engineer want to become a dentist- help needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mech engineer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I'm an engineer from india and want to become a dentist in usa.Can anyone please tell me wht is the procedure to go about it

Please do help me

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I have a friend who did the exact same thing. she is now in her third year at a very good dental school.
just go to the dental school and tell them about what you want to do, they will guide you.
Most all schools need a bachelors here and DAT scores before you apply, so get to a university, get your ECE evaluated and ask the how many credit hours you still have to do to get a degree. since you already have a degree in your home country, you will have to do only upto 6 months or a year max. then get your DAT scores. apply to all colleges.
Its a very long procedure, but you will get there
Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
er... I believe engineers have a better time in US than dentists..(FTD) :) to tell you the truth, there are times when I wish I'd done engineering instead of BDS..

thankx dent_doc , ksr nd aspiring dentist

ur input was very helpful

er... I believe engineers have a better time in US than dentists..(FTD) :) to tell you the truth, there are times when I wish I'd done engineering instead of BDS..

i think u r the first person to say so.... you may settle soon bein an engi but u can never reach the life style of a dentist

Hi,

Pursuing dental degree in USA is not that easy. I don't mean to discourage you at all. But it's much easier for engineers than for dentists. Engineers don't have to slog like dentists. You will have to work very hard. Usually dentists get back ache, varicose veins etc. If you wish to go into healthcare field, then better go for medicine. Their work is lot easier physically than dentist work.

Hi friends,

I'm an engineer from india and want to become a dentist in usa.Can anyone please tell me wht is the procedure to go about it

Please do help me

thank you

Hi,

Pursuing dental degree in USA is not that easy. I don't mean to discourage you at all. But it's much easier for engineers than for dentists. Engineers don't have to slog like dentists. You will have to work very hard. Usually dentists get back ache, varicose veins etc. If you wish to go into healthcare field, then better go for medicine. Their work is lot easier physically than dentist work.

That's interesting. I was under the impression that dentists almost never work 60-80 hour weeks like doctors do.

Since I worked as a dental & sugical assistant, I know how my bosses were working.

n = 1, anecdotes are hardly worth talking about.

Did you also work as an engineer? It seems you are set out to stroke your ego by telling the OP how much more difficult dentistry is from everything else. Strange, since you haven't even started formal dental training yet.

- This forum is not to fight or to argue with each other, it is to share experiences & information.
- I'm a foreign trained dentist with 5 years of private practice experience.
- I'm from a family of doctors, I have oral surgeons, orthopediacians, physicians & engineers in my family, I know what they are going through & how they are managing their profession. Out of my experience, I suggested a person.
- I never told anyone, that dentistry is harder to persue than any other field, physically it is very draining.
- There is no question of ego in this forum, we are here to share experiences & opinions.
-Do not send any messages like this, which hurts others. Post your opinion.

n = 1, anecdotes are hardly worth talking about.

Did you also work as an engineer? It seems you are set out to stroke your ego by telling the OP how much more difficult dentistry is from everything else. Strange, since you haven't even started formal dental training yet.

Hi friends,

Please do help me

thank you

I usually never glance at this forum but I was killing time and I happened to see your post. I don't know if you are already in US but getting into dental school for an engineer is most definitely possible.
First and foremost shadow some dentist and make sure that this is what you want to do.

I did my mech eng in India, did Industrial Engg in US - worked for a while as an engineer before I made the switch.

Start by taking the pre-req courses, prepare for DAT and ace it. Not simple as it sounds but thats just about it. I'll be happy to help a fellow eng. PM me if you have any specific questions.