3.1 cGPA, 3.17sGPA, 3.6 BCP GPA (engineer class counts as sGPA so my sGPA is a lot lower than my BCP GPA) I just took the DAT and got a 23AA, 21 TS, 24 PAT. I am about to apply this cycle and super nervous about it, any opinion could help!

1. Do I stand a chance with my stats? My GPA is really low... and I heard that ENG classes are going to count toward science GPA which doesn't help me case. do they take into consideration of the school and majors of your BS background normally?

2. I know my stats is not pretty, so should I apply as many schools as possible to increase the chance?

3. I heard that dental school like engineers, anybody here was engineers before and now in dental field? any suggestions on how I should approach this topic in the PS?

Any opinions will help, Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) Cast a broad net and you could have a chance somewhere. The high DAT helps your case. Any idea what your BCP and science GPAs are? That's going to play a big role. If they're under 3.0, your chances drop significantly. Your grades in the prereqs will play a big role here, too. No, where you go to undergrad/chosen major doesn't matter for dental school. It's common knowledge that engineering majors are difficult, but a 3.1 GPA is still a 3.1 GPA. Apply and see what happens, but I'd prepare to possibly have to do a masters. The GPA is very low for having a chance at getting accepted.

2) Yes. Look into applying to many of the newer private schools.

3) Can't comment on this. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
1) Cast a broad net and you could have a chance somewhere. The high DAT helps your case. Any idea what your BCP and science GPAs are? That's going to play a big role. If they're under 3.0, your chances drop significantly. Your grades in the prereqs will play a big role here, too. No, where you go to undergrad/chosen major doesn't matter for dental school. It's common knowledge that engineering majors are difficult, but a 3.1 GPA is still a 3.1 GPA. Apply and see what happens, but I'd prepare to possibly have to do a masters. The GPA is very low for having a chance at getting accepted.

2) Yes. Look into applying to many of the newer private schools.

3) Can't comment on this. Good luck to you!

my sGPA with all the engineer classes is 3.18 (sucks that ENG classes counts towards sGPA), all BCP GPA though is at 3.6, does dental schools look at BCP?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently an engineer working in Arizona for a big high tech company for 6 year.
Hopefully you have a good reason for wanting to switch, because if I was in your situation I probably wouldn't want to. If your only option is a newer private school, then you its quite possible you'd be better off financially just being an engineer (unless you have tons of money saved up). If you don't like your job though, that's something to consider. Although, you have to ask yourself if you would really like dentistry too. Just something to think about. The ceiling is pretty high in the engineering field.