English as Requirement for ALL med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok,
i am having panic attacks here. I've had two quarters (read: 10 credits) of English--one composition and one Reading Lit. Does this mean I will have to go back to school and take a third quarter??? I just saw the Einstein secondary and it says I need a year of English. How many schools require a YEAR of English?

Also, what if you have done a Writing class (suffices English requirement in my school) under the Biology dept? Stupid question but, won't that help at all??? Please tell me I won't have to re-apply for post-bac to do one #@$# English class.

Having panic attacks today all over the place. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hiya Tweetie,

There is a high degree of variability between English requirements. For instance, Stanford only req's B/C/P. But Cornell also req's a year of English. You'll have to check the individual web sites for your other schools.

I would even recommend that you call/e-mail the schools that req English and explain your situation straight up, saying you've taken both a comp and lit course, do I need to take another?

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
Ok,
i am having panic attacks here. I've had two quarters (read: 10 credits) of English--one composition and one Reading Lit. Does this mean I will have to go back to school and take a third quarter??? I just saw the Einstein secondary and it says I need a year of English. How many schools require a YEAR of English?

Also, what if you have done a Writing class (suffices English requirement in my school) under the Biology dept? Stupid question but, won't that help at all??? Please tell me I won't have to re-apply for post-bac to do one #@$# English class.

Having panic attacks today all over the place. :(

geneman,
you're awesome! Thanks for clarifying. I thought I was going crazy for a while. Yes, I am currently searching and reading all the 34 school homepages (yes, I applied to *THAT* many schools) to look for English as their requirement.

:( Oh the trials of med school applications. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Tweetie,

Do you mind posting the schools that do require a full year of English after you do your researching? I'm in a simliar situation with you, I've taken an Eng Comp and an Eng Lit course but only 2 quarters worth....

UCLA Paratrooper

cool, let's start making a list of schools we've applied to and their English requirements.

ok i just was wondering does ap english count as a 1/2 semester or should i take an additional english class? im taking a comparative lit class in the fall which shows up as a class in the comparative lit dept at my school but on the transcript it says its a writing intensive course, so im wondering could that be used as english class? do med schools want you to take 2 english related classes in college or can you just have one class and ap credit? thanks.

what if you're a humanities major? i've taken so many writing-based, english-type classes that haven't been in the english department...will those count?

Most schools are not that picky about their supposed "requirements." Most of these requirements were set back in the dark ages before curriculums got so varied. I'm sure you'll all be fine with lots of humanities classes and/or 2 English classes plus a wiriting intensive course. I only had 1 quarter of Enlgish comp (tested out of 1 quarter), plus a poetry class, and no one ever asked me about it in a dozen interviews.

I think English Comp I and II would suffice. I thought most colleges had it as a requirement and everyone did it their freshman year...:confused:

Originally posted by athena21
what if you're a humanities major? i've taken so many writing-based, english-type classes that haven't been in the english department...will those count?

Most secondaries I have read mention that courses in which you have done extensive writing can satisfy this requirement. The class needs to have a focus on writing. BTW, most schools require 6 semester hours of English Lit/Comp. I think taking three quarters worth of English is > 6 semester hours (3 credits Fall semester/ 3 credits Spring semester).

if you took a semester of Lit and a semester of Comp. then you are fine.

While we are on the subject, I'm not applying until next year but was curious as to whether those requirements (English especially) need to be fulfilled before applying or whether they can be completed during the senior year of college? I only have a 1/2 year's worth of English, but am planning on taking a semester of a writing course to fulfill the requirement during my last year...

they can be completed during your senior year.
heck, i've been out of college for 5 years and am starting a community college composition class in the fall b/c i only have 1 semester of english lit. i went to a liberal arts college and took loads of humanities courses with writing, but some schools explicitly state the courses must be in the english dept. i'm not sure how strict they really are about it, but since over half the schools i'm applying to want 1 year of english, i figure it would be dumb not to take it.