Engineering student seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmed_99

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am interested in applying to DO schools, but i am worried about my stats. i'm a biomedical engineering major with a 3.33 cum gpa with a 3.36 science gpa, volunteer experience, but i got a 21 on the mcat (6-verbal, 7-bio, 8-quant).

what about my chances based on my stats? any leeway because im an engineer major? any leeway because i am a minority (asian)? any chance for an acceptance at any DO school with these stats?

i welcome any comments. any info on how i can improve chances would be appreciated as well. thanx.

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances based on stats: probably need to improve the MCAT a few points. Any leeway for being an engineering major: maybe a little. I think it's an unwritten rule, but most schools will consider the rigor of your undergrad coursework when looking at the GPA--especially for someone with a borderline GPA. Any leeway for being minority: sorry, but med schools don't view Asians as minorities--in fact, statistically, Asians have the most difficult time getting into med school.

Retake the MCAT, shadow a DO, maybe take a class or two in the meantime and ace them.

Good luck.

To the original poster:

As an engineer, adcoms are going to expect more from you. They'll be real curious as to how an engineer could score so low in the physical sciences part of the MCAT. Definitely consider re-taking them, and shoot for an average of 9's. On the plus side, Osteopathic medicine is rooted in the belief that the human body is like a machine. You might want to explore those roots, and tie your background to Osteo med's emphasis on biomechanics and structural evaluation.