Engineering courses part of Science GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

collegechic2005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have taken some engineering courses such as computer science and statistcs. Does anyone know if these go into your science GPA when you apply for medical schools? The credits I am talking about are "EN" credits.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

collegechic2005 said:
I have taken some engineering courses such as computer science and statistcs. Does anyone know if these go into your science GPA when you apply for medical schools? The credits I am talking about are "EN" credits.

Thanks!

dont think so, i'd check the AMCAS website, there's a worksheet that really helps you out.

jammin06 said:
dont think so, i'd check the AMCAS website, there's a worksheet that really helps you out.

Your "Science GPA" is called your "BCPM" in amcas-ese. Specifically, Biology chemistry physics math. Your engineering courses aren't part of that.

Members don't see this ad :)
no.

however, you may decide to count certain classes into the 'physics' subject on the amcas.. ive heard of some other ppl using chemical engineering classes to boost up their science gpa as well. but it's all up to the discretion of amcas whether they allow you to do so or not.

hey, there's nothing that says that you can't add anything more than the bio physics and stuff into the gpa. i graduated with a biomedical engineering degree and i added courses like thermodynamics and physiology into the score. i definately think you can use that. that's what my health professions doctor told me and the admissions office said it was ok. if those courses fit in there, you can put it in. for example, when they say math, you can add in any math course. i added all the way up til differential equations and biostatistics. gluck in the apps process.