engineering internship vs medical school - interest conflict?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

californianUCer

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you had the right idea before your friends came and talked to you. Disregard the "you took a spot" nonsense, clearly it had nobody's name on it. I've heard a lot of praise for engineers because they think differently and that's a background I think medical schools appreciate. Writing about trying to find a link between medicine and engineering on your application is unique, cool and, more importantly, practical. Keep it on your app, just make sure you have some shadowing experience as well!

You're qualified for the internship. Take it, make some money, and don't go into debt over the application process. Obviously you were one of the best interviewing and regardless of if you planned on going to medical school you would have still gotten the internship opportunity. Seems like a bit of jealousy if you ask me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I'm a UCer and Engineer who has worked in biotech (i.e. Edwards LS, Baxter, blah). Your internship will never be detrimental. If anything it will only look good. It gives you material for the questions you will receive in your interview like: Why go from engineering to medicine? What outside experiences qualify you for medicine? How do you see the future of medical technology? Etc... Most of my interviewers liked how I used my degree during my gap year.

To touch on your "friends'" comments about taking a spot, that is BS. These biotech companies have high attrition when it comes to internships so even though you do leave they are well prepared. You deserve the spot, the cream always rises to the top :cool: . Most importantly, you NEED to make bank. This application process is no joke financially. I spent at least 4.5k for all applications, travel, materials and I applied to less than 20 schools -- which is not recommended as a Cali resident.

I'm going to agree with that other people have said so far. Go for the internship!

I'm an engineering undergrad and I've done a few of these internships in both biotech and pharma. I think these experiences have actually had a positive impact on my application and as you said, the money is pretty good.

Just in case you want one more opinion... you should absolutely go for the intership. You're just ovethinking this a little too much, as most of us would.

The potential interest conflict: After landing myself the internship, a lot of my friends came up and told me I took away a possible spot, a spot that would have gone to an engineer that would be otherwise working for this biotech company and have the chance to being hired fulltime afterwards

That would suck having your friends tell you that, it would hit very close to home. But like Lauren87 was saying, it doesn't have anyone's name on it, and you were the most qualified/had the best fit for the job.

"this guy is working for a biotech company as an intern. That means he has the intention of entering the workforce as an engineer. Why is he applying to medical school?" <-- am I thinking too much? Should I even put this internship experience on my application?

Don't worry about that. My school graduates plenty of biomedical engineers that do co-op's with companies that go on to medical school. I know of a couple that have been accepted. If anything, it shows that you have explored other careers and medicine is still your #1 option

your "friends" are just jealous a-hole gunners....absolutely take the internship, do a great job, make money and put it on your app because it will look very impressive. who knows they might offer you a well paying job that you'll decide to take for a year or two before med school....which would be great life experience and could give you a nice cash cushion while in med school. not everything has to be in the context of "what will med schools think of this" .....just do the best you can and follow your interests and everything will fall into place later on.

hey all, sorry for not responding for so long!...

Thanks very much for all the advice; just one more question.

Does it matter the internship is over this summer, the same time I'm applying to medical school? I'm still a little bit paranoid because of the potential conflict of interest. For those of you who are new to this thread, please read the very first post. Thanks!

I really want to put it on my app for med school but I'm really scared of putting myself in jeopardy. I have good numbers and decent ECs 3.8+ GPA and a 33 on the MCAT.

there is no "conflict of interest"

hey all, sorry for not responding for so long!...

Thanks very much for all the advice; just one more question.

Does it matter the internship is over this summer, the same time I'm applying to medical school? I'm still a little bit paranoid because of the potential conflict of interest. For those of you who are new to this thread, please read the very first post. Thanks!

I really want to put it on my app for med school but I'm really scared of putting myself in jeopardy. I have good numbers and decent ECs 3.8+ GPA and a 33 on the MCAT.
You should do it. It will differentiate you just a bit more than the next applicant. Plus, if you don't like it you can always have a good answer to why you aren't going into engineering...

I'm formerly a structural engineer, and I'm now admitted to med school.

Your friends are being idiots because they are jealous.

All of our experiences shape us, and sometimes in intangible ways--that's why you don't just take classes for your career if you get an undergrad degree. How dare they assume your internship is wasted just b/c you aren't going into engineering! Maybe someday 30 yrs from now, some tiny kernel of an idea or aspect of your character that was planted during your internship will help you and a partner shape a new life-saving medical device. Maybe that will save thousands of people.

One of the beautiful things about going into medicine as an engineer is how differently you view many parts of the human body. Originally a civil engineer, my focus was on structural materials and fluid mechanics. I will always envision the gut, the cardiovascular and skeletal system in a "civil" frame of reference that might help me think of a unique diagnosis one day, but during my education helps me explain things from a different point of view when collaborating with classmates. It's interesting, beautiful, and invaluable. With the internship, you're further establishing the unique foundation that will help you develop these similar unique attributes...your classmates are short-sighted in their inability to see its applicability.

I think what I'm doing this summer has the possibility of being misinterpreted as an interest conflict if I list it on my application.
I still don't get how this would be a conflict of interest?
The idea of being hired fulltime afterwards never really crossed my mind (because this company actually hires very few as fulltime anyways).
The idea that you're being unfair to someone who you won the internship over is silly. You could also argue that you're giving a friendly boost to your co-interns since you won't be competing for the small number of full time positions (as the company undoubtedly hires more interns than they have full time slots)

Now, I'm afraid that medical school will read it as...."this guy is working for a biotech company as an intern. That means he has the intention of entering the workforce as an engineer. Why is he applying to medical school?"
I don't see why they would think that. Only on this website would people think than at an experience or two outside of medicine means you are not "committed". Put it down, it shows an interest in science and that you're not just going down the approved pre-med checklist.

I think that you should take advantage of this opportunity and absolutely put it on your application. I am an engineering major myself but I went the co-op route instead and ended up spending 4 terms (2 semester and 2 summers) working in industry. During my interviews I talked a great deal about the time I spent in product development. You have to consider that very few applicants have that kind of experience and it is a great way to set yourself apart.

Reading your post it sounds like your mind is definitely made up with regard to your choice of medicine over engineering. Use this summer experience in your interviews to your advantage when they ask you why/how you know you want to get into medicine.

I also have been told I unethically took internships away from more qualified candidates. I actually was interested in the company, but I didn't have the qualifications they requested of an intern. I got the job through connections and experience with a particular computer app and got a great review, but apparently I should have turned down that opportunity because I didn't have the right college major listed on my resume. My point is, people say ridiculous things when they're concerned about their own futures. They were most likely motivated more by a fear of not getting engineering internships themselves and if in your position, would have felt differently.

I say take it. For one, financial stability is a very important thing and the money you can save will bring you more freedom during the applications. You'll have a unique medical experience that very few other applicants will have had (working on biotech devices). You'll probably get to do more "real work" and have more fun than in a typical premed lab rat or ER scribe position. Also, adcom members do live in the real world and I'd think they'd be understandable about the fact that you took a more lucrative job for financial reasons. If you wanted to be an engineer and not a doctor you'd be stepping into a cush engineering job right after graduation, not going through the hassle of med school applications, so I don't think they'll assume you really want to be an engineer.

Anyone that is upset about peers taking open positions are in for a rude awakening when they start working because hiring is often a very cold process. The fact of the matter is that companies offer these positions to the individuals that they feel are the best fit. Everyone who didn't get an offer were rated lower for some reason or another. The managers hiring for these positions have their own criteria and goals. Not all positions are meant to be permanent and certainly not all employees hired are expected to be lifers.

At the company where I worked the budgeting worked out that managers could choose between hiring 3 co-ops or 1 contractor. Over the course of a year the output of 3 properly managed co-ops is normally much higher than the lone contractor. With engineering interns and co-ops enjoying such a high benefit to cost ratio it isn't surprising that managers take chances on potential pre-meds. After all there is no guarantee of acceptance and there is always the chance that someone qualified enough to be accepted will change their mind.

Let's make it three, I was asked as well.