Engineering to Medicine update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VoidableStar

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a bit of an update. I posted back in September but have been able to compile more of a profile. I'd love to hear any suggestion about where you think I have a good chance of getting in. I'm a chemical engineering major that is really interested in how I can apply engineering to medicine, which has made me very interested in dual-degree programs like EnMed. If you know of particular schools with these programs, let me know!

Applying: I'd love to apply to Mayo AZ campus because they have dual-degree engineering options but I don't know if I'm just wasting my time. Other than that, I'll be applying to University of AZ, TAMU (EnMed in particular) UT at Austin, UTMB Health, UT Southwestern, University of Colorado, McGovern at UTHSCH, UT Health San Antonia. Top choices are Mayo and TAMU EnMed.

Year in School: 4th year of 5

Residence: Arizona

Major: Chemical Engineering

GPA: 3.97

MCAT: Previous practice tests have me confident that I can score at least 518, I'm hoping for higher

Research:

Thermophysical properties lab for two years (~300 hrs):
Nerve research team for one year (currently ~80 hrs, but will continue work in this lab until graduation, and plan to have ~200 hrs by then): likely won't have any publications before applying, but may have one by the time interviews role around
Protein modeling team for one semester (plan to continue until graduation; will soon be a contributing author on a paper, but it likely won't be out by interview time)
Clinical Volunteering: currently at about 80 hours at a local hospital, this may be all I can do due to COVID-19 precautions; I've begun volunteering at Red Cross Blood Drives as a Blood Donor Ambassador and am currently at about 40 hours with them.

Shadowing: currently only at ~30 hours, 25 with anesthesiologist and 5 with otolaryngologist, still seeking more but again, this may be all I get depending on COVID-19. I will likely be able to shadow a radiologist for several hours soon.

Non-Clinical Volunteering: ~350 hours total, spent two years in DC as a volunteer working with refugees and West African immigrants, volunteering at an autism foundation, currently volunteer at a children's center and as an interpreter at a volunteer representative training center. With COVID-19 I've begun volunteering at a food bank in need of help and I'm hoping to have ~20 hours with them soon, also volunteering with Red Cross as I mentioned above.

Extracurricular Activities: VP of my school's chapter of Tau Beta Pi, an engineering honor society, lead researcher in thermophysical properties group, participation in various honor society such as Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, Pi Delta Phi French National Honor Society, Golden Key International Honor Society

Employment History:

Worked two summers full-time in France, once as an administrative assistant where I helped teach English and once as a research intern for a France's National Institute of Health and Medical Research, where I contributed to their Polluscope Project aiming to create personal/portable pollution sensors for at-risk individuals; and I feel that this helped me a lot in terms of professional development.
Worked as an undergraduate TA for an introductory chemical engineering course, leading review sessions, grading homework, and answering students' questions via email and in a weekly office hour.
Since being a TA, I worked as a research assistant, first in combustion studies, then in thermophysical properties, and now in protein modeling and nerve regeneration.

Immediate family member in medicine: No

Specialty of Interest: First choice is engineering in medicine, like TAMU's EnMed program; Anesthesiology, Cardiology, Pathology

Any advice on what I can do at this point to maximize my chances of acceptance, especially at Mayo or TAMU EnMed? Again, I don't know if I'm just wasting my time with Mayo or even both, so any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No bets without an official MCAT score. Obviously with a high score, it will be easier to get considered at Mayo-AZ or other places. Use your network of current students to see how welcoming the schools are for someone with a similar background as you. We also know that Carle-IL espouses itself to be engineering friendly. I don't know about TAMU-EnMed and OOS acceptances into that track.