English at a Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ksn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took English from a Community College a long time ago during the college summers.

How much is pre-med English a factor for medical school admittance? How much would the MCAT Verbal compensate for a lack of English credits? My MCAT is a 27 with a 12 on the Verbal.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I believe most medical schools require an English/Literature requirement, but you might want to check the programs of interest directly to see whether it must be completed at the university level.

In most cases, I think a 12 on verbal may not compensate for a missing English prerequisite. I don't think a 15 could cut it; otherwise, someone with a 15 on PS and BS might arguably be waived some of his/her science requirements? That doesn't make sense. Science requirements and MCAT are independently mandatory elements.

I think you could look into your local state universities' extension or open university options. I believe many nontrads enroll into regular university courses through these pathways. Except for paying a higher course fee, you take the course exactly the same way as the regular students.

Where are you applying? Some schools don't require English.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you fulfill the English requirement for graduation for your UG degree? If the CC credits transferred, I'm guessing a med school will take them. Congrats on your 40...

You said you took it at the CC. This should be fine for most schools, but you can call them individually to ask.

Did you take anything writing intensive in your UG? Schools will substitute for the english requirement if you ask.

You're going to have to list those credits you took when you fill out your AMCAS app, anyway. As long as it's a full year of English, it will count. If you only took a semester, then you'll need to take another.